Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:57 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times

Advertisements

Sure, the winters are VERY mild for the latitude (especially in the valleys), but summer is short and relatively cool, and most of the state gets quite a bit of snow. Oregon's average temperature is around 50-55F year-round.

I would say Oregon has quite a cold climate, and without the oceanic influence, I would think Oregon would be as cold as Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,529 times
Yes, but Oregon DOES have the moderating influence of the Pacific that keeps it from getting as cold as Montana. If you're familiar with the USDA's climate zones you will see that Brookings is rated as zone 10- winter lows between 30F-40F. It's the farthest north you'll find zone 10 & you will find many plants that grow hundreds of miles south in California growing in Brookings. I've been in Montana in January & it was the first time I'd ever experienced below 0 temps. (I was born & raised in Portland) In fact it was -30F. I think you'd probably have to go to the top of Mt Hood to find those temps in Oregon. Even the East side of Oregon is milder than that.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I would say that "Oregon" can't be held to have a single climate, where you can just average the year's temperatures or rainfall or anything else. Break apart the regions,as the climate is very different.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I would say that "Oregon" can't be held to have a single climate, where you can just average the year's temperatures or rainfall or anything else. Break apart the regions,as the climate is very different.
This is absolutely true! It's definitely one of the most diverse states in terms of climate and weather.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
I agree. Generally I think that there's a gradient from west to east, maritime to continental. As you move east, the maritime influence loses out to the continental influence until there's virtually no maritime influence by the time you get to the ID border. I think Hwy 97 is the front line in the battle between these two climate regimes. Bend can see pretty big winter temperature fluctuations, and may be relatively warm in the winter based on which regime is winning the battle. On the other hand, Newport is rarely below freezing in the winter and Ontario is rarely very warm in the winter.

Then you throw in all the elevation differences and you get regional climates that vary considerably.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Over on the dry side of the Cascades we've still got a maritime influence, simply because ocean-born storms give us our winter snow and provide the Cascade snow pack we need for water. It's not so much a gradient (which implies a gradual shift) in temps as it is a sharp divide provided by the Cascades, especially in high desert Central and Southern Oregon versus the land at the same latitudes on the other side of the Cascades. Although Medford temps and precip are closer to Klamath Falls temps than Salem temps and precips are to Bend's.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Over on the dry side of the Cascades we've still got a maritime influence, simply because ocean-born storms give us our winter snow and provide the Cascade snow pack we need for water. It's not so much a gradient (which implies a gradual shift) in temps as it is a sharp divide provided by the Cascades, especially in high desert Central and Southern Oregon versus the land at the same latitudes on the other side of the Cascades. Although Medford temps and precip are closer to Klamath Falls temps than Salem temps and precips are to Bend's.
It's definitely complicated, and I didn't mean to imply that it's a consistent gradation from west to east. Just more of a general trend--as you move east the maritime influence decreases. I'm no climatologist, so forgive the imprecision in my terminology.

You're right that there's also a north to south differential, then you throw those crazy Siskiyous in there and it blows up any attempt to generalize climate patterns statewide, which I think was your original point.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
By most people's standards in the mid-west and east coast we are not a cold state. Go hang out in Chicago in winter with the wind off Lake Michigan freezing your face off and then we're talking cold climate. Compared to the Caribbean we are cold so it depends on what you are asking. Are we cold on a global scale or would most American's consider Oregon cold?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 PM

37 posts, read 109,806 times
Summer? Cool? Yeah right. Anything above 80 is too hot.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 22,945 times
It is not cold, I have never worn a jacket in OR and I've lived here for 3 years (unfortunately). The summers can get a little hot but it's not bad cuz there is not much humidity if at all...fall, winter, spring are rainy and just below warm.

I; however, am from MN so I laugh at the people bundled up in 50 degree weather. My reply probably didn't help at all but i'm bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon