U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,249 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Ive been browsing this site for awhile now today, this is after weeks and weeks of non result producing craigslist searches. My family and I have been renting in suburban NW Portland for the last 10 years and we need a change so many many reasons! We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom rental or rent to own (we cannot buy at this time) on 2ish acres with a large garage and or shop (my husband and I both have small businesses), garden space and space for a few goats or sheep and some chickens.
I have been focusing within 2 hours of where we are, as that is the "safe" area I am comfortable with. City girl going for rural living is a bit intimidating
I am having no luck with craigslist and have poked around a few newspapers with no luck as well either. I am looking for suggestions on contacts or resources that could provide more options for us. Not everyone posts on craigslist...I am sure of it!
The areas of search have been Columbia County, some Oregon coast and pretty much everything from Wilsonville on South (including Salem, Albany, Corvalis and Philomath) to Eugene staying West of I-5 except for Silverton, Mt Angel area.

If anyone can point me in the area of some good rental companies or rural rental resource I would greatly appreciate it! As of today we have 44 days to be out of our current home!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM

965 posts, read 1,639,914 times
In my corner of the state, perhaps a third of available rental properties are listed on Craigslist. People in rural areas often do things in a more old-fashioned way. Look in newspaper classifieds and, if you find an area you really want to target, drive out there and ask around. Look for 3 x 5 cards on the bulletin board at the local grocery store. A lot of people are nervous about renting to complete strangers. You might need the local grapevine to help you out. There may also be people who are advertising their homes for sale who would be willing to rent if the terms are right. Again, you'll have to get away from the computer and pound some pavement to break through the local knowledge barrier.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 PM

758 posts, read 1,384,293 times
One thing worth looking at is bulletin boards at country stores (like Petrich's in Scholls). It does take looking, because housing prices used to be such that people would just buy a place.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

10,995 posts, read 18,889,531 times
Rural folks don't tend to be the most internet oriented folks. That's often why they want rural property...to be away from urbanization and all that it entails. You need to look in local newspapers and I agree that local places with bulletin boards are a good place to look as well.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,249 times
We've spent countless hours driving the areas we're looking at, picking up local papers, but we haven't checked bulletin boards yet! We are getting down to the wire and I'm stressing about it! We can't use a rental agency either as we get paid weekly, we need to pay rent weekly, agencies don't work like that!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

54 posts, read 276,990 times
Default Suggestion

I would go to a feed store and not only look on the bulletin boards but talk to the clerks. From what I have experienced the locals need to know you and start a rumor. "Hey, I met this couple down at the Coast to Coast who were looking to rent a place". Really, that is how it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon