Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about no top off?
Top off should remain illegal as long as self-serve remains illegal. 11 42.31%
Top off should be legal. 11 42.31%
Top off should be legal, but attendant should be held personally accountable for enviro violation for any spills 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM

16 posts, read 37,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
I only tip if they wash my windshield.
That's when I tip too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:09 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Many of the gas stations used to give our dog's cookies. The drive up banks did also.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitala View Post
I live in NJ, a full service only state.

PA just passed a regulation that one MUST stay at the pump while fueling. People were going into those minimarts, causing long lines (and also overfueling) while they ordered food, etc. We have a minimum of those problems here, as attendants are there to ask you to remain with the vehicle, then pull over to the parking lot to get your other items.

Now, I found in my last trip to PA in August, a number of gas stations removed the "trigger holders" forcing you to stand there and hold the pump every moment. I bet that's fun in 20 degree weather with 30 mph winds and driving snow.

I think that removing the "trigger holders" is a terrible idea.

Did anyone ever stop to think about all of the people that have arthritis or a week grip? The elderly?

Put up a sign instead:

"The attendant is required to shut your pump off if you leave your vehicle unattended!"

Old 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,530 times
Many many many stations have a mini-mart and pumps have "call attendant" button.

So, give option that people with DMV disability placard can get attendant pumping at no extra cost.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,038 times
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... I just don't understand why on earth someone would actually WANT to pump their own gas if they didn't have to. It's like the bagger at the grocery store.. It makes me nervous to even suggest taking away the convenience of full-service.

What's next? Will I have to bag my own groceries next? Will I have to bring my own food to the table at Shari's? Will I have to give myself a flu shot at the doctor's office? Will I have to load my own suitcase onto the plane at the airport? What's next?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
We have self serve in Alaska. Real fun at forty below.

There was a big deal here today when some idjit pumping their gas dropped the nozzle and gas gushed out everywhere--they had to close down the whole town.

Can't wait to get back to Oregon.

I like the attendants at my local station in Oregon. Sometimes you have to wait a bit if they are busy. I don't care; why the hell should I? On average, I think that it actually takes less time to have someone pump the gas and to pay at the pump rather than standing around waiting to pay after you've pumped it yourself, especially after your hand gets frozen to the handle.

People do complain about the strangest things; personally I'd prefer to save my angst for something that actually matters.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I don't stand around to wait to pay...........just use my credit card right at the pump.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
That's nice. But the places where I've been that have self serve require a person to go inside and pay a cashier. I'd find it much less of a hassle if they had a place where you could swipe a card right there at the pump instead...never seen that, but it's nice to know that it exists somewhere "

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Just stumbled onto this thread... and this mandatory "full service pumping" is one of the most backward things I've ever heard!

Here is the truth. If full-service was "better", it would still exist everywhere. Consumers would demand it and would be willing to pay extra for it. It's not illegal in other states, it just isn't mandatory. Consumers preferred to pump their own gas, so full-service died off. It's no different than video rental stores and pay phones disappearing.

Some things only continue to exist if a nanny-state government forces the issue. This is one of them.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitala View Post
Now, I found in my last trip to PA in August, a number of gas stations removed the "trigger holders" forcing you to stand there and hold the pump every moment. I bet that's fun in 20 degree weather with 30 mph winds and driving snow.
They do this in Massachusetts, as well and I've talked to a number of people there who carry a pair of spring clamps in their car to circumvent this.

Spring Clamp - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon