Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 AM

81 posts, read 331,896 times

Advertisements

I bring my daughters to horseback lessons every Saturday and take that La Zanja St. to get to the stables. I felt completely safe on three different occasions to get out of the car to look at some yard-sale stuff. Almost every week I see rental moon-bounces set up on the home lawns for the kids to enjoy, and I smile looking at those cute babies and little children carried or walking next to their mothers. This area definitely looks low-income, but I would never describe it as dangerous or ghetto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Default Just an observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
SJC certainly isn't as bad as Chicago.

The fact that it has a dump in it bothers me more than the residents, LOL!
Just started reading this with interest, since I never knew about a bad part of SJC, even though I grew up in OC. While the worst parts of SJC are certainly not as bad as Chicago's, I would also add that the best parts are also far from being as nice as the best parts of Chicago's as well.

You just have to pick and choose wherever you are, I guess!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,201 times
I work at the middle school nearby. The area is know for its gangs, drugs, and even hookers. These are the parents of my students. Definitely don't drive there again. It's very dangerous. The reason they gave you weird looks is because they fear you are from another gang and are "creepin up " on them. They always stare at people in fear. It's very sad becasue that is what my eleven year old have to go home to every day. They do not know any other lifestyle than to be sworn into a gang.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 PM

92 posts, read 267,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city1111111 View Post
I work at the middle school nearby. The area is know for its gangs, drugs, and even hookers. These are the parents of my students. Definitely don't drive there again. It's very dangerous. The reason they gave you weird looks is because they fear you are from another gang and are "creepin up " on them. They always stare at people in fear. It's very sad becasue that is what my eleven year old have to go home to every day. They do not know any other lifestyle than to be sworn into a gang.
Finally a person who can admit that all of San Juan isn't perfect. Seriously the Swallows don't even return there anymore (at least not in the numbers they did in the '80's). What does that tell you when even the birds don't want to live there? This after they have been migrating there for over 100 years?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel13 View Post
San juan capistrano gang are not ****en crips. you people talk about the gang like you know something about it. You people don not know ****. crips are for black gangs not mexicans. You are all probably a bunch of rich people with too much time in your hands and have nothing better to do but talk about things you do not understand.Why?, because things that you do not understand scare you.
Wow sorry. I just know they are called SJC. And you are very ignorant to think that there are no Mexican bloods or crips, I have met my fair share. Also yes I am very rich that is why I moved out of OC because I couldn't afford it anymore. That neighborhood doesn't scare me, I lived there for 7 years back in the late '80's and early '90s when things were much worse than they are now. Maybe you are just too young to remember. I have also had run-ins with the Asian gang AKP when 20 of them were beating my friend to death at the Burger King at Crown Valley and Greenfield and I had to single-handedly take matters into my own hands with just a baseball bat. Maybe I know more about gangs than you care to realize. Ever heard of Crow Village in Stanton? I used to live right at the corner of Beach and Chapman. I was locked up in California Youth Authority with Shorty from Crow Village. I think I know a little about gangs. Excuse the **** out of me if I thought the "C" in SJC stood for crips. Maybe you should know a little more about a person before you talk $hit out of your a$$. Peace homie.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagrig View Post
I bring my daughters to horseback lessons every Saturday and take that La Zanja St. to get to the stables. I felt completely safe on three different occasions to get out of the car to look at some yard-sale stuff. Almost every week I see rental moon-bounces set up on the home lawns for the kids to enjoy, and I smile looking at those cute babies and little children carried or walking next to their mothers. This area definitely looks low-income, but I would never describe it as dangerous or ghetto!
Take a walk down La Zanja at night and let us all know how it goes?

It certainly isn't Hawaiian Gardens or Stanton, but if you are a middle aged white woman I would be amazed if you made it down the street with zero problems. At best you are going to get some rude comments about being in the wrong neighborhood at worst you could get robbed, raped, and murdered. Try it.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM

101 posts, read 283,467 times
there are lots of places in OC like that.

commodore circle in HB (its a few miles from the beach at the most) off of beach and indianapolis
the continentials in HB (adams and bushard... again just a few miles from the beach)

they are like little pockets of low rent areas that are smack dab in the middle of nicer areas.

sjc as a whole is nice. i wouldnt let that one spot put me off

Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
there are lots of places in OC like that.

commodore circle in HB (its a few miles from the beach at the most) off of beach and indianapolis
the continentials in HB (adams and bushard... again just a few miles from the beach)

they are like little pockets of low rent areas that are smack dab in the middle of nicer areas.

sjc as a whole is nice. i wouldnt let that one spot put me off
I agree completely. San Juan is for the most part a great area, it is just frustrating how some people put on blinders and pretend that those bad neighbourhoods don't exist.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
I agree completely. San Juan is for the most part a great area, it is just frustrating how some people put on blinders and pretend that those bad neighbourhoods don't exist.
Hmmm... we've been seriously considering buying around Camino Capistrano across the train depot nearer the freeway. I'm told the gang problems are much less now and that the area is patrolled 24 hrs. (I'm talking to residents in the area, not just real estate agents lol!)... So I guess it's a good thing they have round the clock security, then again, it's too bad they NEED 24 hour security.

BTW, the residents seem to like living there quite a bit!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hmmm... we've been seriously considering buying around Camino Capistrano across the train depot nearer the freeway. I'm told the gang problems are much less now and that the area is patrolled 24 hrs. (I'm talking to residents in the area, not just real estate agents lol!)... So I guess it's a good thing they have round the clock security, then again, it's too bad they NEED 24 hour security.

BTW, the residents seem to like living there quite a bit!
It is true that the gang problem is much less than say the late '80's early '90's, but there are still some gang issues. The police presence and laws that crackdown on gang members have helped a lot. Overall it is a nice, but overcrowded, place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County