Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 AM

44 posts, read 36,231 times

Advertisements

Okay, my next door neighbor has a POS dog that barks for hours on end, sometimes literally all night. 6 months, several neighbors, a call to animal control, and MANY complaints later my manager issues a 3-day notice for disturbance.

Somehow they stayed for over a month. I asked what the deal was and they said they couldn't force them to leave despite being under eviction. "We tried a 3-day notice and it didn't work." I thought eviction was a notice to leave or go to court.

It's been 3 months total since the notice was issued and they seem to have gotten rid of the dog. Now, however, they're playing movies loud enough that I can hear it through my wall. I call security and they ignore the door. I guess they want to argue that they were never told about the disturbance. "They didn't make contact." Anyway, when this happens I have to move from my bedroom to the living room so I can sleep. Often I can still hear it.

I am not the only person who has been complaining. There's at least a dozen other tenants (not joking) who want them removed. These are the type of people who think no one else lives in the complex. They have no sense of consideration or decency whatsoever.

Is there anything that can be done to get rid of these people? I and others have called security, animal control, police, managers, and anyone else we could think of. How are they still living here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,332,049 times
From Orange County ?
Maybe to Los Angeles, Riverside, or even worse, San Bernardino counties ?
I'm sure the elites would love to have a law like that !

What does your landlord say ?

Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM

97 posts, read 161,986 times
I don't believe this is an issue strictly with Orange County as it's more of a state issue. I know people in Northern CA as well as in the Temecula area who had crappy renters who didn't pay rents for months and they couldn't evict the tenets. Being a landlord is hard if you don't have good tenets because they can literally squat in your property for months without paying you a penny and nothing you can do about it until the whole process plays out. Even once you get them out after months of going to court, there's no guarantee that you can recover the lost rent.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 PM

823 posts, read 1,774,118 times
My landlord had to evict some tenants. It does take time, meanwhile, the deadbeats might not even pay rent. I think it all depends on the landlord. It takes months after the eviction notice is served, but if the landlord pursues it, the tenants will eventually be forced to leave. It sounds like your landlord/management company is not serious about getting rid of them.

What a nightmare. Imagine buying a house or condo with neighbors like that who you can't evict!

Old 08-15-2015, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,829 times
3 day notices are a pay or quit type of notice. It must be the beginning of a eviction for lease violation, but if the tenant is payed up current it might cost the landlord big money to evict and take 30+ days to finally get the sheriff to lock them out. Sounds like a dog issue get animal control out there every time it happens.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:16 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,544,719 times
This has been among the worst states in the country for RE investing for those same reasons; evictions are very expensive and time-consuming as opposed to other states where the entire process from start to finish lasts 15-30 days max.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:58 PM

44 posts, read 36,231 times
Just an update --they're finally gone. 8 months total and at least 3 months of eviction. Amazing how hard it is to do when there's such a HUGE amount of evidence against a particular tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County