U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM

7,925 posts, read 6,418,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPatty View Post
It's pronounced "Will -am -mit" the accent is on the "amit" I'm an Oregonian and live near Eugene.
Still not it. My Mother is a Skinner and Eugene exists in part because of my ancestors (The Skinners, Phelps, and Huffs).

Several were close. The "L" is sounded in both sylibals as pronounced by the local indiginous peoples. Drum roll please .......

Will - Lam - Mit.

Although some tribes end it with Mut
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM

661 posts, read 1,082,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
sylibals
Nope, not it. You're close though. My mother was a speller. Drum roll please...

Its "syllables".

Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,418,136 times
Thanks. I missed that.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,167,368 times
I studied French... so when we moved here I pronounced it very wrong! I quickly learned it's not Willam-ETTE.... it's wuh-LAM-it. Here's a link to a page which might also help: A Northwest Pronunciation Guide

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,660,765 times
Quote:
Still not it. My Mother is a Skinner and Eugene exists in part because of my ancestors (The Skinners, Phelps, and Huffs).

Several were close. The "L" is sounded in both sylibals as pronounced by the local indiginous peoples. Drum roll please .......

Will - Lam - Mit.

Although some tribes end it with Mut
Just don't see how you get the 2nd "M" in that, not that it's your fault, mind you.

And I suppose it won't hurt to lean to speak as such, but it sure makes my beard itch as to how the 2nd 'M' got in there.

Phillip (as in Fil-lip, but Fil-ip is spelled with only one 'L')

Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 PM

674 posts, read 1,171,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Just don't see how you get the 2nd "M" in that, not that it's your fault, mind you.

And I suppose it won't hurt to lean to speak as such, but it sure makes my beard itch as to how the 2nd 'M' got in there.

Phillip (as in Fil-lip, but Fil-ip is spelled with only one 'L')
I think he means the 'l' and 'm' are geminates, essentially that they are 'long' consonants. Languages like Italian use geminates much more than English. From my perspective, with a background in linguistics, it doesn't matter how a word "should" be said, as that's a fairly arbitrary decision (who decides, and why?). All that matters is how a word is said. No one in Portland pronounces Willamette with geminates, so it's wrong to instruct someone else to do it. This is how I would transcribe it: /wə'læmɪt/ or /wə'læmɨt/.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 PM

42 posts, read 78,216 times
I can't believe I read this whole thread... Get here. If you say it wrong, someone will tell you the right way to say it and you'll be good to go!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:52 AM

12 posts, read 15,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormor View Post
If you are living in Portland??? the street Glisan is pronounced GLEE-SON, like Jackie Gleeson.
Then there is Couch St. ... pronounced cooch.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

13,540 posts, read 10,431,750 times
Quote:
Sorry. That is the Midwest pronunciation as in the city east of Chicago.

Hey Steve, there is no east of Chicago unless you are talking about Lake Michigan. I don't know how the fishes pronounce that.

The suburb to which I believe you are referring is Wilmette which is north of the city of Chicago (see my first post) and it is pronounced Will-Met. Sometimes it is pronounced incorrectly as Will-AH-Met but folks don't bother correcting this any more than they do when people say Chic-ah-go rather than the way the natives pronounce it as Chi-CAW-go.

And for the record, there is no "noise" in Illinois.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,204,065 times
I went to college back east and had to take a geography course. The professor spent about a day on the PNW and I swear pronounced everything wrong, said there was zero volcanic activity in the Cascades (pre-St. Helens eruption). I hung back after class, told him that just a few months earlier both Rainier and Baker had steam releases and told him how to pronounce Willamette (He said it the same way as the Illinois one) and Couer d'Alene (He pronounced it the proper French way). I was polite, respectful. His response? "You people say it wrong", turning on his heel and walking away.

For some reason, I really began to doubt most everything else he said that semester...

Oh, and I say Willamette the right way...and also Orygun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon