U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM

68 posts, read 172,543 times

Advertisements

Wondering best ways to visit and which are cheaper or more worth the money, any tips on savings or passes etc.

would you take children or just go with sig other?
things to do that are worth the money?
best way to get around on the island vs money?

is it better to stay a night or just visit for day?

thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl711 View Post
Wondering best ways to visit and which are cheaper or more worth the money, any tips on savings or passes etc.

thanks for any input
Glass Bottom Boat - Catalina Island Tours

Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM

7,115 posts, read 19,046,719 times
my advice is to not go. it's expensive to get there and rather boring. unless you have little kids, who don't really care where you take them, you'll probably be bored once you've completed the 10-15 walk around the harbor. i've heard there is good scuba diving there, but that's about it.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
TAKE YOUR KIDS otherwise they'll end up like me having to admit that although I lived in California for over 50 years and have been to New Zealand, for pity's sake, I've never been to Catalina.

It's tremendously sad. And embarrassing.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
Disagree -- I was blown away when we came up to the vista of Catalina Island from the ferry. I thought it looked like Monaco! We later took a tour of the island, and the views at the top were incredible, plus wildlife sightings. The main street of town was cute and the beach is small. I think a day trip would suffice....we stayed a couple days and kind of ran out of things to do.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 PM

69 posts, read 159,533 times
Catalina Island is out of this world. It reminds me of Capri Island
in Italy. Go ahead and visit it, it's not over crowded either. Don't
listen to any of the people who say otherwise.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,728,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl711 View Post

thanks for any input
Take the kids, stay for the day.......there is plenty to do for one day...(especially if it's warm)...and you might like it enough to go back later on...

The ferries going over and back are always loaded with kids.....kids with suitcases, kids with bikes, kids with fishing poles, kids with sack lunches, kids with sleeping bags, kids with cameras and binocs, kids with back packs, kids with towels and swim suits....I see them all the time......

This time of year the ocean isn't warm, however you might see some whales on the way over......

Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM

252 posts, read 635,438 times
Love this. My grand daughter wants to go to Catalina for her special trip, with me.

I went one time and just thought it was sunshiney beautiful, yeh--like European resorts. The tour was s0-0-0
interesting. And I just hung out, perusing the neat shops and menus.

So, another time, I took my husband. First time he ever got sea sick was on that catamaran, over. Then, it was so darned cold. Then, the interesting tour guide that I had previously, had turned into a bar fly who gave little WWII info, hardly knew who Zane Grey was, but waved copiously, at all her bar fly friends as she passed them, spending our valuable time laughing at them.

Go figure. Happens everytime you brag up something.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,143,854 times
I went 2x in my life: When a child & I was old enough to remember going to the Wrigley House, taking a tour & it being a rather large hustling place. But everything seems bigger when you're a kid. Then I decided to go in my early 30s w/ my boyfriend who had never gone, so we took Catalina Express. That's the most boring place we'd ever been to. It reminds me of a dilapidated, old sleepy town. If you just want a change of scenery & a quiet place to read a book, that's the place for you...not that I'm a partier/drinker at all. We did the glass bottom boat tour & aside from a couple of non exciting fish, there was nothing to see. We ate lunch at this seafood restaurant. It took us a couple of hrs to walk around & we departed earlier than we originally planned. The couple shops that there were were overly priced & had nothing unique. Other shops I saw were closed.

You can't pay me to go there again. But below is a discussion baord about it:

Catalina Island Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County