Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM

334 posts, read 915,583 times

Advertisements

Santa Monica sounds like a good pick, then. It's urban, feels very much a part of LA, and yet also has its own vibe. You can also get around pretty easily on your skateboard (this is pretty much true of any of the beach towns).

Two caveats that you probably already know: it's pricey and served by two of the most miserable freeways in CA (405 and 10-- it's like pulling teeth getting in and out of Santa Monica sometimes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Just for fun, I'll add a darkhorse candidate: the Belmont Shores and Naples neighborhoods of Long Beach. Good surf is a few miles drive south into Seal Beach and HB, but all the rest of your criteria are met. Long Beach definitely wins out over the others in terms of the diversity and uniqueness of the housing stock. The city is also dense and very urban (for better and worse: oftentimes the distance between upscale and ghetto is the crossing of one street).

Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
Just for fun, I'll add a darkhorse candidate: the Belmont Shores and Naples neighborhoods of Long Beach. Good surf is a few miles drive south into Seal Beach and HB, but all the rest of your criteria are met. Long Beach definitely wins out over the others in terms of the diversity and uniqueness of the housing stock. The city is also dense and very urban (for better and worse: oftentimes the distance between upscale and ghetto is the crossing of one street).
I obviously agree. Though the upscale areas have a little more distance than one street from the ghetto but I get your point. Also, you can surf in seal and that is a short bike ride away. last, we're going to get that breakwater reconfigured and brings waves back within the next few years...at least I hope!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
I obviously agree. Though the upscale areas have a little more distance than one street from the ghetto but I get your point. Also, you can surf in seal and that is a short bike ride away. last, we're going to get that breakwater reconfigured and brings waves back within the next few years...at least I hope!
Yeah, I say Belmont Shore and then proceed to picture Long Beach proper when I make that dramatic statement. You're correct so, to anyone who read my earlier post, please take the one-street-ghetto comment as hyperbole.

As for the breakwater: are they finally going through with that? (off-topic, but I really wanna know).

Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
Yeah, I say Belmont Shore and then proceed to picture Long Beach proper when I make that dramatic statement. You're correct so, to anyone who read my earlier post, please take the one-street-ghetto comment as hyperbole.

As for the breakwater: are they finally going through with that? (off-topic, but I really wanna know).
Long story short, the city paid for a study and in june the army corps of engineers will decide if the city is allowed do it. If they say yes the council will likely vote to do it.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM

24 posts, read 80,412 times
I live in Seal Beach and really enjoy it. It's a small town but yet it's within an hour of LA and 45 minutes to Irvine. Huntington Beach would also be a good choice as it's a real surfer community. I'm a realtor in the area and could help you find a place to either buy or rent. You can check out my website at www.lenstregles.com

Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsurfergirl View Post
Hey there. I'm looking to make a move from Austin to Southern California, and I'm trying to decide where to go. I'm bringing my business with me, so I'm pretty flexible on where I live. I'm looking to spend no more than $2500 on rent (I'd prefer $2000), and I'm not really interested in having a roommate.

Here's what I'm looking for, though I realize I might not be able to do all of these...

CLOSE TO WATER AND A MELLOW SURF BREAK: Right now, I live in a condo on Lake Austin, and I like to get on the water every day if I can (before or after work). I love to kayak, paddleboard, and surf. I don't have to live ON the water (can't afford it), but I'd like to be very close. I'm not a great surfer (yet!), so I'm still looking for mushy waves for a longboard. The two places I've surfed in CA are San Onofre (loved it for an all-day Saturday) and Old Man's Reef at Tourmaline Surf Park on Pacific Beach in San Diego (crowded, but still really fun). So I'd love to be close to a mellow (referring to both the surfers and the waves) surf break. Close enough so that I could get up early and surf before work.

HAS A CITY LIFE: Part of the reason I'm moving to California is that I've lived in Austin since college and graduate school, and while it's an awesome city, it's just starting to feel small. I'm looking for an area with a fun bar scene that has a somewhat sophisticated/cosmopolitan feel.

GOOD SINGLES SCENE FOR 30s PROFESSIONALS: I'm interested in meeting professionals, but I also like diversity. I have surfer friends, professional friends, artist friends, and church friends, and I enjoy meeting all kinds of people.

HOMES WITH CHARACTER: I'd love a place with some character. Not interested in anything that feels suburban, and also not really interested in a condo in a huge complex or a high-rise. I'm fine with living in a tiny 1-bedroom or studio, as long as it has some light and some greenery.

COOL CHURCH NEARBY: I'm also looking for a lively and engaged church community that believes in Jesus and in serving others.

I'm considering anywhere from Santa Barbara to San Diego, and I'd love any input on beach communities in Orange County (or elsewhere in SoCal). Communities I'm looking at include Santa Monica and South Bay in LA, Huntingdon Beach and Newport Beach in OC, and Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Ocean Beach in San Diego.

I appreciate your input!
I really like Redondo Beach. We looked at apts there and I think you could find one bedrooms for less than $2000 although maybe not right on the beach. The little town is really nice.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 21,770 times
Thanks Investor. I appreciate the info on Newport, and thanks for the churches. I stayed in Newport with friends a few years ago, and I liked it. I guess I'm keeping it in the running!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM

10 posts, read 21,770 times
Default So how about outdoor pools for lap swimming?

I really appreciate all the comments, folks. I'm planning to come and stay for at least a week next month to start getting a feel for different places.

So here's another thing to throw in the mix. I'm also an avid swimmer, and I'd love to find a great outdoor pool with a regular lap-swimming crowd. (I don't swim in the ocean without a board--I'm still terrified of sharks.) OK, so you may say a pool is a pool, but we have some amazing spring-fed pools here in Austin, and unfortunately, I'm really spoiled. So are there any "special" pools I should know of? I'm guessing there's nothing spring-fed near the coast, but perhaps a saltwater pool? Or something with open air showers? Or a great view? Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsurfergirl View Post
So are there any "special" pools I should know of? I'm guessing there's nothing spring-fed near the coast, but perhaps a saltwater pool? Or something with open air showers? Or a great view? Any thoughts on this?
SoCal has nothing compared to what you're leaving behind. Few places do. Gotta take the bad with the good in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County