Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:55 PM

24 posts, read 89,351 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the various sources of wealth is in the OC. From what I understand, there is a lot of wealth there, and lots of the folks on the board talk about there being tons of opportunity.
What are the industries that is driving all the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 04:46 PM

73 posts, read 448,885 times
I have watched OC industries change since 1975. In the early days the oil industry pumped a lot of money into the area. Then it was defense, and now, the financial industries. In the past 5 years the mortgage industry has boomed and I could see new financial services buildings pop up all over. The mortgage industry is heading for a collapse. I am curious what will happen to the OC economy as the housing market crashes. OC will probably need to reinvent itself once again, perhaps putting more emphasis on the technology sector.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:28 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
I have watched OC industries change since 1975. In the early days the oil industry pumped a lot of money into the area. Then it was defense, and now, the financial industries. In the past 5 years the mortgage industry has boomed and I could see new financial services buildings pop up all over. The mortgage industry is heading for a collapse. I am curious what will happen to the OC economy as the housing market crashes. OC will probably need to reinvent itself once again, perhaps putting more emphasis on the technology sector.
'FP' True,the sub prime mortgage business is somewhat going south but they are really only a small portion of economy that have driven O.C. The financial institution is still strong. Hi tech is going great. Boeing is still stuffing money into O.C. Defense is still being funded here. Because of the great all around weather, great beaches all kinds small and meduim size businesses spring up. Service industries is big here. Those big boats out in the local harbors need constant care, for instance.

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 05-26-2007 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 05-26-2007, 06:10 PM

OC is good at reinventing itself and catching on quickly to the latest hot spot in the economy.

It is funny the mailman just arrived and I just opened this letter in the mail. It is from HomeLoanCenter/CashFast advertising their mortgage refinancing. The address? 163 Technology Drive, Irvine, CA. I wonder why such letter don't come from New Jersey or Nebraska or somewhere else. They always seem to come from OC.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 PM

422 posts, read 758,341 times
It's good to keep in mind that there's a difference between wealth and economic activity.

The coastal parts of California are known for having rich people from all over the world coming there and buying homes. This brings a tremendous amount of wealth into the region, which is visible, but does not mean that great amounts of economic activity are taking place locally.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:06 PM

Paddington, that is very true. Also noticed a lot of people from China are buying up property in OC after the Chinese economic boom.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:24 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,687 times
Many people own their own businesses or have invested their money in real estate.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 AM

24 posts, read 89,351 times
I notice that there was reference to outsiders coming in to buy beachfront homes - a form of 'imported' money. I was wondering along those lines: how many people were generating high levels of income from home-grown business versus those who arrive with a big amount of money and buy into the OC lifestyle.

I'm assuming lots of expensive parts of the west coast have imported wealth. Could that also be one of the big reasons why real estate prices grew in such a way that median home prices don't mirror median income levels? Looks like the real estate market has an interesting period ahead right now but as long as there's a group of outsiders (with cash) wanting to move there, there will be some level of a buffer against a major price crash. But it does look like the real estate growth boom is over.

Well, with diverse economic drivers pushing your economy, you might be better positioned to handle any bubbles that burst.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:51 PM

253 posts, read 376,110 times
I find that it's mostly entrepreneurial, and as Paddington said there isn't necessarily a connection between wealth and local economic activity.

For example: I'm a bestselling author, my neighbor across the street is a developer, my next-door neighbor is a high-profile personal trainer who owns a gym, a friend we had dinner with last night owns hotels nationwide, etc.

So other than the training gym, none of these sources of wealth have an economic base in OC.

It also shows that there is not necessarily any one industry tied to OC ... it's all about the individual finding his niche and making a living with it.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:20 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,425 times
90% of the businesses in the OC are entrepeneurial and have less the 50 employees which leaves the economy very very balanced as we don't rely on one industry for jobs etc. Venture capalist poor money into the area based on the technology, finance and a huge travel business. You see strong sales, marketing industry locally with service jobs outsourced to cheaper areas. But where do the CEO's, VP's etc want to be, it is here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: