Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,952 times

Advertisements

If you take the average income of your five best friends, you will see where YOU fit in the social class. Something you should want instead of money is class. Being rich dosn't bring class, class is something learned or taught with being around the people that you know have it. If you want to be rich pick an occupation that pays well and work hard at it, its that simple.

Taxes aren't too high, you just can't afford them. Don't blame the government for YOUR failure. Those who have money make the rules, but that dosn't mean you can put your failures on them.

Invest wisely. The stock market is run by a bunch of rich people who hire the best mathematicians to calculate when to buy all of YOUR stocks and take all of your money. The safest way to make money is to put it with a professional trade for it. Investing it into stocks is handing your money to rich. Dont' do it. Of couse there are people who make money off the stock markets. Don't you think the rich are letting you win every once in a while to still play the game? To not rage quit? Invest with the professionals, and you will find your money grow.

Save 10% of your total income and just put it in the bank. Don't touch it no matter what. Use that money you save for investments and opportunities. You don't have to be at the right place at the right time to get lucky. You have to be every place at every time. This is the simple path to success. I myself will buy a 60k car out of college, but this is because I can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,327,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naniekso View Post
If you take the average income of your five best friends, you will see where YOU fit in the social class. Something you should want instead of money is class. Being rich dosn't bring class, class is something learned or taught with being around the people that you know have it. If you want to be rich pick an occupation that pays well and work hard at it, its that simple.

Taxes aren't too high, you just can't afford them. Don't blame the government for YOUR failure. Those who have money make the rules, but that dosn't mean you can put your failures on them.

Invest wisely. The stock market is run by a bunch of rich people who hire the best mathematicians to calculate when to buy all of YOUR stocks and take all of your money. The safest way to make money is to put it with a professional trade for it. Investing it into stocks is handing your money to rich. Dont' do it. Of couse there are people who make money off the stock markets. Don't you think the rich are letting you win every once in a while to still play the game? To not rage quit? Invest with the professionals, and you will find your money grow.

Save 10% of your total income and just put it in the bank. Don't touch it no matter what. Use that money you save for investments and opportunities. You don't have to be at the right place at the right time to get lucky. You have to be every place at every time. This is the simple path to success. I myself will buy a 60k car out of college, but this is because I can afford it.
It sounds like you have all the answers, college student.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naniekso View Post
I myself will buy a 60k car out of college, but this is because I can afford it.
That's a great way to throw away $2.5M in retirement savings. If you bought a $20K car instead and stuck the other $40K in a mutual fund earning 10% a year, that $40K jumps to $2.5M by the time you are 64 years old.

The sum total of all the new cars I will ever buy for myself probably won't be $60K. New 1987 Toyota 4WD pickup: $8700 (owned for 213K miles), New 1998 F-150 4WD Supercab: $19900 (170K miles and counting). Next car will be less than $30K and that might be my last car.

Conservative rule of thumb is new car worth 20% of income. Maybe a neurosurgeon can pull this off, but most of us can't.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,444,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV808 View Post
It's all fake wealth, which is why OC leads when it comes to foreclosures.

These are the wealthiest counties in the United States:

Wealthiest by top 5% Household Income:

1. New York, NY: $857,643
2. Fairfield, CT: $822,708
3. Westchester, NY: $793,134
4. Somerset, NJ: $625,869
5. Marin, CA: $624,762
6. Montgomery, MD: $567,190
7. Hunterdon, NJ: $554,015
8. Morris, NJ: $546,982
9. Nassau, NY: $538,307
10. San Francisco, CA: $523,744

Census Bureau Home Page

Metro % of Adults who are High Net Worth Individuals ($1M+ in investable assets)

New York City 3.6%
San Francisco 3.4%
Boston 2.9%
Washington 2.9%
Chicago 2.2%
Detroit 2.2%
Los Angeles/OC 2.0%
Philadelphia 1.8%
Houston 1.5%

Powered by Google Docs

Orange County is nowhere near one of the wealthiest counties in the US, but it is significantly flashier than most of these places.

It doesn't take much to lease a BMW or Mercedes anyway. The flashy types are usually wannabees who are one paycheck away to bankruptcy. The flashiness of S. OC would be seen as crass up here in the Bay Area.
You're arguing that OC isn't a wealthy area?

Seriously?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,130,987 times
Aren't there two Orange Counties? Seems that when folks think of its affluence they're focusing on the Southern and Coastal areas and don't realize there's a whole other less glitzy part of it.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,155,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Aren't there two Orange Counties? Seems that when folks think of its affluence they're focusing on the Southern and Coastal areas and don't realize there's a whole other less glitzy part of it.
Like for example, Heil Ave. & Gothard St. in HB.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,791 times
wow;this is one of the more disappointing threads....OC has money b/c some of it is fake,true. And some folks commute to LA,and some folks telecommute,or work from home. otherwise,even folks who dont have money in OC have that OC 'look' for the most part. Some people rent,not own,but you may think the own. and frankly,so cal is not that hard on vehicles,so you can own a 10 yr old BMW,mercedes or lexus and it can still look pretty new-esp. if you garage and keep it clean.
just sayin'.
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is: What is OP's agenda?
Are you saying how do people in OC make the money to live like they 'seem' like they live,or are you saying they should not live like this?

Yes,typical socalist college student programming=not even clear logic and straightforward with agenda. It's all change agent jargon now-clear thinking is hard to come by.

Anyway,I live in so cal,and drive a 1993 honda,husband has a 1990 camry. i dont resent people driving new bmw's,although i cannot afford one. i really don't care. I DO care when people insist on driving ridiculous suvs that hog the road,and when they drive them carelessly with no regard towards others. And that lack of regard is a huge problem in so cal and OC. However,survey the number of OC residents FROM SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE OF CA....and you will surely see: It is not 'californians' who are the problem. It is individuals who choose to move to *certain* areas of CA to perpetuate a lifestyle that suits their image of themselves and their life.

Meh. it's not for me,and like i said,the lack of regard is causing problems,country wide,not just in CA,BUT,it is their choice to life their life the way they want to. THey are not required to submit to popular opinion that says one must feel guilty or bad for having money or expensive 'things'. They are not required to spend their lives giving things to others.

BTW,what GETS me about this line of discussion in general,is how LITTLE is gets mentioned that the working poor are even greater consumers than the wealthy or 'flashy wealth' folks. Walmart,malls,etc. are filled with people,and flat screens and shiny rims are standard in any hood.

So,you know,it's really flippin' hypocritical for someone to start a thread on city data discussing how much they disdain people living flash. what's your point?
I dont like it either-but hey,to each his own.

And,I have said it before,and will say it again: italians and french do not have to defend their appreciation and love of high quality food,items,clothing,art,etc. why should americans? In the US,it is difficult to find 'quality' that is not also 'flashy and expensive',both.

But some of us like a nice aesthetic,and sadly,in our country,this is seen as wasteful or show off. And,of course,for many people,esp. in the OC,they are more into image than appreciation,true. But not the case across the board.

But I have no problem with nice cars-it's actually depressing going to places where all old american cars are driven. they are so ugly. yea,yea,i know,functionality is key. yea,well,most of the former USSR is fairly ugly building- wise,too.

Anyway,back to my 93 accord with 200k.(:
Peace out.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-19-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
And,I have said it before,and will say it again: italians and french do not have to defend their appreciation and love of high quality food,items,clothing,art,etc. why should americans? In the US,it is difficult to find 'quality' that is not also 'flashy and expensive',both.
There's quite a difference though between American and French/Italian consumption habits. We prefer to buy loads of low quality junk that we can just throw away while they tend to buy fewer but much higher quality items that last longer. They tend to get around town more on foot, scooters, motorcycles, or small cars rather than big sedans and SUVs. They spend much more of their lives in public spaces whereas we sequester ourselves inside our palatial homes when we're not spending 10-12 hours a day at an office. Also, they don't spend so much time in their cars that they have to eat in them. I have friends from there who think the amount of time we spend in our cars and the things we do in them are absolutely ridiculous.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,692,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There's quite a difference though between American and French/Italian consumption habits. We prefer to buy loads of low quality junk that we can just throw away while they tend to buy fewer but much higher quality items that last longer. They tend to get around town more on foot, scooters, motorcycles, or small cars rather than big sedans and SUVs. They spend much more of their lives in public spaces whereas we sequester ourselves inside our palatial homes when we're not spending 10-12 hours a day at an office. Also, they don't spend so much time in their cars that they have to eat in them. I have friends from there who think the amount of time we spend in our cars and the things we do in them are absolutely ridiculous.
Your stereotypes are for a small portion of people. Just like the stereotypes of French being snooty and unwelcoming to foreigners and Italians being greasy guidos(granted I am a pretty greasy Italian). It's easy to paint a wide brush when you're not the one that's targeted by the crap you're spewing

Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Your stereotypes are for a small portion of people. Just like the stereotypes of French being snooty and unwelcoming to foreigners and Italians being greasy guidos(granted I am a pretty greasy Italian). It's easy to paint a wide brush when you're not the one that's targeted by the crap you're spewing
Whom am i supposedly targeting? i'm very familiar with French and Italian culture and there is a very real contrast between the consumption habits of the average Italian or Frenchman and those of the average American. Since I've been an American my whole life I'm also extremely familiar with what people spend their money on here. Please tell me what I've said that you dispute? Yes, average implies broad brush. That's what averages do. Just go to a grocery store in a small town in France or Italy and then go to one here. See what people put in their baskets. You'll notice the difference I'm describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County