Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM

39 posts, read 86,345 times

Advertisements

We've been in northern Ca now for a year. We moved here from Colorado, as the winters finally got to us, and th weather is so unpredictable there. We would have considered Oregon but we have one daughter here in Santa Rosa. What is the problem with the politics in Oregon? I thought it was a lot better than the politics here in CA. Aren't taxes lower? And are the school budgets getting cut severely? We love it here, mild winters, near beach and redwoods, and we don't have to commute to SF. Howver, the sales tax, state tax and housing is high. We paid $400k for a nice house. I agree that quality of life is fantastic here. I wonder if we would also be hapy in Oregon and pay less for a house.
As for the person who said you could buy a house in other places for 150k, you know those places are not too great. Our other daughter lives in Austin, which is pretty nice, but once you leave, it's pretty conservative. Also, politics are bad, climate is awful! in the summer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Crescent City is better than Brookings hands down. Crescent City was been voted one of the most beautiful towns in America on Forbes List (look it up). Brookings is a beautiful place as well but only if you drive daddys bmw or are want to settle down. Keep in mind both towns are small and have limited things to do though. Crescent City is more spread out while Brookings is more condensed Crescent City is the bigger of two. You cannot judge Crescent City locals by saying they are taken over by the prison because half of the prison guards live in Brookings. They really are sister cities and a lot alike but CC will always win in my book.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 AM

48 posts, read 188,517 times
Default Brookings

You are the first person I've ever heard who thinks Crescent City is better than Brookings. I love the redwoods and all, but there is no denying Brookings has better weather, restaurants and lower crime rate.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Crescent City? Crescent City is a pit! There are some beautiful natural areas not far from CC, but the town itself will never be regarded as attractive. And that's not surprising. Small-town poverty and low educational attainment don't generally produce the most handsome civic environs.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:56 PM

22 posts, read 29,448 times
Just would like to thank the original post person for asking many of the same questions I have ('cept I'm in the CA bay area), and all the wonderful replies. I keep looking at Brookings Harbor; I'm a redwoods and fog fan.

How come there's no Trader Joe's on the Oregon coast? What about organic/healthy food, nightlife, bookstores, coffee roasting? Is it touristy? Is it a good place to want to learn how to fish and have a wood burning fireplace? Not at all a summer fan or a dog fan. I like hanging out with nature, yet.. what else is there to do there (or does that drop away)? Does Brookings shut down at 8PM (it looks like it online)? What kind of dining is there? There are no meetups there; what do folks do there?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSta View Post
Just would like to thank the original post person for asking many of the same questions I have ('cept I'm in the CA bay area), and all the wonderful replies. I keep looking at Brookings Harbor; I'm a redwoods and fog fan.

How come there's no Trader Joe's on the Oregon coast? What about organic/healthy food, nightlife, bookstores, coffee roasting? Is it touristy? Is it a good place to want to learn how to fish and have a wood burning fireplace? Not at all a summer fan or a dog fan. I like hanging out with nature, yet.. what else is there to do there (or does that drop away)? Does Brookings shut down at 8PM (it looks like it online)? What kind of dining is there? There are no meetups there; what do folks do there?
You are coming from a large, heavily populated area, looking at a very small isolated area. It does not have a lot of the city-style amenities you are looking for, although there will be opportunities to learn how to fish. The town is oriented toward retirees and tourists, so there isn't really much of a nightlife and the town does pretty much shut down at night. In summer there are farmer's markets and craft markets. If you need entertainment other than ocean-watching, fishing and hiking, the coast might not be for you.

The Fred Meyer store (groceries, housewares, clothing) has an organic/"natural" section. Otherwise, pickings are slim. Trader Joe's requires a larger population base - the closest ones to the Northern California/Southern Oregon coast are in Medford, OR and Santa Rosa, CA. There are only 12 Trader Joe's stores in Oregon and 10 of them are in the Eugene-Portland corridor, which is Oregon's population base.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:22 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSta View Post
....... Not at all a summer fan or a dog fan. I like hanging out with nature ........
If you literally mean you don't want to be around dogs, you will have a difficult time in Oregon. Oregonians like their dogs and easily 50% of the families on the beach or hiking in the woods will have their dog with them. The dogs are almost always off-leash. If that will spoil your time, then you won't get to do much "hanging out with nature".

Old 04-27-2015, 06:45 PM

317 posts, read 307,895 times
DebSta. Go check out the area. My wife and I first took a trip to CC on a whim a couple of years ago and fell in love with the area. We went back again last year and stayed in Brookings. We're also both from the Bay, her San Jose and San Francisco for me. We both want out of this crazy Bay Area. It's just gotten to over crowded and too rediculously over priced. We're thinking CC or Smith River, but Brookings is also in our consideration. We don't need the night life or entertainment as we enjoy nature and being on the coast more. I truly suggest spending some time in the area to see if it is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon