U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM

25 posts, read 30,561 times
Default Where NOT to live

Hi everyone, i have been reading for some time and decided to join
We myself, husband and daughter aged 7, are moving to southern CA in or around April next year.
We plan on renting at least for a year or so, as to be honest we love orange county but im sure from a holiday perspective to living is going to be totally different!
There are tons of areas that we like but to be honest the area orange and surrounding counties just seem so vast!!
I have read tons of posts here, where people have recommended certain areas and to be honest its like a needle in a haystack or spoilt for choice
So to narrow it down,
1) we would like a community that I suppose we can rent a condo/townhouse/house, 3 beds for around $2,000? not sure if this is way out??

2) good, public schools -elementary.
3) Friends!! we love to meet people so that also would be good!
I suppose I could think of more but those are really important factors for us as a family from the UK.
I have seen so many places, that seem to fit the bill,
but are there areas where we SHOULD AVOID?
again, without repeating myself we do love orange county but could look at LA county too?
thank you and look forward to some much needed help!
CAbound2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 AM

8,768 posts, read 11,482,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbound2010 View Post
but are there areas where we SHOULD AVOID?
again, without repeating myself we do love orange county but could look at LA county too?
thank you and look forward to some much needed help!
CAbound2010
Do you work? If so, where? Avoid anywhere a great distance from work. Also, avoid anywhere that you don't feel comfortable in when you visit.

You can look in LA County too, it's just a line and you are free to cross it. The same applies.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Hi there, yes we both work, but will probably rent a small office, near to where we find a place. We can actually work from home, but we will need some kind of office space, in orange county that we can commute to perhaps once a week.
Its so confusing everytime I think we have found 'The place' someone posts another area in orange county! I suppose its spoilt for choice, I like the idea of tustin, and also Laguna, not beach but hills but I think that may be a little out of our price range

Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM

8,768 posts, read 11,482,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbound2010 View Post
Hi there, yes we both work, but will probably rent a small office, near to where we find a place. We can actually work from home, but we will need some kind of office space, in orange county that we can commute to perhaps once a week.
Its so confusing everytime I think we have found 'The place' someone posts another area in orange county! I suppose its spoilt for choice, I like the idea of tustin, and also Laguna, not beach but hills but I think that may be a little out of our price range
Tustin is a fine city (I have family there.). If you think it would work for you, then go for it!

Basically, you have the choice of living anywhere you like within your price range. So, find a place you like (that you can afford), and set up shop.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM

5,112 posts, read 11,653,616 times
If you like Tustin(which is an established suburb), you may like it out on the west end of the county. You should be able to find a 3bd condo/townhouse/apt for rent at/under 2k in Los Alamitos/Rossmoor or Cypress. Both areas have excellent school systems and are very family oriented. Established area, safe, lots of families and family activities, etc.

As far as areas to avoid entirely: Midway City, Stanton.
Cities that you need to be careful in selecting a place: Santa Ana, Anaheim, Garden Grove, Westminster, Costa Mesa, Orange

Old 11-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Thank you ive got my note pad writing the areas you said!
thanks again Im just looking at homes in tustin area it looks beautiful

Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,242,601 times
I will put together a list of cities where you have no friends. PLese tell me who you know.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I will put together a list of cities where you have no friends. PLese tell me who you know.
sorry?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 15,497 times
I have lived in the city of Brea for two years now. I rent a one bedroom apartment for $1,300. Brea is a relative "small" city by Ca standards. It is clean, safe, and centrally located to Anaheim, the beach, and LA. Yorba Linda is also a very nice place to live with good schools. Rent for a 3 bedroom house might be around $2,500 and up. Working close to where you live is a great time saver too. Traffic is really, really bad in Orange County. Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfairlady2 View Post
I have lived in the city of Brea for two years now. I rent a one bedroom apartment for $1,300. Brea is a relative "small" city by Ca standards. It is clean, safe, and centrally located to Anaheim, the beach, and LA. Yorba Linda is also a very nice place to live with good schools. Rent for a 3 bedroom house might be around $2,500 and up. Working close to where you live is a great time saver too. Traffic is really, really bad in Orange County. Hope this helps.
thank you that helps! i always see people on here not liking the traffic, but trust, when your from the UK, you know all about the traffic. lol
it generally starts at around 5 in the morning, finishes at around 10am, then starts again at about 2.30pm and finishes at about 9pm
so we only have about 2 hours a day without traffic, what should be a 10 min journey in the car can take anything upto an hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County