Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,119 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Tustin and after 25+ years I am moving back to be close to family in the Newport Beach area. I am looking to see the possibilty and affordability of returning to the area.

Since I am staring out all over again, personally and financially, price and safety for the kids is predominant. I am going to be going back to school and possibly be working part time, so commute is not a problem for me. I can live wherever I choose and go from there.

Rent - under $2,000 (I know this is the problem !! If I can keep it here, I can go to school full time and not have to work for a while)

4 bedrooms
yard for pet
garage

Good schools - academically challenging but not uber competetive between the parents at the sake of the student. Would prefer an area with a higher percentage of educated parents if possible. I find that the kids tend to desire/expect for themselves that they will be attending University after HS graduation.

conservative

good, friendly neighborhoods - where you can walk or bike to stores / activities. We like being outdoors!

Decent commute to Newport Beach to be able to visit family OFTEN - We can work arround commute times.

Oh yeah - and for the sanity of my HS son - LACROSSE! lol

My kids are 15, 13 and 10. Would like an area where they have peers. We are done with the stroller years and ready to move on to the car/HS (yikes) years with my teens very soon!

Let me hear your ideas - I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks

Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplatetonight View Post

I am going to be going back to school
possibly be working part time,

Rent - under $2,000
4 bedrooms
yard for pet
garage

Good schools

conservative

Decent commute to Newport Beach to be able to visit family OFTEN - We can work arround commute times.

LACROSSE! lol
Where will you be attending school?
If you work part time, do you know where it will or might be?

Can you explain "...commute is not a problem for me. I can live wherever I choose and go from there."?

This may help give an idea of what rents are for homes:

www.housingmaps.com or
www.mapskrieg.com

Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,119 times
I have not decided where I am going to school - possible the majority will be online. But the location is flexible.And I will be starting my own business or working for whomever is hiring a housewife - lol The work is not as imperative for the time being.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I will be starting my own business or working for whomever is hiring a housewife - lol
Have you applied to Dr. Right yet?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
I have not decided where I am going to school - possible the majority will be online. But the location is flexible.And I will be starting my own business or working for whomever is hiring a housewife - lol The work is not as imperative for the time being.
Is it possible to go online to find out which California High Schools offer lacrosse and start your search from there?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Is lacrosse even played around here? I had to look it up I'm so unfamiliar with the game. The first and only thing I ever heard about it was the Duke lacrosse team scandal. I thought it was a form of tennis.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Lacrosse is played at many high schools and there are clubs for middle school kids too. Great sport. Could help get into colleges too.

Here for example, is the Irvine High School Lacrosse schedule. On it are several other schools which (obviously) have teams:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...e/schedule.htm

Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Apparently my alma mater (San Clemente) offers it now. Of course, how would I know, as I haven't set foot on that campus since 1973.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
For 2000 or less a month for a 4bed+ house you're going to have to get creative. You're not going to find it in areas that everyone already considers good, but maybe in areas that are good parts of mediocre cities. Maybe somewhere like western Garden Grove(I'm sure Pacifica HS offers lacrosse), perhaps a duplex home in Aliso Viejo, etc. Outside of OC, you could probably find something like that in Lakewood as well(just avoid Paramount School District areas and be careful in choosing a house in 90715), which participates with other high schools in the district with a combined lacrosse team that competes against local high schools that have their own teams.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I do not think that you are going to find what you are looking for anywhere in Orange County. You might try Riverside. You have a slim chance of finding something like that in Santa Ana, Orange, Garden Grove or Westminister, but you have to be careful where you go. All of them have parts of town and schools where you do not want to be. Even in those places, I would be surprised if you find something. I saw a house for rent in Orange on Sunday, it was $2,200. It is 3 br, virtually no yard, virtually next door to a train track and at the intersection of two busy streets. Orange schools are decent. They can get a good educaiton there, but you have to keep a close eye on them.

In Santa Ana the only good high school is OCHSA and it is only for students talented in the arts. It is not free either. Each student must pay a materials fee of about $3000.

Huntington beach and Fountain valley (or near there) have some trailer parks. Maybe you can rent a mobile home in your price range.

Good luck. It is difficult to be away from your family. What about getting them to move to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County