Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times

Advertisements

Every March, school districts hand out layoff notices and bemoan their lack of finances. Every August, they hire back most employees and get their finances. The schools are not broke.

The government does not run businesses well, nor does it hire people who run businesses. It hires educators who become administrators over your money. Educators who become superientendants, principals, business assistants and a group of school board members (citizens with various backrounds) do not have the knowledge to run a business. Much like the govenor, Swarztneger was an actor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM

101 posts, read 607,938 times
Schools aren't broke? Are you serious? The cuts have been severe in the last three years. Schools ARE broke. I do agree with you that business training should be required for administrators, but to think that the billions in cuts haven't crippled schools is delusional.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM

64% of the students enrolled in Westminster High School located in Orange County receive a free lunch and breakfast. Their are 2700 students at the school. It cost $900-1000 to feed each kid. 1728 X 900 =$1,555,200.
This is one school, can you imagine the cost to feed the students in the whole state?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
You can blame the teachers unions for putting teachers before students & education.

For most schools the single largest expense is teachers salaries. So if laying off teachers will keep the budget in balance then so be it. I say either cut teacher salary or increase class size. A combination of both is most effective. If the teachers don't like they are always free to get another job...Good luck in 10% unemployment. These teachers know that once they get laid off the next job for them in wal-mart, no joke.

Quote:
64% of the students enrolled in Westminster High School located in Orange County receive a free lunch and breakfast. Their are 2700 students at the school. It cost $900-1000 to feed each kid. 1728 X 900 =$1,555,200.
This is one school, can you imagine the cost to feed the students in the whole state?
all I know is that education in CA consumes 50% of the budget. Not sure if free lunch is factor into that.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
Schools aren't broke? Are you serious? The cuts have been severe in the last three years. Schools ARE broke. I do agree with you that business training should be required for administrators, but to think that the billions in cuts haven't crippled schools is delusional.
Have any schools been shut down due to lack of funds?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Have any schools been shut down due to lack of funds?
In South OC, La Tierra Elementary and O'Neill Elementary were both closed last year due to a lack of funds to save money in Saddleback Valley Unified.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Not the best news out of Orange County:

Strike: Capo attendance at 30% | teachers, students, district - News - The Orange County Register

Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Indeed not good news. Tragic and sad times for south Orange County and the 52,000 kids in Capistrano Unified. I decided not to send the kids to school today and called them out. Yesterday they were two of about 400 kids that showed up to Capo Valley High. The student parking lot had 30 cars.

They spent the day taking "personality tests," learning how to balance a check book, and practice writing in cursive with substitutes. They also had "study time." My son brought his AP Calculus book and the sub said he had no clue what to do when he asked for help. It was better to just keep them home and have them go over their regular class materials here and let me middle son study for the SAT.

Hopefully this will all end soon. I'm on PTSA for CVHS and it is sad to see the teachers strike. The teachers want the pay cuts to last as long as the recession/financial mess lasts (they agree to temp cuts, not permanent), but the district doesn't want to commit to that. I personally strongly dislike Ana Bryson, CUSD Board President who got a elected and then strongly voice her dislike of teacher pay/benefits. When I met her, she said she thought teacher's should have a salary cap at $65,000 and said "they aren't worth any more than that." I'm not a big fan of unions, but without one in CUSD, Ana would probably be paying starting teachers $20,000 per year.

CUSD could be the end of south Orange County being "family friendly." I might just join the movement pushing to form a "Mission Viejo Unified".

Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
CUSD could be the end of south Orange County being "family friendly." I might just join the movement pushing to form a "Mission Viejo Unified".
How is Saddleback and Irvine USDs handling their financial situations? Why aren't they striking? Or, why is Capistrano striking and other districts are not? What is unique about Capistrano's situation? Any history there?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How is Saddleback and Irvine USDs handling their financial situations? Why aren't they striking? Or, why is Capistrano striking and other districts are not? What is unique about Capistrano's situation? Any history there?
Capistrano Unified started negotiations with teachers early and came out publicly a while ago that they wanted to cut teacher pay. The CUSD Board is strongly anti-union (and didn't really reveal this until elected.) I am not a big fan of teaching unions (think it should be performance based, should be easier to get fired, etc...) BUT the CUSD Board basically approached the bargaining table with a big bully mentality and arrogance. The teacher union has given into several demands to the school board, but the school board has not agreed to anything with the union.

Saddleback Unified currently has to cut $33 million (just $1 million less than CUSD, but half the size in population). It is negotiations with teachers to have furlough days, reduce the school year, and slightly cut pay/benefits. Also, it will cut custodial staff in half, eliminate adult education (which is big in SVUSD), and enlarge class sizes by laying off 108 certificated teachers and not renewing temp teachers.

Irvine Unified currently needs to cut $22 million. 70 instructors have agreed to take voluntary early retirement. The proposed cuts would raise class sizes in several grades, suspend an elementary school arts program, reduce nursing services through staff attrition, and result in several hundred thousand dollars worth of unspecified cutbacks at the district office and school administration levels. Half of the proposed cuts would likely come from employee's, who could face furlough days, a salary roll-back or a freeze on automatic pay increases tied to longevity and academic degrees.
The latest $1.8 million in reductions would cut the fourth-through sixth-grade art, music, and science programs in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County