Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain View Post
I wasn't denying that there are crazy drivers in Seattle. However, most people stay close to the posted speed. Down there, we had to go 80 miles an hour to keep up with traffic, when 65 is the posted speed.

We know that the majority of people on the freeway are not locals. That's only common sense......We are young, yes, but that doesn't mean we don't understand traffic laws or the fact that people driving on a freeway are not always residing in the area we drive through. Like I said before in a previous reply, the traffic was NOT necessarily my question/worry/complaint.
Nor was traffic the main topic I was addressing in my reply.

Quote:
WE TRIED TO PUMP OUR OWN GAS and we were whining about the heat being over 50 degrees hahaha.
Quote:
...and everytime we bought something I'd remind myself (out loud :/) that there was no tax in Oregon.
Well, well, well... This may be the missing puzzle piece. You're one of those people, eh? God, those kind of people are so annoying (I work in customer service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Depends on who you talk to. Many of my native Oregonian friends knock Washingtonians' driving and in general refer to them as hicks or rednecks.
Whenever I am passed on the right it always seems to be a Washington plate... But overall I feel a kinship with Washingtonians, personally. Though I can see how an old time native Portlander might view Vancouverites ("Washingtonians") that way...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,486 times
I know I should keep not get involved with this but............. If there is a driver on the road doing "something stupid" 1/2 the time it has a washingTOON license plate. And lord help me if they are in a hybrid car!!!!!

The problem with california drivers is no matter what speed you are going.... they want to go a mile per hour faster.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM

48 posts, read 87,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
To be totally honest, I'm already annoyed. Sorry.
Annoyed enough to read the whole post, and still reply?!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:43 PM

48 posts, read 87,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
I know I should keep not get involved with this but............. If there is a driver on the road doing "something stupid" 1/2 the time it has a washingTOON license plate. And lord help me if they are in a hybrid car!!!!!

The problem with california drivers is no matter what speed you are going.... they want to go a mile per hour faster.

That's funny, because up here in my town, everytime there's someone doing something unusually crazy on the road, they're from Oregon!!!

But I understand why....your residential areas (at least the ones we drove through) have a good 10-20 mph higher posted speed than ours do. So naturally, some people would come up here and want to go the same speed.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Whenever I am passed on the right it always seems to be a Washington plate... But overall I feel a kinship with Washingtonians, personally. Though I can see how an old time native Portlander might view Vancouverites ("Washingtonians") that way...
Good point because my native friends are all in their 50's and 60's. This is probably a long-time stereotype of their northern neighbors that they have lived with all their lives.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,620 times
Quote:
Thanks, but we're aware of the traffic rules, and that was just an example. That kind of thing doesn't happen on I5 near Seattle! Yes, you have your aggressive, nasty drivers everywhere, but that's not necessarily my question.

What about in stores, restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, etcetera? We got horrible service and unfriendly people and glares every place we stopped in to. I'm just wondering if it's because we're from Washington, or if it's because most people there are snottier than we're used to.
well i'm picking something up here, and it seems like you discovered something. WE up here in Portland, LOVE our neighbors to the north and want to become them soon.
Actually Oregon has been massively invaded by all kinds of uncouth, unmannerly types from certain areas south of our border (any border you have in mind; it could mean Oregon's border, California's border, or the US border!). you are discovering something we have been dreading and sweating for years now. The Invasion is well underway. We locals and longtimers, and some of us natives of Northern Cities, aren't like that at all, we love Washingtonians, especially the second, third generation, and up. in fact our cousins are up there, cool dudes all.
We will be fleeing up North soon.

On second thought, you are correct, in noticing that there is a distinct air of antisocial, feral, and even malevolent, disdain for others, in Oregon in general, and I don't really know which direction it came from: but I suspect it could be Salem. Life is hard in Oregon, since dimwits run everything. You are merely feeling the edge of everyone's misery and angst about living here. Which they might hardly even be aware of.

One question: have you ever done much traveling on the road before this trip?

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 08-23-2010 at 04:26 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
That's funny, because up here in my town, everytime there's someone doing something unusually crazy on the road, they're from Oregon!!!

But I understand why....your residential areas (at least the ones we drove through) have a good 10-20 mph higher posted speed than ours do. So naturally, some people would come up here and want to go the same speed.
yeah, we have different laws. But this makes me recall the fact that when I moved to Portland from a nearby suburb, my car insurance rates went up.....must be that reckless speed posting.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
The folks around Grants Pass have been pretty friendly over the last four lustrums.

Welcome to Wolf Creek.
ok i'm not sure what a lustrum is. is that a year, and in what language, latin?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Yes, all people in Oregon dislike people from Washington.

Well, ok, not really. I spent my youth growing up in Washington, from parents raised in Oregon and with many Oregon relatives. Lived for years as an adult in Oregon. The only times where I was from was an issue was when some of the guys at the sawmill or in the woods where I worked would give me a hard time if I made a mistake--you know, something along the lines of "I guess that's the log in Washington". Not exactly vicious.

And during football season, when the Cougs or Huskies would play the Ducks or Beavs...

Every state I've lived in has always kind of had some kind of rivalry or jokes regarding a neighboring state.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:

That's because both Seattle and Portland are really, really, really BAD about road signs. If you aren't from the city your chance of knowing what road is coming up, and whether it's one-way or not, is poor. In Portland I always gave out-of-state plates a pass on slow (and bad) driving, because they probably WERE lost.

Fortunately there is GPS and the city maps are pretty good and the GPS will tell you what road is coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon