Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterluke View Post
Orange County isnt gay friendly, they are materialistic BMW/Mercedes rich white people who put up flags in front of their houses and go to the crystral cathedral to pray
Turn the TV off, dearie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM

74 posts, read 216,284 times
Long Beach near Broadway or West Hollywood-

Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've recently been offered a great position out in Orange County. I've lived in Wash DC, Chicago, NYC, and now Atlanta. All of those above have been pretty gay friendly or at least have a "gay ghetto". From what I'm hearing Orange County is the conservative armpit of coastal California.

The job is located in Santa Ana and I've been looking at Costa Mesa as an area to live in. I searched on google and found that Costa Mesa has about 4 gay bars.

I would appreciate some input, I would love to take this career advancement but I also don't want to live in an area I have to be uncomfortable being who I am. Also I have a boyfriend and I do enjoy holding his hand every now and then.
In closest proximity to Santa Ana, I think you would be most relaxed in Laguna Beach, otherwise, North Hollywood, but that would be a big commute into work.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 AM

41 posts, read 106,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've recently been offered a great position out in Orange County. I've lived in Wash DC, Chicago, NYC, and now Atlanta. All of those above have been pretty gay friendly or at least have a "gay ghetto". From what I'm hearing Orange County is the conservative armpit of coastal California.

The job is located in Santa Ana and I've been looking at Costa Mesa as an area to live in. I searched on google and found that Costa Mesa has about 4 gay bars.

I would appreciate some input, I would love to take this career advancement but I also don't want to live in an area I have to be uncomfortable being who I am. Also I have a boyfriend and I do enjoy holding his hand every now and then.

I don't think that anywhere you live in California would make you feel left out, but some places are more friendly than others. In general if you don't get in anyone's face, people won't get in your face.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM

41 posts, read 106,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
If you want to express affection for your boyfriend in public, OC ain't for you, for the most part. Folks in OC are generally pretty tolerant and most don't care if you are gay or not, but it is more conservative and they would just rather not see two guys smooching (for my part, I don't care because two guys kissing in public ain't the end of the world). Think West Hollywood, Laguna Beach or Palm Springs for more tolerant environments in that regard.

Generally true. If you start acting out too much, if wouldn't be the best idea.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
I've noticed that people are looking at my wife and I funny after many years. We're a mixed couple I think it's because of me blue eyes and blond hair and my wifes brown hair brown eyes. I think people are reverting back to a mentality that was supposed to be gone a long time ago.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,749,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Well, they think Ronny Regan is a saint there(literally) so extrapolate from that.
Who is Ronny Regan? Are you referring to the late President Ronald Reagan?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,749,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterluke View Post
Orange County isnt gay friendly, they are materialistic BMW/Mercedes rich white people who put up flags in front of their houses and go to the crystral cathedral to pray
Is there something wrong with flying the "Stars and Stripes"?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 PM

484 posts, read 818,319 times
I think there's a high probability that someone would get in your face at some point about your holding your boyfriend's hand in public while in OC. There's no question that two men holding hands in OC would at least occasionally invite stares and snickers. I've seen people scream invectives about gays in SF a couple of times, but in SF there are a lot of people who are quite ready to scream back (and more) in response, so the bigots are pretty much outnumbered.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM

18 posts, read 20,930 times
OC is disgustingly conservative. I have lived here for 15 years and I am on my way out. It is almost as though people here are making up for the Hollywood life. I live in Anaheim I kid you not, there is a church in every other block!
There are pockets of gay friendly areas.
But in CA, I'd say the most gay friendly places are Palm Springs and San Francisco. But both are pretty far away from Santa Ana. I work in Santa Ana - not gay friendly if you ask me.
Folks in OC can be unfriendly or if they are friendly, it is very shallow, mostly fake smiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County