Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 PM

55 posts, read 161,887 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know any place in OR that would offer research jobs of those concentrations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope View Post
Does anyone know any place in OR that would offer research jobs of those concentrations?
The universities - especially Oregon Health Science University (OHSU), the Portland medical school. There is also a small amount of biotech in Oregon, but I'm not really familiar with the field.

Here a slightly helpful link:

Bio-Link.org Website -- Oregon Biotechnology in Education & Industry (http://www.bio-link.org/centersOR.htm - broken link)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The universities - especially Oregon Health Science University (OHSU), the Portland medical school. There is also a small amount of biotech in Oregon, but I'm not really familiar with the field.

Here a slightly helpful link:

Bio-Link.org Website -- Oregon Biotechnology in Education & Industry (http://www.bio-link.org/centersOR.htm - broken link)
Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 AM

504 posts, read 2,174,933 times
Default hmmm

I used to work in a medical lab. I know Portland has OHSU, as well as the State Health Dept lab. That's where we'd send stuff for confirmation. Also there is a really big reference lab in Eugene or Salem. I forget where. It's either LabCorps, or Quest diagnostics.

Most people I know of, though, had to go up to Seattle to do any true research, although I know there was SOME at OHSU many years ago when I went to school there. I'd guess that Corvallis or Eugene may have some too at the Universities.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope View Post
OHSU is now the Oregon Health and Sciences University, since it merged with the Oregon Graduate Institute (OGI). They have been steadily expanding their research facilities, which fill with researchers as soon as they are built. Most of the researchers come with their own funding and hire their own staff, so you work for the researchers, though the university may be writing the paycheck. Being on the staff of OHSU gives you free tuition and fees at both OHSU and Portland State, so it would be an excellent opportunity to finish your doctorate. If you already have the PhD, take a post-doc class in grant writing.

You need to visit and schmooze to find out what is available. Many jobs are never advertised. Researchers often give preference to their own students, but not always.

There may also be teaching opportunities at various state universities. For once, the legislature increased the funding for higher education, so they will be hiring this summer.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,028,732 times
Sound like your broad description would include research for Fish & Wildlife, too.

Would that work?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
OHSU is now the Oregon Health and Sciences University, since it merged with the Oregon Graduate Institute (OGI). They have been steadily expanding their research facilities, which fill with researchers as soon as they are built. Most of the researchers come with their own funding and hire their own staff, so you work for the researchers, though the university may be writing the paycheck. Being on the staff of OHSU gives you free tuition and fees at both OHSU and Portland State, so it would be an excellent opportunity to finish your doctorate. If you already have the PhD, take a post-doc class in grant writing.

You need to visit and schmooze to find out what is available. Many jobs are never advertised. Researchers often give preference to their own students, but not always.

There may also be teaching opportunities at various state universities. For once, the legislature increased the funding for higher education, so they will be hiring this summer.
Thanks for the info. This is actually an inquiry I'm making regarding my significant other's career (I'm halfway finished with pharmacy school and we'll be moving out that way after I graduate). We're visiting for New Year's, so I'll be sure to pass this info along.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,028,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

I was wondering what changed with OGI. One of my customers from Beaverton was teaching computer related subjects there, and one of my parents friends retired from maintaining their facility for decades. Sounds like a good merge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon