Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,056,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
FWIW, the OP moved to Hawaii three years ago and apparently loves it. At least per the last post made in 2012.
Good point Goozer. I guess I am beating a dead horse. Yes for some inexplicable reason I couldn't help myself since I am a born again Californian (a returned California) from the east coast and truly am happy to be back in California, not to mention Orange County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,151,010 times
Honolulu. The weather is perfect and the beaches are paradise. Stunningly beautiful, more laid-back, and nicer (more down to earth) people.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 PM

643 posts, read 1,479,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Ladera and Laguna Niguel are both inland communities. If you're looking for that "beach" type of scenery and lifestyle you should look at some of the cities in southern california on the coast.
Laguna Niguel is not inland per se'. I live in Laguna Niguel, where it borders with Dana Point and have a partial ocean view from my back yard. I'm staring at wide expanse of beautiful ocean on Crown Valley about 2-3 minutes out of my driveway in my car, and enjoy an ocean surf view every day on my way to the grocery store. Less than 3-5 minutes from Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) depending on the traffic lights.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:56 AM

46 posts, read 81,727 times
I believe CA, would be the best option to relocate since its weather is not only supporting but overall the people & surrounding is good enough. Moderator cut: Removed advertisement

Last edited by bhcompy; 12-23-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM

282 posts, read 445,098 times
The ocean is way better in Hawaii hands down, but sadly it's so isolated, and like if you wanted to go somewhere you got to put together a ton of money for a plane ticket back to the states (as opposed to a simple drive), and also just like Alaska the cost of certain staples and luxury items (read: electronics are a luxury item, for example) are elevated really high because they have to import it by ship or plane. Also everything is way more expensive there.

But even if you're super rich and can afford the sky-high cost of living and traveling to the states, still I wouldn't want to live there because it's so isolated and far away from everything.

Not to mention it's actually a dormant volcano (the islands ARE the volcano, made from the volcanic lava from eruptions), and in fact it could become active again at any time (Pompeii, anyone?).

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM

521 posts, read 728,288 times
I lived in Orange County Mission Viejo area and am very familiar with Ladera Ranch and Laguna Niguel and personally I hate those places. We moved from San Clemente (best city in OC IMO) to Kauai this year. We moved because we love warm weather as well but were totally over the crowdedness of OC. However, Honolulu isn't much better and has terrible traffic. I think I would choose OC over Honolulu since it's just as crowded and 1/3 more expensive. BUT moving to Maui or Kauai would give you that warm weather with less crowds and pollution. I would choose Maui/Kauai over anywhere on the mainland hands down.
The pros of OC - A ton to do. There are beaches, mountains, hiking, dining, shopping, etc at the tip of your fingertips. And pretty mild weather although it can get chilly at night and summers can be hot inland (ladera ranch), decent schools.
The cons of OC - overly crowded, materialistic, expensive to live somewhere nice, keeping up with the Jones's mentality very common, rat race.
The pros of Hawaii - weather, not polluted (outside of Oahu), super laid back friendly people, very family oriented, kids love it! A simple, healthy way of living with no rat race.
The cons of Hawaii - cost of living 1/3 higher than OC, schools suck (most of our friends home school or send to privates), and that's all I can think of. Oh, some get island fever.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 PM

I am bumping this thread up since I recently returned from a very long vacation in Kauai (and to a lesser extent, two other islands). While there, I explored the possibility of a future move for us to Kauai, perhaps in retirement, or sooner.

Honestly, while Kauai is absolutely gorgeous, it is rural and lacking in sufficient amenities (especially cultural ones) as far as I am concerned. Home prices there seemed about the same as here, although building materials are very high. Food prices were a bit higher in Kauai, but not shockingly so. Many people in Kauai came across as very provincial to me. I think that once the beauty ceased being a blinding factor, the boredom would set it...at least for us. I would never trade OC for Kauai for living full time. That said, it is a wonderful place to visit. Californians on vacation are in very high numbers in Hawaii.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 PM

547 posts, read 771,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am bumping this thread up since I recently returned from a very long vacation in Kauai (and to a lesser extent, two other islands). While there, I explored the possibility of a future move for us to Kauai, perhaps in retirement, or sooner.

Honestly, while Kauai is absolutely gorgeous, it is rural and lacking in sufficient amenities (especially cultural ones) as far as I am concerned. Home prices there seemed about the same as here, although building materials are very high. Food prices were a bit higher in Kauai, but not shockingly so. Many people in Kauai came across as very provincial to me. I think that once the beauty ceased being a blinding factor, the boredom would set it...at least for us. I would never trade OC for Kauai for living full time. That said, it is a wonderful place to visit. Californians on vacation are in very high numbers in Hawaii.
where in Kauai did you stay? We went to Lahaina, Honolulu and Kapaa during our honeymoon and absolutely loved Hawaii islands...would love to move there or at least maybe retire there one day. I think Maui would be our choice, Honolulu was too busy and Kauia was too rural. Although if I needed to have a job, I would probably need to be in Honolulu.

That said, still waiting on hearing back from my skype interviews to move to OC...it's not cold yet here in the northeast but it's about to get dark and cold very soon...need to have that warm weather!

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
where in Kauai did you stay?
Mostly at a resort in Poipu, but become very familiar with the Kappa/Wailua area.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 PM

547 posts, read 771,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Mostly at a resort in Poipu, but become very familiar with the Kappa/Wailua area.
I loved the Poipu beach area...Puka Dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County