U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM

916 posts, read 2,194,634 times
Hoag in Newport is the nicest, prettiest, etc. If you're having a straight forward pregnancy that is a great place. Children's Miller Memorial in Long Beach is the best hospital in the area though and if there are complications Hoag will send you there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM

2,498 posts, read 7,315,673 times
I had my first kid at Hoag, and while the nurses were outstanding, I was upset that my son picked up a virus at the hospital, likely in the nursery (which they still used in 1990). He ended up being in critical care for a month before we could take him home and the experience scared me away from the hospital the next time (and I insisted my next two be at bed side after the birth).

My other two were born at the Women's Hospital at Saddleback Memorial Medical Center in Laguna Hills. I was very satisfied with both deliveries at SMMC and the nurses were again outstanding. Both were more straightforward births than my first one though. I thought the rooms were very spacious and had a lovely window seat that folded out for my husband to sleep in.

Those are my takes at two places in the county. I don't know about the others because, well, I didn't have kids there. hahaha.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 52,555 times
Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I had my 2nd baby in Laguna Beach with an outstanding midwife but they closed L&D last year.

Why not check the other midwife still in practice in OC, I heard she's amazing too, she's backed by an OB. She practices in Laguna Hills. There's another midwife in Irvine (Woodbridge) but she has a birth center and does only low risk pregnancies. Midwives are great, very nurturing, provide a very safe environment for that "dream birth" you may have (they'll send you to a hospital if you develop any complication). I come from Europe where they are the norm for childbirth.

I second that hospital in Laguna Hills, my second choice after Laguna Beach for the OB/Gyns there are more open-minded. 2 of my friends gave birth in Laguna Hills with the same OB-Gyn, they highly recommended that hospital. We went there several times (ER), it was always very clean.

As for hospitals, Hoag has a sky-high c-section rate if that's not what you intend. My friend switched from St Joseph for Hoag, she didn't like the idea of sharing a room there. She didn't have a good experience there. Personally, I avoided that hospital. I was referred to by my family Dr for something unrelated to my pregnancy (but happened during my pregnancy), was being pushed to do surgery that was completely unnecessary. Enough said.

If you have the chance, attend prenatal yoga classes in Newport Beach (Newport Center Dr), the teacher is awesome, very knowledgeable of all hospitals and OB/Gyns (she was a hypno-doula). Also look at having a doula, I know another 2 that are fabulous.

I can also recommend my friend who's a chiropractor in Costa Mesa with experience with pregnant women. And there's a great massage place in Laguna Hills with divine massages for pregnant women by qualified therapists.

PM me if you need more details

Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 AM

1,159 posts, read 2,288,855 times
St. Joseph FTW!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 27,258 times
We had our first baby 5 months ago at St. Joe's in Burbank. She was a c-section so we ended up staying for 4 days. Great doctors, great nurses, great rooms.

Food was terrible and we snuck in our own a few times but it was no worse than any other hospital I've been in. If we had another baby, we'd definitely go back.

-R.

PS: Just realized I somehow ended up in the OC forum so if you're thinking of another St. Joseph's the above may not apply.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 4,735,261 times
My sister had her son at the St. Joe and she has very positive experience about this hospital. Though not related to childbirth, 2 yrs ago I hurt my knee and was in its emergency room, I was happy with their responsiveness, they'd get me on examination table, stablized me, before starting taking insurance information. I also got the referral of outpatient doctor for follow-up visits. The best thing is that, being a small hospital, there's virtually no waiting at all. That's a big thing for me esp. in crowded places like LA/ OC.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,585,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy168 View Post
I just moved to the city and I am looking for a good hospital to deliver my baby in the next 8 months. I have heard good things about St. Joseph Hospital, UCI medical Center, and Hoag Memorial. ANybody have experience with any of these, or which one to recommend?

thanks
What do you mean by 'the city'? When you are in labor, you want to be fairly close to your hospital.....

I had my daughter at Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo. They also have CHOC there, now, too. (Children's Hospital of Orange County) And they have always had an excellent neonatal unit there! My daughter ended up living in it for 2 weeks. I wouldn't have had my daughter anywhere else.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 PM
tew

209 posts, read 402,635 times
Irvine Reg. off Sand Canyon. really great.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 AM

4,831 posts, read 4,090,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy168 View Post
I just moved to the city and I am looking for a good hospital to deliver my baby in the next 8 months. I have heard good things about St. Joseph Hospital, UCI medical Center, and Hoag Memorial. ANybody have experience with any of these, or which one to recommend?

thanks
4 @ Hoag. The best service money can buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County