U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-26-2009, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 61,690 times
Default Best hospital to deliver baby?

I just moved to the city and I am looking for a good hospital to deliver my baby in the next 8 months. I have heard good things about St. Joseph Hospital, UCI medical Center, and Hoag Memorial. ANybody have experience with any of these, or which one to recommend?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-26-2009, 07:52 PM

26,365 posts, read 49,314,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy168 View Post
I just moved to the city and I am looking for a good hospital to deliver my baby in the next 8 months. I have heard good things about St. Joseph Hospital, UCI medical Center, and Hoag Memorial. ANybody have experience with any of these, or which one to recommend?

thanks

Where does your doctor deliver?
Where does he recommend?

Unread 07-26-2009, 07:58 PM

17 posts, read 61,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where does your doctor deliver?
Where does he recommend?
'
i went to a doctor once in irvine, it says they are affiliated with St joseph. I have not been to the doctor yet to confirm my pregnancy yet, so I think at this point i can choose? Seems like most of my friends are going with Hoag.

Unread 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,809,840 times
Wife had 2 at Hoag, the last in the new womens wing. Great nurses there. They make all the difference as nurses will really be the ones getting you through labor. The OB/GYN just comes it at the last minute to "catch". Would highly reccomend it.

I have also heard good things about Mission.

Unread 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM

5,110 posts, read 10,806,879 times
My wife delivered at Hoag

My grandmother had issues at St Joseph when she went in for some issues with her heart. That isn't indicative of problems in the maternal wing, but the service and facilities have turned us off going there again.

And of course, Millers Childrens Hospital at Long Beach Memorial may be the best in the area

Unread 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM

15,823 posts, read 26,593,214 times
We had babies at both Hoag and at St. Joesephs. (2 (twins) at Hoag, 3 at St. Joes). Both hospitals were great. Very positive experiences all around. Between the two, Hoag was fancier and more high tech, but the service was not as good. They were too busy. My wife had to get set up with a Pitsin drip and begin labor in the waiting room and then move to an LDR once things got going a bit. We also had an unusual but unnervuing experience at Hoag, one baby flipped over and they could not find an anesthesiologist fast enough to do a C section, so the baby was born breach - a somewhat risky procedure that most doctors will not do anymore. That did nto happen at St. Joes, but then we did not have any babies flip over at St. Joes, so there is no way to know how they would have handled it.

We also had a baby (8 months) have major heart surgury at St. Joes/CHOC. She was in intensive care for three weeks. Other than the huge extended family of smelly people and their smelly food who were permantly settled in the intensive care waiting room, it was basically pretty good. They did a good job and saved her, the surgeon and ER doctors were magnificient, but there were some unprofessional and wierd events that went on (mostly involving interns/orderlies). The liason nurse was fantastic though and remains a friend of the family.

The ocean view rooms at Hoag are wonderful. The steak and champagne dinner when you leave is a nice touch too if they still do that.

I don't think that you can go wrong with either of those two hospitals. We had overall great experiences at both. Friends who had babies at those hopsitals also reported great overall expereinces.

Unread 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM

676 posts, read 895,550 times
Quote:

thanks

Hoag and UCI. But they want your social security number and signature to their 1 inch stack of legal documents before they accept to take you in, no matter how urgent your care needs are.... but I guess all hospitals will remain like that in the U.S. until you get your FREE healthcare (and don't ditch it either. Support it 100%! Don't believe all the crap propaganda people try to fill you. Don't be mindless sheep; be thinkers and shakers. You deserve free healthcare. God knows you all pay more than enough to have it, yet haven't been given anything).

Unread 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,350,297 times
Irvine Medical. I had my son there and the experience was wonderful. They have great birthing rooms and the doctor and nurses are wonderful. Couldn't say enough about the place

Quote:

thanks

Unread 07-28-2009, 11:08 PM

110 posts, read 259,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Irvine Medical. I had my son there and the experience was wonderful. They have great birthing rooms and the doctor and nurses are wonderful. Couldn't say enough about the place
I'm assuming you mean Irvine Regional on Sand Canyon. That hospital has closed and is currently being converted to a Hoag. It won't be done until 2010.

Last edited by slang75; 07-28-2009 at 11:48 PM..

Unread 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM

500 posts, read 1,195,117 times
I was born at Hoag, and 5 of my 6 children were born there.

I really like the doctors there. They always help me sit down in the delivery room when I'm about ready to pass out from watching a baby being born.

Oh, and they take great care of my wife too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County