Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 AM

15 posts, read 47,697 times

Advertisements

I am moving from out of state for a new job in Santa Ana, very close to John Wayne airport. I was thinking of Ladera Ranch for a home, does anyone know of an estimated commute to and from for a 9-5 type job? Are there toll roads to take? Obviously, I know very little about the area as I am from out of state. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Ladera to SNA would be a moderate commute. Probably 5 to 405, exit Jamboree or MacArthur. That's around 12-15 miles I think. Traffic in the morning though so it might be a little rough, maybe 30-40 minutes during peak.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
You could take the 73 depending on where in Ladera Ranch you live and where in Santa Ana you work. It's a toll road.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM

214 posts, read 650,361 times
You might have the most traffic getting on and off Crown Valley Parkway from the 5 Freeway, it's a huge bottleneck. Have you considered other areas like Irvine, Aliso Viejo, or even Laguna Niguel? Living in any of those areas will cut your commute by 30-80%.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 PM

I have a family and thought the community amenities of Ladera Ranch would be desirable (pool, parks, schools, etc). Any suggestions for places to look in Irvine, Aliso Viejo or Laguna Nigel.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brejohns View Post
I have a family and thought the community amenities of Ladera Ranch would be desirable (pool, parks, schools, etc). Any suggestions for places to look in Irvine, Aliso Viejo or Laguna Nigel.
Irvine has all of the amenities that Ladera as does Aliso Viejo. With Aliso Viejo you want to stay around the 73 Freeway, that's where most of the amenities are located. Irvine has many areas like Quail Hill, Oak Creek, Woodbury, Woodbridge, Westpark, and Turtle Rock to name a few. Home and rental prices will be the most expensive in Irvine. That being said, cutting down on your commute will leave you more time for your family. Are you guys looking for a home, condo, or apartment to rent?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 AM

We are looking for a home. $850k is our budget.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,955 times
I live in Ladera Ranch and Commute to Irvine.

First... Ladera Ranch is a wonderful, family oriented community. There are a lot of parks and other amenities specifically for families.

There is a lot of inventory in Ladera Ranch... your budget could afford you a single family home - easily. You definitely get more bang for your buck than you would around Irvine or Aliso Viejo.

However... this is my honest opinion to you.... Even though you can get a deal on a house in Ladera Ranch, and the community is terrific... the high HOA is a negative. Of course if you're looking for a newer home (in the last 10 yrs) in Irvine, the HOA in Ladera is less. HOA for me is around $360 a month. You could use that $360 and put it towards a bigger home somewhere in Mission Viejo that has no HOA...but the homes are much older.

Commuting...

In the mornings, if I leave before 7AM... I can take the 5 & 405 Freeways to Irvine and it takes about 20-25 minutes. If I leave around 7:30AM... the time doubles. It would take me 15 minutes just to get from Ladera Ranch down to the 5 freeway. However, if you leave after 8:30AM... traffic lessens but you're still looking at a 30+ minute commute.

I also take the toll road (73). Usually no traffic at all..unless there is an accident. Again, depending what time you leave, most of the traffic you may encounter will be on Crown Valley but once you get on the 73, it takes 10-15 minutes to get to John Wayne Airport. You just have to be careful with CHP. For peak toll times, the cost is $4.75 each way if you have a toll transponder. Otherwise it is $5.50 if you have to pay cash.

Now commuting back to Ladera Ranch.... taking the 405 to the 5 to either Crown Valley or Avery can take 20-25 minutes if you leave before 4PM or after 6:30PM on most days. However... you should expect a 40-60 minute commute. If you take the toll roads back, it will take you 15-20 minutes to get from Irvine to Greenfield...but it would then take you 15-20minutes to go up Crown Valley to Ladera Ranch.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brejohns View Post
We are looking for a home. $850k is our budget.
Since you guys are moving from out of town, I would HIGHLY recommend that you guys rent for a year to really make sure that you like the neighborhood you pick. The worst thing is to settle and buy into a neighborhood that you are not familiar with as real estate transaction costs are high for selling a home. Call it a cheap insurance. If you guys like the neighborhood then you can buy a home there, but if you don't then you can look elsewhere while waiting for your lease to expire.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexster05 View Post
I live in Ladera Ranch and Commute to Irvine.

First... Ladera Ranch is a wonderful, family oriented community. There are a lot of parks and other amenities specifically for families.

There is a lot of inventory in Ladera Ranch... your budget could afford you a single family home - easily. You definitely get more bang for your buck than you would around Irvine or Aliso Viejo.

However... this is my honest opinion to you.... Even though you can get a deal on a house in Ladera Ranch, and the community is terrific... the high HOA is a negative. Of course if you're looking for a newer home (in the last 10 yrs) in Irvine, the HOA in Ladera is less. HOA for me is around $360 a month. You could use that $360 and put it towards a bigger home somewhere in Mission Viejo that has no HOA...but the homes are much older.

Commuting...

In the mornings, if I leave before 7AM... I can take the 5 & 405 Freeways to Irvine and it takes about 20-25 minutes. If I leave around 7:30AM... the time doubles. It would take me 15 minutes just to get from Ladera Ranch down to the 5 freeway. However, if you leave after 8:30AM... traffic lessens but you're still looking at a 30+ minute commute.

I also take the toll road (73). Usually no traffic at all..unless there is an accident. Again, depending what time you leave, most of the traffic you may encounter will be on Crown Valley but once you get on the 73, it takes 10-15 minutes to get to John Wayne Airport. You just have to be careful with CHP. For peak toll times, the cost is $4.75 each way if you have a toll transponder. Otherwise it is $5.50 if you have to pay cash.

Now commuting back to Ladera Ranch.... taking the 405 to the 5 to either Crown Valley or Avery can take 20-25 minutes if you leave before 4PM or after 6:30PM on most days. However... you should expect a 40-60 minute commute. If you take the toll roads back, it will take you 15-20 minutes to get from Irvine to Greenfield...but it would then take you 15-20minutes to go up Crown Valley to Ladera Ranch.

Hope this helps.
Great summary. The area is very nice, family friendly, and has a lot of amenities plus a home can be picked up around $250/sf. The big negatives are the commute, the high Mello Roos & HOA, the 0.25% community enrichment fee you pay to buy and sell a home there, and many homes are around the power lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County