Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Costa Mesa is quite different from Irvine. Irvine is master planned and HOA'ed up the butt. Costa Mesa appears to have no effective zoning at all.

Irvine is very upper middle class, mostly Asian and white. Lots of doctors and other well paid professionals.

Costa Mesa has more middle to lower middle class with lots of Mexicans living 10 to a house and whites that looks like they've had a hard life.

The schools in Irvine are first rate and academic competition can be fierce due to Asians that will pay for tutors to make sure their kid gets the best score on everything. Costa Mesa schools are mediocre at best.

For your price range, you should be able to find something in Fountain Valley. Fountain Valley is older than Irvine and master planned, but not to the neurotic degree that Irvine is. The schools are definitely better than Costa Mesa's but not as competitive as Irvine's. Just make sure you're in Fountain Valley School District's coverage area which means avoiding the far northern and far eastern strips of the city. Basically stay south of Heil and west of Euclid. Fountain Valley's slogan is "A Nice Place to Live" and its true. There's not a whole lot of entertainment there for ADD people, but its close to a million things.
You must be crazy. Fountain Valley is not nicer than Costa Mesa. It use to be about 5 years but once Huntington Beach PD started cracking down on the gangs, many of them moved into Fountain Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Something tells me (I could be wrong) that the bowling alley raid you saw was just a drill. The only bowling place that I know of in that part of CM has been closed for at least 15 years. Of course if you saw something in the news the next day, then I stand corrected.
Odds are it wasn't. I live in Costa Mesa currently and one weekend afternoon I walked out of the Target on Harbor Blvd and was greeted by police with (semi?) automatic weapons drawn. They had GANG UNIT on their backs and appeared to be surrounding the exits waiting for one of the local homeboys to finish buying his oversized white T-shirts. This was within the last year.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
You must be crazy. Fountain Valley is not nicer than Costa Mesa. It use to be about 5 years but once Huntington Beach PD started cracking down on the gangs, many of them moved into Fountain Valley.
I've lived in both. I know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
I've lived in both. I know what I'm talking about.
When? Fountain Valley has changed alot over the past few years. There a few new cities in SoCal that have been greatly affected by gangs. Cities where you wouldn't really expect it too. Monrovia is another example, massive gang issues now.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
When? Fountain Valley has changed alot over the past few years. There a few new cities in SoCal that have been greatly affected by gangs. Cities where you wouldn't really expect it too. Monrovia is another example, massive gang issues now.
I lived there as recently as two years ago and still frequent the area often. Fountain Valley is mostly owner occupied single family homes (including lots of older people who've owned forever) with few apartments. Costa Mesa is something like 70% renters. With the exception of a few nicer pockets like Mesa Verde, Costa Mesa is generally younger, poorer, more crowded, and more transient. All of those lead to more problems. The only part of Fountain Valley I'd call even a little sketchy is the strip along Harbor Blvd which may as well be Santa Ana. Costa Mesa is dotted with sketchy areas all over the place.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I lived in Irvine for a couple of years, and liked it for a family. Schools are great. Also liked Aliso Viejo, Foothill Ranch, etc. Costa Mesa is a little hit and miss. Some areas are nice, some are scary.
If you are not stuck on that area though give Northern San Diego area a look too (Carlsbad, Encinitas, Poway, etc).
What areas of Aliso Viejo are scary?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I took it to mean:

"Costa Mesa is a little hit and miss. Some areas are nice, some are scary"

That makes more sense than calling anything in Aliso Viejo scary.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
I took it to mean:

"Costa Mesa is a little hit and miss. Some areas are nice, some are scary"

That makes more sense than calling anything in Aliso Viejo scary.
Definitely makes more sense.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
ALll of it to me. But then I find mass conformity terrifying. Most people seem to like it.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
I lived in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa for 41 of my 44 years. To listen to you people speak of Costa Mesa, and Fountain Valley, you make these places sound like gang land battle grounds where drug raids on bowling alleys is some kind of daily occurrence. I wonder if I even lived in the same place as you all are describing.

To the original poster, I raised 6 children in Costa Mesa schools before moving to Houston a few years ago.
Not a one of them is gang banger and they can all read, write and even do algebra. None of my children has ever come home in a squad car or a body bag for that matter.
I left my car unlocked in the driveway, my back door rarely locked, and no one ever did a single thing to me.
Costa Mesa is a great place to live and its proximity to the beach but slightly lower housing costs are a pretty good compromise.
Go have a look for yourself and make up your own mind about it.
Costa Mesa scary?? I am speechless. Costa Mesa has to be about the boringest city I have ever lived in. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County