U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM

30 posts, read 70,138 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
We're thinking of relocating to the Medford / Jacksonville area and I've been checking out other areas around there (such as Ruch, Eagle Point, Central Point, etc...).

I'm having some trouble finding a lot of info on Central Point, but it looks affordable but still sort of "central".

I'm looking for someplace with good space between houses, good schools and safe.

thanks for any opinions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 63,642 times
Not sure why you started another thread instead of just posting to your original HERE.

Regardless, Central Point is a suburb of Medford that is as flat as flat gets until you start heading up towards Gold Hill. Hot in the summer and somewhat redneckish...but there are some new housing developments there. Schools are probably on par with the Medford system. You can check up on all Oregon schools through this link and their respective AYP's-

AYP and Report Card Download - Oregon Department of Education

Crime reports can be found on this website through the cities individual data.

You're best bet is to evaluate it yourself when you visit in November. Turn off after Rogue River, head out by Shady Cove and come through Eagle Point to Medford. Check out Ashland, drop over to Jacksonville and then down into Central Point. Cruise through Gold Hill on your way out and back to Eugene and you should get a decent feel for it all.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM

30 posts, read 70,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
Not sure why you started another thread instead of just posting to your original HERE.
Because that is a different topic, that was asking about crime rate, this is asking about opinions on Central Point.

Thanks for the rest of the post, I appreciate the input and I'm definitely going to drive up to Shady Cove and take a look when we're out there.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 PM

5,516 posts, read 5,075,207 times
I know somebody who lives in Central Point with kids and likes it. It is fairly decent for the criteria you mention in the other thread but maybe not stellar. In town Central Point is pretty dense. Eagle Point is more spread out (half the density per sq mile).

Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM

963 posts, read 2,725,563 times
I would say that the City of Central Point proper -- bounded on the south by Beall Ln. and on the west by Grant -- is nothing special. It is a fairly small high-density suburb of Medford. Crater Lake High School split up into four different "academies" a few years ago, and has received some acclaim for how it's handling 9-12 education (it's also had its fair share of criticism).

If you want rural property southwest of I-5 in Jackson County, there are some nice close-in areas in the corridor between Jacksonville and Gold Hill (along Old Stage Rd. and Hanley Rd.) that will be addressed to Central Point and feed into the CP school district. Some of these are very close to Jacksonville. Most of these will be markedly more affordable than Jacksonville and with similar scenery, but without the "J'ville vibe." It's a mostly blue-collar, lower middle-class area.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM

153 posts, read 457,553 times
Can one get out of the fog area in Central Point, Jacksonville or Gold Hill areas? Also, does the wind pick up in any of these areas? I understand Medford has days when the wind is dead and you are recommended to stay indoors.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM

963 posts, read 2,725,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowink View Post
Can one get out of the fog area in Central Point, Jacksonville or Gold Hill areas? Also, does the wind pick up in any of these areas? I understand Medford has days when the wind is dead and you are recommended to stay indoors.
Stay indoors because the wind is "dead"...as if indoor air is somehow livelier or scrubbed clean of outdoor pollutants? That advice must have come from the "duck-and-cover" advocates of the 1960's who wanted to save us from the 4000-degree inferno of a nuclear blast by having us crouch down under our desks at school. Your home does not manufacture air. The air in a well-weatherized house is entirely replenished with outdoor air about 10 times a day, so you can't hide from outdoor air quality by going indoors.

On its very lightest days, valley fog mostly stays along the river bottom lowlands, so Central Point and Gold Hill are not good prospects for avoiding it. On its heaviest days, fog fills up the whole valley and not even the East Medford hills are above it. In between, you might occasionally get above the fog in the East Medford hills or the rural hills west of Old Stage Rd...perhaps including the area just west of Jacksonville. But being above the fog doesn't necessarily mean you'll be in the sun; you might just be exposed to a higher level of overcast. Winter fog is simply a fact of life in the Rogue Valley. So is low wind velocity.

As a legal municipality, Central Point is quite small. The "Central Point area," on the other hand is vast. It could include anything from a rural location just north of Jacksonville to a rural area just west of Eagle Point -- two locations thirty miles apart. It runs on both sides of the freeway and well to the north of it.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Where I'm from, Arizona, most homes are airconditioned. Most have ceiling fans, to move the air. On extreme heat days, the radio folk ,reccomend the older citizens stay indoors, where the air can be circulated and cooled. One could stand outside in 114 degree heat and stagnant air and suffocate very slowly. The advice is sound. However without air conditioning or evaporation coolers and fans, it would make little differance. The world has indeed moved ahead. We have air purification systems available also.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Please excuse me for not being clear with my question. Just how far would one have to be from Medford-Central Point area to get where the air movement is a little stronger and the probability
of fog is not emminant? Just trying to imagine if there is a better area, close by. While living in Kent Washington, every February the Fog would come, but only on the west valley hill. The east valley hill had fog, but light. As one would drive to Federal Way it would deminish. Is it like that around Medford?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM

Still waiting for a response. But since the inquiry, I have visited your area. I am very impressed. From Roseville south is so much more captivating than I had ever imagined. If all works out in our favor, we will someday inhabit one of your quaint little towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon