Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 11,516 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forums and while I've seen some mention of Dallas in comparison to other towns, I'd like to see what you think of Dallas overall.

Next month, we are relocating from southern California to Dallas, OR. I accepted a job offer in Monmouth and had all of 24 hours to tour the region before tentatively deciding on Dallas.

What do I need to know about Dallas? What's good about it? What could be improved? I will be relocating with my husband and our 3 year old son and we have never lived outside of Southern California.

I'm feeling a bit nervous and need some reassurance here. My future co-workers suggested that I also consider Independence and I also liked the Edwards Addition development in Monmouth, but overall the amenities and environment in Dallas was appealing.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Independence is primarily Latino, with over half being illegal migrants, but when I lived there (Still have a house) for four years while I attended Chemekata I really liked it. Monmouth is mostly the college and a very large meth addicted population. Did I mention the meth population was very, very large?

Here is what I know about Dallas.
The R.O.A.D.S Club was founded and resides there. (Radio Operators Association of Dallas).
My Wife’s Great Grandfather on Grandfather’s side was one of the founders and an area park is named after him (Guthrie Schoolhouse).
David Guthrie was also among the first Applegate Trail Pioneers and it is his fiancé (Martha Crowley) who is buried in the grave at Graves Creek.
My Wife's Great Grandmother on Grandmother’s side is well known in the Rickreal area (Embry) and the Embry Cemetery is just East of Dallas between Rickreal and Dallas.
My Wife's Great Grandfather on Grandmother’s side was the first Doctor in Dallas.
Beyond that, there are services in Dallas, and Salem is only ten to fifteen minutes away.
Let me say this. Dallas and the surrounding area are not California and you should not expect to find any of the things you consider either good or bad about California anywhere in the region. Well other than Gangs and Meth.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Gangs? Meth? Illegals? Wow! It's just like home! I might as well not move at all.

Thank you for your comments- you helped to reinforce my perception of Monmouth and Independence. We looked in some newer neighborhoods in those areas and there didn't seem to be a lot of pride in the community- dead lawns, trash on the streets, etc. In comparison, Dallas seemed a bit nicer.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Dallas has a pretty cool aquatic center for such a small town. Your 3 year old and you guys will have a good time there.

I have no idea what the illegal hispanic population is in Independence so I won't comment on that. Dallas has spent quite a bit of time over the past few years really working hard at revitalizing the city. I don't know where you are coming from but just remember that you are moving to an agriculturally based community. It is a small town so if you are looking for anything fast paced, you will be disappointed. Oregon moves at the speed of molasses most of the time. It takes a while to learn to slow down to "Oregon Speed" but once you do, you wonder why everyone else is rushing around all the time.

There are plenty of family things to do in Salem so if you don't find what you need in Dallas, Salem is just 20 minutes away.

So, welcome!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Sorry, but that is just what it is. We plan to move back there when my Wife retires in November of 2011. I don't do drugs and I don't tolerate them around me either. The gangs don't bother me. They are mostly Wannabes and besides I am a long time member of a rather large Motorcycle club and the Wannabes tend to walk around me and mine after a little head to head back in 2004.

Oh yes, the club is Clean & Sober MC out of Eugene.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sorry, but that is just what it is. We plan to move back there when my Wife retires in November of 2011. I don't do drugs and I don't tolerate them around me either. The gangs don't bother me. They are mostly Wannabes and besides I am a long time member of a rather large Motorcycle club and the Wannabes tend to walk around me and mine after a little head to head back in 2004.

Oh yes, the club is Clean & Sober MC out of Eugene.
I don't disagree that Independence has a large Hispanic population, just not sure where you are getting the statistic that half of them are illegal. Got a source for that, or is that just opinion?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Yes, but I do not wish to divulge it. Try the Gang officer in the Independence PD Officer Banualos. He can point you to the information on legal verses illegal Latino population in Independence. Also remember Salem has a huge illegal population too, but it is primarily illegal Ukrainians, or at least a substantial number anyway.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM

I think I should mention that I have no issue with people who are here illegally. It wouldn't influence where I choose to live. I'm looking at Dallas over Monmouth/Independence becuase I like the overall environment a bit more.

Anyway, back to Dallas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't know where you are coming from but just remember that you are moving to an agriculturally based community. It is a small town so if you are looking for anything fast paced, you will be disappointed. Oregon moves at the speed of molasses most of the time. It takes a while to learn to slow down to "Oregon Speed" but once you do, you wonder why everyone else is rushing around all the time.
I live in the most rural part of southern California possible- the San Jacinto mountains which are an hour from anything. We're used to slow up here, like super slow. With its fast-food chains and multiple gas stations, I think Dallas would almost have a "big city" feel!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junco View Post

I live in the most rural part of southern California possible- the San Jacinto mountains which are an hour from anything. We're used to slow up here, like super slow. With its fast-food chains and multiple gas stations, I think Dallas would almost have a "big city" feel!

Ah..then you'll be just fine.

If you are an hour from anything, it'll feel like a metropolis to you.

Some fun family friendly things to do in the area are
1) Silverfalls State Park has a great water play area and nice biking and hiking trails.
2) North Fork Park has probably the best swimming hole
3) The Riverfront Carousel in Salem is amazing
4) The AC Gilbert House in Salem is great for rainy winter days
5) There are some Tot Parks in Dallas, or you can come into Salem to the NW Kids Club for indoor play
6) Dallas Aquatic center
7) Kroc center in Salem

Those are my top choices, but this is a fairly family centric area. No nightlife to speak of, but lots of family stuff.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junco View Post
I've searched the forums and while I've seen some mention of Dallas in comparison to other towns, I'd like to see what you think of Dallas overall.

Next month, we are relocating from southern California to Dallas, OR. I accepted a job offer in Monmouth and had all of 24 hours to tour the region before tentatively deciding on Dallas.

What do I need to know about Dallas? What's good about it? What could be improved? I will be relocating with my husband and our 3 year old son and we have never lived outside of Southern California.

I'm feeling a bit nervous and need some reassurance here. My future co-workers suggested that I also consider Independence and I also liked the Edwards Addition development in Monmouth, but overall the amenities and environment in Dallas was appealing.

Thank you!

Howdy Junco...

You might like to look at www.oregonfishingforum.com

Raincatcher is a moderator there, who lives in Dallas. She is a very nice friendly, honest lady. You could ask her how she likes living there in Dallas.

You can send her a private message(you might have to join(free) to do so). I'm not sure.

Best of Luck to You on your decision of new Home. Welcome.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon