Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:30 PM

31 posts, read 140,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Monella View Post
Irvine CA has a city government that is notorious for being extremely anal about everything. Like most other "police states" -which it it seems to be modeled upon- it has very little crime and that in turn frees its police force to engage in 'selective enforcement'.

Selective enforcement means they have the time & the will to issue citations for the pettiest and most banal types of bull****. For example, typical city laws include a ban on working on your car while parked on the street, lawn-watering restrictions and noise abatement laws. They actually have laws that require you to have a 'bicycle license (i.e. your bicycle must be registered with the city) and yet they only ticket Mexicans for not having them. I know because I work in court and the citations & cases that come from Irvine are
a study in government-sanctioned racism.

They're extremely anti-immigrant and most of the population consists of blond, blue-eyed anglo dunces of the type depicted in "The OC". In fact the last time I remember seeing so many blond racist crackers all in one place was in a History Channel documentary depicting a Hitler Jugend rally.

If you'd like to experience what life was like in Alabama during the 60's or would like a crack at becoming Imperial Wizard some day ..then Irvine is for you.
Oh dear...Surely not quite like that. I am European and we are used to diversity and I certainlly would not condone any kind of discrimination. However, everyone I spoke to so far from OC was very nice and helpful. I really don't mind what kind of race/religion people are from, as long as the area is relativelly safe and respectful. But with that often come lack of interaction with "the next door" and one could die without anyone knocking one your door.

I do understand your comment though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 05:35 PM

62 posts, read 290,667 times
"You're on crack. Irvine is about 50/50 white and Chinese now."

See what I mean?. They don't even count the Mexican population!.

Case closed.

Next!.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Monella View Post
"You're on crack. Irvine is about 50/50 white and Chinese now."

See what I mean?. They don't even count the Mexican population!.

Case closed.

Next!.
oh dear....Lets not turn this into political forum...I, as it happens have a lot of Mexican friends who are studying medicine in Spain and I guess, it all depends of people themselves. Good and bad everywhere. But for us who are ne to CA all constructive, objective input is great.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,830,741 times
I just want to add I grew up in Irvine, went to high school and college there. It is very diverse. There's a large percentage of Persian, Japanese, Chinese, Hispanic, Vietnamese people there. Admittedly there are not a lot of African Americans (at least when I lived there), but it's certainly not all white people.

However, like most of CA, you won't have a lot of interaction with your neighbors. I lived in one apartment for a year, and never met or interacted with any of my neighbors. We lived in a townhome when I was in high school, and while we knew our neighbors, we didn't really interact with them. Californians just don't seem friendly like that. I experienced the same thing in Northern CA and San Diego, as well.

V. =)

Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,405,895 times
If you want to meet your neighbors, it helps to live on a quiet court instead of a busy street. I guess that's why homes on culdesacs sell for more?

I meet most of my neighbors when I'm out doing yard work... or you could always get a friendly dog to walk...

Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Or a friendly (and very "know it all" )first grader in my case

Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 PM

27 posts, read 85,541 times
I'd be surprised if it's 50% white. That's possibly an over-estimation. I have found Irvine to be quite safe, we've been here for 6 years. If you look on the Megan's law website you'll find there are not many listed in this area....enough, but low by comparison.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,692 times
Default Are you still looking in Irvine? I might have a solution.

Hi singlemom!
If you are still looking, I might have a solution for you. Please e-mail me: investorjudy@gmail.com.
Sincerely,
Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemom View Post
Thank you all. I am waiting for some solutions from 2 of the apartment companies. Just for those who may find themselves in the same situaion, I contacted many places over this weekend and I got very excited about one gated community in Newport beach, looks nice etc...But when they told me that they don't require any proof of income, nor the credic check I was concerned and checked apartment ratings and was in shock to find that they had drug dealers on the complex, two sex offenders actually livig on the complex and many breakins. I didn't expect this from a gated community and so just wanted to warn those who are in the same boat.

Yes my main problem is that I am returning to study (so not a youngster) after having completed PhD and working for 17 years but want to change direction. In addition, I have been in the US for less than 2 years, I am European. So normal 2.7 the monthly rent for those large companies like Irvine company, doesn't apply. They wanted me to transfer $100000 to US account. I offered to pay year in advance but they couldn't do this.

Yesterday I looked at Ladera ranch and the company that operates there may be able to do it if my bank in the US shows how much deposits in total I placed in the last 2 years.

Is Ladera ranch safe community? Again, my concern is that I have a small child and so have to be more careful.

By the way, it is logical that if a company doesn't want anything in a way of proof of income or they don't do a credit check they will get all sort of people.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:04 AM

253 posts, read 372,712 times
Just rent from a private owner. That's what we do, and they're very flexible, especially now that the housing market in CA is crashing. ]Screw the corporate apartment complexes.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:51 PM

38,632 posts, read 22,624,519 times
Smile Having a dog helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If you want to meet your neighbors, it helps to live on a quiet court instead of a busy street. I guess that's why homes on culdesacs sell for more?

I meet most of my neighbors when I'm out doing yard work... or you could always get a friendly dog to walk...
That was my experience once upon a time when I used to have a dog. When taking the dog out for a walk, perfect strangers would come up to me and ask me about the dog. I did get to know my neighbors this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County