Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,038 times

Advertisements

All I know is that I fall asleep when the temp reaches about 70+ degrees. So it doesn't really matter how much is going on out in the world if I am sleeping through it all anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
All I know is that I fall asleep when the temp reaches about 70+ degrees. So it doesn't really matter how much is going on out in the world if I am sleeping through it all anyway.

Not when you are driving though - right ?

LOL

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,038 times
not yet

Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My first wife & my beloved daughter & family live in Surprise & Peoria, AZ. They spend most of their time hugging an A/C

It's TOO HOT to enjoy the Great OutDoors, like we can here in Oregon.

Well, yes, for 3-4 months out of the year, southern Arizona is too hot (at least at mid-day, early mornings and night are still comfortable). But for 7 months of the year, western Oregon is too rainy and chilly to be outdoors (unless you're a duck and your idea of good outdoor weather is pouring rain with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 40's). You're going to have some cabin fever either place, but a much longer period of it in western Oregon...and southern Oregon isn't much of a refuge from uncomfortably hot summer weather, either. Plenty of days over 100 there, too.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
But for 7 months of the year, western Oregon is too rainy and chilly to be outdoors (unless you're a duck and your idea of good outdoor weather is pouring rain with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 40's).
Brenda-by-the-sea, I'm not crazy about Western Oregon's many gloomy months either but you have to admit that there aren't 7 months of 'pouring rain with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 40's'. Most of those months get drizzle and the temps warm up to the 50's & 60's. Maybe because I'm a native I AM a duck & don't even realize it.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
Brenda-by-the-sea, I'm not crazy about Western Oregon's many gloomy months either but you have to admit that there aren't 7 months of 'pouring rain with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 40's'. Most of those months get drizzle and the temps warm up to the 50's & 60's. Maybe because I'm a native I AM a duck & don't even realize it.
From Nov. to April, mornings typically start out in the 30's and sometimes lower. Temps may hit the 50's (rarely the 60's) in the crest of the afternoon, but that's only for a couple of hours. From Dec. to Mar. there are many many days when the daily high is in the 40's. Once again, it's the average over a 24 hr. period, not the extreme high or low, that's the problem. The total number of hours that are into the temperate zone (65F to 85F and dry) during those seven months of the year is dismally low.

Let me emphasize that I'm not taking issue with people's preferences for colder weather. There are a lot people who have thermal regulation issues with their bodies due to diabetes, menopause, obesity, peripheral arterial disease, Renault's Syndrome, or other medical problems. Their bodies don't dissipate heat properly and they need to live in cool climates. For people like aroseinrain, even temperate conditions are too warm, and chilly weather is preferred. But for years, far more people have been flocking to places like L.A., Sacramento, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Orland, Miami, etc. than to cool rainy areas like the PNW. This is the major growth area of the U.S. and climate is the reason why. They represent the middle of the bell curve with regard to climate preferences.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Well, yes, for 3-4 months out of the year, southern Arizona is too hot (at least at mid-day, early mornings and night are still comfortable). But for 7 months of the year, western Oregon is too rainy and chilly to be outdoors (unless you're a duck and your idea of good outdoor weather is pouring rain with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 40's). You're going to have some cabin fever either place, but a much longer period of it in western Oregon...and southern Oregon isn't much of a refuge from uncomfortably hot summer weather, either. Plenty of days over 100 there, too.
Howdy Brenda

I live at about 2,000' on a beautiful forested mountain. In the summer i use the shade of the forest for cooling & use fan's. Don't have A/C.
For heat in the winter i mostly use my woodburner. Have plenty of firewood. I love the rain. I think here we usually get about 20"-25" yearly.

Cloudy, rainy doesn't depress me. I embrace it. The life in my basspond thrive on the rain. The forest critters & human kind go about their business, as it rains.

In 2001-2002, we spent 8 months in AZ by the CO River, Laughlin/Fort Mohave/Lake Havasu area. Had a wonderful, funtime fishin', playing.
Around Thanksgiving it was 90 degrees out. Many nights it got down to 30 or below, & very Windy. In May 2002 it was up to 120 degrees. Time fer us to skidaddle north to our forests.

We truly love living here in "God's Country".

Have a Beautiful Day.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
It's a cool summer. October is the switchover month - on October 1, there is a 20% chance of rain on a given day in the Willamette Valley; by October 31, that chance is 80%. It has been theorized that Oregon will have cooler and cloudier summers in the future, as a result of the Asian Brown Cloud drifting over the Pacific Northwest. The ABC is a cloud of pollution mostly from coal burning. In the 1970s it was thought that the planet might cool; this is the reason why. Time will tell...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
There are very few days in the year in which a person can't take a walk in beautiful western Oregon. I have jackets with hoods in case of drizzle, and some Dollar Tree mittens in a pocket, to put on, if needed. What I cannot understand is how people can live in climates with humidity. Humidity/heat just exhausts me to the core. I feel I cannot breath. Humidity depresses me. Here, even in the winter....worst case...be it drizzling and in the 40's, I can still go outside with my hooded jacket/mittens and still breath fresh air. Sept/Oct is gorgeous here. Summers are beautiful and usually mild. Spring brings lots of days with clouds/sun/showers and the beauty that brings too...There may some times in winter less than "ideal", but that is a very small price to pay to live in this gorgeous state! So, I guess, the moral to this is "to each his own", right guys?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
It's a cool summer. October is the switchover month - on October 1, there is a 20% chance of rain on a given day in the Willamette Valley; by October 31, that chance is 80%. It has been theorized that Oregon will have cooler and cloudier summers in the future, as a result of the Asian Brown Cloud drifting over the Pacific Northwest. The ABC is a cloud of pollution mostly from coal burning. In the 1970s it was thought that the planet might cool; this is the reason why. Time will tell...
That's a 20% chance of measurable precipitation in a 24 hour period, which sort of changes the perspective. If you step outside, you soon notice that the rain happens at night when the atmosphere is cool. As soon as the sun warms things up in the morning, it quits raining and the overcast breaks up, leaving periods of sunshine throughout the day.

The problem with office workers is that they drive to work in the morning before the sun stops the rain, and when they get off work they have maybe an hour of daylight and it's dark again. They miss the whole day, so they think the weather is rotten. They also don't exercise, so they think it's cold. Get that heart rate up to 100 beats per minute and hold it there for a couple hours. Your idea of a comfortable temperature will take a real nosedive.

Winter storms start rolling in off the Pacific around the first of November. During November we normally get about three storms where it will rain for two days straight, followed by partly cloudy and showers mixed with sunshine for a week or so. December is the wettest month, and January is the coldest. By February the weather is much improved, and we always get a week or ten days of beautiful sunny weather in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon