Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHills View Post
Glendale, eh? Will indeed check that out, brother vet. Thanks again. You too, hamellr. Cottage Grove does look like a fine little community, for sure. Have looked into it a few times already, though, as previously expressed, am hoping to avoid I-5.

Here is what I rather serendipitously came across today: Breitenbush Hot Springs Retreat and Conference Center. Had never heard of it before but it seems like quite the place. Anyone able to expand on it, from their experience? Am realizing it is not a "regular" village, though there is something(s) highly attractive about this wee, self-sufficient community. Thank you again.

Bro, i've read where some of the guys/gals on www.oregonfishingforum.com have fished/camped around the B area.

Check it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Reedsport, Myrtle Point and Coquille all seem like decent prospects for you on the upper end of your preferred population range.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 AM

318 posts, read 516,268 times
Am wanting to warmly say Thank You to all of the members here who've spent some of their time & made the efforts to help me in this relocation process. In less than 24 hours I am casting off from here & heading your way. The many communities you all have suggested have each & every one been researched & my list of towns & villages to visit are some highly interesting places to investigate in person thanks to your help in navigation.

Thanks also to City-Data.com for this well-done wealth of information place where we can all share our thoughts & even our dreams.
Most dreams seem to perish before we do. Make it happen. :-)

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Smile ~ Took 9 months...~

Am wanting to report back on my final decision & impending move to the central coast...

After visiting so many places here, even living out in the Oregon Outback for about 2 1/2 months & spending time in many other communities in many places in this magical state, have had my sights firmly set upon Florence for many months now. Just this last week an opportunity for affordable housing has presented itself after my being on the waiting list since the beginning of last October. With all going well, my residency in Florence should begin on July 1. Am looking forward to spending the 2nd half of my life there. :-)

The weather agrees with me totally, from the warmer winters with occasional, incredible storms lasting days at times to the cooler summers. The surrounding area abounds with wildlife & is full of outdoors activities galore... & for many years I'd much rather walk in cool rain than in hot sunshine (am walking 4 to 5 miles/day average & have for years now, even through this especially rainy Portland winter & spring);
very friendly people in the community; the wonderful nearby state parks like Joaquin Miller, J.M. Honeyman, Carl Washburne, Devil's Elbow with so many more county & national recreation areas; plenty of elk, bears, eagles, cougars, massive sand dunes, whales, otters, sea lions, incredible wilderness & scenic wonders... as well as some of the best camping & hiking I've ever been blessed with. Lots of gray & rainy days (am really liking this, actually) with almost no mosquitoes (though, admittedly, the no-see-ums are bad a time or two a year); clean air & water, so very much more.

There is no doubt that my patience & long-time careful researching is finally paying of. Again, am sincerely thanking all of the members here who have offered their assistance in helping me find where would be best to live. The help is good & most beneficial. Hopefully I may repay your many suggestions & help in kind as inquiries to the central coast occur. You are all appreciated.

David

Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 AM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
SandHills, I am SO happy for you! Thank you for sharing your great news. I truly believe that you will be very happy with your move. There is just so much to enjoy living near the coast. I have also found that the best things in life are free, and we can enjoy Oregon's stunning beauty, and her coastline, without cost. May you have a very happy life. I am sure that you know how blessed you are to have the opportunity to live in such beauty.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Thank you, oregonbeachlover. Most kind of you. Am a blessed man for what I was seeking. Since the mid-80's my distaste for hot summers has steadily grown, which is rather odd considering some of the really summer-furious places I've subsequently lived since then like Powell, Wyoming & the Nebraska panhandle. Initially, all the tales told of the winter winds & storms had put me off a bit about the central Oregon coast, as somehow my initial impression was that this was more or less steadily the way it was all season, which is not true at all. Plenty of much calmer days of rainy winter weather & that is just fine with me. Those intense storms lasting days are a personally desirable thing, loving the power of them, just so long as they pass for a while until the next one.

My apartment is spacious & has the coolest little roofed, outdoors balcony facing towards a generous wooded swath of property that is owned by the city of Florence, butted right up to the place too. It won't be cut down either, all of it being protected for posterity. This coming winter will be the first one I've spent in essentially a snow-free zone, though it can snow occasionally from what I've read here & there... such as the several inches that happened just before Thanksgiving last year (people are still talking about it, a soft snowfall of several inches that was absolutely gorgeous). A handful of snow spatterings at most per season on average, rarely lasting for very long. The average age of Florence's population is about my own age as well. Even with 65 to 70% sunshine months in July & August the daily high averages a rather mild 70 or so, just perfect for me.

Could sit here & gush on & on about the community, area & all, but suffice it to say that I am one happy boy. Wow, the sun is peeking out... gorgeous!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 691 times
Dear Sand Hill.. My name is Joe I'm a female about in your same position financially I live in Vegas and am very tired of the desert heat and heard how beautiful Oregon was my only concern is finding affordable housing have you ever considered sharing rent?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:58 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne makhlouf View Post
Dear Sand Hill.. My name is Joe I'm a female about in your same position financially I live in Vegas and am very tired of the desert heat and heard how beautiful Oregon was my only concern is finding affordable housing have you ever considered sharing rent?
He hasn't been here in a year and this may have been best sent in a PM anyway.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post

He hasn't been here in a year and this may have been best sent in a PM anyway.

Point 1- Incorrect. Never left, just posting very infrequently for some time now.
Point 2- Correct. A Private Message would indeed reach me sooner.

Quote:

Hi, Joe.

Am admitting that you are the first Joanne personally known that spelled her nickname Joe instead of Jo. :-) Yes, housing is quite expensive wherever one lives in Oregon, better rental prices available east of the Cascades though not much so. Very high property tax rates are responsible for much of the dilemma of affordable rental situations. The sheer demand for housing also exacerbates the challenge for locating affordable housing.

And yes, have previously considered a shared-rent situation over the years though always have dismissed this quickly. In my 60+ years of experiences, the roommate is okay. They are the people coming to visit the roommate causing problems all too often. Since learning this twice the hard way I eschew roommate situations if at all possible.

The best, affordable rents found during my nearly 4 years so far as an Oregon resident have been places such as Burns, Enterprise, LaGrande, Ontario - all eastern Oregon. Of course, if you truly are in my position financially (that is to say- living on a small, fixed monthly income) then there are lists for public housing just about everywhere in populated Oregon should you qualify, though be fore-warned: waiting lists for larger metro areas in western Oregon commonly go to 4 years with other smaller communities along the coast &/or western inland may have waiting lists of 45-60 or more people waiting.

Best wishes for success, Joanne.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Howdy Joanne .

If you check college bulletin boards & newspapers, Craigslist, you might find a room to rent at a fair price, in Oregon.

Best of luck to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon