Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,113 times

Advertisements

My husband, son (2yrs) and I are thinking of taking a business opportunity in Santa Ana. We live in San Francisco right now and love how progressive & outdoorsy it is. Where are the cool little beach towns where we might be able to afford a beach bungalow type house, live near some hip families, great coffee shops and not on top of strip malls? We can spend about 750K to buy or $3,500 a month to rent. Love to be 35-40 minute commute from Santa Ana where we will both work. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Laguna Beach is the only thing remotely close to what you describe within OC but it'll stretch your budget and commute. The east end of Long Beach might work too.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM

15 posts, read 71,844 times
If I may add:
- Newport beach is nice. It's yachting/boating city. Lots of boats.
- Seal beach and Huntington beach are surfing cities.

In terms of commuting, I would say "Newport beach" is the best. You can go from Newport to Santa ana without taking freeways also.

regards,

Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown.renter View Post
If I may add:
- Newport beach is nice. It's yachting/boating city. Lots of boats.
- Seal beach and Huntington beach are surfing cities.

In terms of commuting, I would say "Newport beach" is the best. You can go from Newport to Santa ana without taking freeways also.

regards,
I would have mentioned NewPort Beach as well, but there are a couple of problems: 1-budget and 2-OP mentioned progressive and is moving from the bay area, won't Newport be a little too conservative for them?

Nita

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroMama View Post
My husband, son (2yrs) and I are thinking of taking a business opportunity in Santa Ana. We live in San Francisco right now and love how progressive & outdoorsy it is. Where are the cool little beach towns where we might be able to afford a beach bungalow type house, live near some hip families, great coffee shops and not on top of strip malls? We can spend about 750K to buy or $3,500 a month to rent. Love to be 35-40 minute commute from Santa Ana where we will both work. thanks!
Belmont Shore would be perfect.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM

15 posts, read 71,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would have mentioned NewPort Beach as well, but there are a couple of problems: 1-budget and 2-OP mentioned progressive and is moving from the bay area, won't Newport be a little too conservative for them?

Nita
Nita, you are probably right about the "conservative" part

regards,

Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Thanks so much for your help. What about Dana Pt and San Clemente? Seem near enough, cheaper and on the water. what are they like?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroMama View Post
Thanks so much for your help. What about Dana Pt and San Clemente? Seem near enough, cheaper and on the water. what are they like?
Too far from Santa Ana.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
The surfer towns that dot the So Cal coastline are mostly live and let live, despite voting patterns. Seal Beach votes conservative, but you wouldn't necessarily know it. There are no megachurches, no racial tensions, no gangs, etc. You have traditional grocers and alternative lifestyle grocers like Sprouts, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. There's an independent movie theater, high end dining, surf shops, etc etc. This is reflected across most of the So Cal beach towns.

Honestly, I'd suggest to look in areas you can afford that are within your commute and visit. You can get a pretty good vibe just touring an area on the weekend.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Would this include Dana pt, San Clemente, Long Beach, Huntington beach areas? That sounds great and like a place I would like to live! We are looking around with a realtor this weekend so any hints about the surfer towns would be great! thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County