Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 PM

17 posts, read 51,860 times

Advertisements

I had another post go up about where to live in OR and I have narrowed it down to Eugene. However, Humboldt County CA is coming up on the radar also, which is another area I know little about. I am curious if anyone is familiar with both and the major differences. I am use to a Fort Collins/Boulder Colorado lifestyle but don't dig the snow anymore, and why I am looking at coming to these areas. The main things important to me is:

* Public transportation - I don't drive at all, so heavily rely on public transportation which I am familiar with what they have in Eugene now, but an important factor is bike racks on the bus, and easy access.

* Community - laid back, easy going, friendly. Lot's of cheap/free outdoor events like music, markets, art, etc... I wouldn't consider myself a hippie, nor would I say I am normal, but somewhere in the middle...I am a Dead, Phish, Panic kind of guy for sure though.

* Community resources - like health, and more importantly for me, "Mental" health is very important. This probably isn't the typical requirement or question for most, but I am extremely Bipolar and rely on mental health services for low income folks. If anyone could share any information or experience on this it would help a lot.

* Weather - I have familiarized myself with Eugene and know what to expect there but don't know much about Humboldt, and more importantly, being able to function via biking in the weather full-time since I don't drive.

* Housing - will be looking for a studio or 1 bdrm. Apt $600 a month or less. Is housing easily available within this price range and is there much of a difference between the two areas here?

* I am also very 420 friendly and one of the things that really drives me to these two areas. Public and legal tolerance, acceptance, etc...is a huge factor in my decision.

* Low crime rate - more specifically violent crimes and want to be able to walk around any time of the night without feeling threatened or concerned for my safety.

Employment isn't an issue for me in either area so not a factor at all in making my decision.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon