U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Magnificant Carlsbad, CA
1 posts, read 877 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I would personally call the rental agencies in the city that you will be living in. Ask the Manager all of your questions. Some will be understanding, some will not, don't take it personally, hang up and call the next place until you find a manager who will work with you. Each one is different. Here are a few websites you may want to take a look at:

Cazoodle Apartment Search - One Search, All Apartments, Entire Web!

Homes for rent in Mission Viejo, CA | Rental homes in Mission Viejo | Apartment and houses for rent | Homes for Lease | houses for rent | ForLeaseByOwner.com | Mission Viejo California

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community





Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,113 posts, read 42,556,275 times
Reputation: 21636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping2Move View Post
Hi everyone,

Well our story is probably not new. My husband had a great job with a solid six figure salary and during the bust last fall his company shut down his division.

Now up to that point we had stellar credit. We had a good amount in savings. We assumed it would take 3 months to find a new position. It has taken almost a year. In that time we have liquidated all of our savings and investment account and used every bit of credit to get by. Up until May, we were able to keep on top of our payments but with maxed out cards and rates continually being raised we fell behind.

Currently, we are current never late on our house payment, no judgements or evictions, we are current never late on utilities. We are current never late on our car payments. The only thing we are late on is our credit cards. We basically have had to choose between food and shelter or paying on our cards. Something had to give.

We tried for months to get help from our credit card companies with either temp lower rates or a forebarrence of some sort. We have been denied help on everything. They basically told us because we were current they would not help us. We then paid late and were told they wouldn't help us until we were current. Nice run around.

Now we finally have a job offer that will transfer us to Orange County. Our house will be sold and we will rent in OC (couldn't afford a house if we had stellar credit). His job will be in the solid six figures with a strong company. The company doesn't care about his credit because it is obvious it was due to job loss. They advised us to take the job, move and file BK to start over.

We are conflicted. We really need this job but we don't want to take it if we will be homeless or stuck in an apartment with 2 kids and a dog. We don't need a big house but we do need good schools and a kid friendly area.

How hard will it to find a home to rent with our current credit issue? Will a landlord or leasing company understand??
take the job, I don't see you have much of an option. You may not get the perfect home to rent but you will be able to find something. OC is a pretty big area.

Remember, the rental companies are hearing your story over and over. I am sure you can work something out.

As for the CC companies, they suck,,, We have seen all our interest rates double in the past month. Luckily we were able to pay most of them off as we don't have too high limits and normally pay them each month or don't carry much of a balance. A few we have had for over 20 years and we too have tried to get the rates lowered.

Good luck, I hope you will take the job and enjoy living in California.

Nital
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
 
23 posts, read 20,886 times
Reputation: 24
I am a landlord. Also look on CG and online rental sites. I know CG has some scams but I list on there when I have a vacancy and get many replies. As a LL, I would be hesitant if a prospect divulged poor credit before viewing the prop. If I met the family and felt good about them, I'd review the credit then make a decision. Some management companies have no flexibility, they have strict guidelines, but individual LL's have room. Rentals are slow now, my rentals are not in OC, but I know others have said their rentals have been sitting longer than ever. You will have more leverage now, make the move OC is great.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 AM
 
2,651 posts, read 3,184,067 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping2Move View Post
Thank you Missionhome,

I do love Mission Viejo. We actually used to live up north of LA and we drove to meet friends and attend Mariners Church. We want to be close to church and I remember MV quite well but not neighborhoods.

With our recent layoff and history will we be able to find a rental or will we be turned away because of it??? We would like to find a long-term rental.
Just so you know, Mariners church is in Irvine/Newport, Not Mission Viejo. Rick Warren's Saddleback Church is the large church in MV (Actually I think it is technically in Foothill Ranch, but don't quote me.)

Depending on how long its been since you've been to Mariners, you will find the church campus vastly different. 1. 8-10 years ago They moved the whole thing, swapping the old Bison location for a new one near Newport Coast 2. They just finished a major building campaign with new buildings for the worship center and Childrens center opened 3 years ago and a new smaller chapel for intimate traditional services & new student ministry building opening during the last year. It is my home church & I jokingly call it "Six flags over Jesus" now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
 
6 posts, read 6,884 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Just so you know, Mariners church is in Irvine/Newport, Not Mission Viejo. Rick Warren's Saddleback Church is the large church in MV (Actually I think it is technically in Foothill Ranch, but don't quote me.)

Depending on how long its been since you've been to Mariners, you will find the church campus vastly different. 1. 8-10 years ago They moved the whole thing, swapping the old Bison location for a new one near Newport Coast 2. They just finished a major building campaign with new buildings for the worship center and Childrens center opened 3 years ago and a new smaller chapel for intimate traditional services & new student ministry building opening during the last year. It is my home church & I jokingly call it "Six flags over Jesus" now.
Oh, I know Mariners is in Irvine. It has been about 2.5 years. The children's building had just opened and we had a 1 yr old. We LOVE Mariners. Kenton spoke to our hearts. We still listen to him via podcast. We are golfers and belong to a clubcorp golf club. Coto is clubcorp and we could possibly transfer out there but I don't want to be too far from Mariners. I would love to find something in between because I want to be involved in Mariners and want our kids involved. I don't want to be shuttling back and forth with a long commute. However, if we join Coto Golf then I don't want to be too far from there either. I also need good schools and lots of kids in the neighborhood.

Any suggestions are welcome. It will all boil down to who will work with us due to my husband's layoff.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,113 posts, read 42,556,275 times
Reputation: 21636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping2Move View Post
Oh, I know Mariners is in Irvine. It has been about 2.5 years. The children's building had just opened and we had a 1 yr old. We LOVE Mariners. Kenton spoke to our hearts. We still listen to him via podcast. We are golfers and belong to a clubcorp golf club. Coto is clubcorp and we could possibly transfer out there but I don't want to be too far from Mariners. I would love to find something in between because I want to be involved in Mariners and want our kids involved. I don't want to be shuttling back and forth with a long commute. However, if we join Coto Golf then I don't want to be too far from there either. I also need good schools and lots of kids in the neighborhood.

Any suggestions are welcome. It will all boil down to who will work with us due to my husband's layoff.
Well has he decided to take the job? Good luck to you.

Nita
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Malibu/Miami Beach
1,070 posts, read 2,127,900 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping2Move View Post
Hi everyone,

Well our story is probably not new. My husband had a great job with a solid six figure salary and during the bust last fall his company shut down his division.

Now up to that point we had stellar credit. We had a good amount in savings. We assumed it would take 3 months to find a new position. It has taken almost a year. In that time we have liquidated all of our savings and investment account and used every bit of credit to get by. Up until May, we were able to keep on top of our payments but with maxed out cards and rates continually being raised we fell behind.

Currently, we are current never late on our house payment, no judgements or evictions, we are current never late on utilities. We are current never late on our car payments. The only thing we are late on is our credit cards. We basically have had to choose between food and shelter or paying on our cards. Something had to give.

We tried for months to get help from our credit card companies with either temp lower rates or a forebarrence of some sort. We have been denied help on everything. They basically told us because we were current they would not help us. We then paid late and were told they wouldn't help us until we were current. Nice run around.

Now we finally have a job offer that will transfer us to Orange County. Our house will be sold and we will rent in OC (couldn't afford a house if we had stellar credit). His job will be in the solid six figures with a strong company. The company doesn't care about his credit because it is obvious it was due to job loss. They advised us to take the job, move and file BK to start over.

We are conflicted. We really need this job but we don't want to take it if we will be homeless or stuck in an apartment with 2 kids and a dog. We don't need a big house but we do need good schools and a kid friendly area.

How hard will it to find a home to rent with our current credit issue? Will a landlord or leasing company understand??
Take the move and cut all unnecessary expenditure (yes I mean all unnecessary expenditure) for a year or so and you will be back on your feet.
Been there a couple of times in my life and its not nice but there is a way out and from my experience it usually makes you sharper in the future.
Good luck and my best wishes to you for the future!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top