Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

The weather report tonight was very interesting. "There's a BIG glop of moisture heading our way. If it was in the Gulf of Mexico, it would be a hurricane. There's an even bigger one behind it that should be here Sunday."

Traditionally the winter storms don't start until the first week of November. This one is showing up a week early. If you ski, they are predicting up to 18 inches of snow above 6000 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,529 times
Were you living in Oregon on October 12, 1962? Oregon DID get hit by a hurricane (I think they're called typhoons or cyclones in the Pacific Ocean.) I was a 12-year-old paperboy and was unable to deliver my papers because of all of the trees that had blown on top of the houses in Irvington. We watched our neighborhood blow by our dining room window the night before. Power was out for days because so many power lines were down. I know that there were loses of both human & farm animal lives. It's something that no Oregonian living then will ever forget.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Time to get the yellow rubber ducky rain coat..
we are suppose to have last years east coast winter out here.
so hang on to your hats.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 PM

I just saw on the news that storm's coming to the SF Bay Area, too. It looks like sunday's going to be the worst day. That's the day I work outside at the nursery all day! It's been drizzling here all day.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
Were you living in Oregon on October 12, 1962? Oregon DID get hit by a hurricane (I think they're called typhoons or cyclones in the Pacific Ocean.) I was a 12-year-old paperboy and was unable to deliver my papers because of all of the trees that had blown on top of the houses in Irvington. We watched our neighborhood blow by our dining room window the night before. Power was out for days because so many power lines were down. I know that there were loses of both human & farm animal lives. It's something that no Oregonian living then will ever forget.
Yeah, I was playing a non-league football game at the Chemawa Indian School that afternoon. We won. The sky got really weird and some huge raindrops came down. By the time we went across the bridge in Salem, the storm had hit. We put our football helmets and pads on again, because we thought the bus might go over, but we made it to Rickreall. After that it was a tail wind all the way back to Amity.

Dolph Schutz and Marilyn McManimie were on Wallace Road when an oak tree blew over on their car. It was a bee tree, and they were stung to death. Dolph was the quarterback on Dayton's football team, and Marilyn was a beautiful and talented violinist.

The Leppins had a small dairy operation on 99W just west of Dundee. Their barn collapsed and killed almost the whole herd. Fortunately, the people were able to get out, but it was milking time and the cows were looking for shelter.

I knew Dolph and Marilyn. Rudy Leppin was one of my brother's classmates. Jan McManimie named a daughter Marilyn, after his sister.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
Oregon DID get hit by a hurricane (I think they're called typhoons or cyclones in the Pacific Ocean.)
The meteorologists call them "extratropical cyclones" when they hit north of California, I guess. The Columbus Day Storm of '62 was the most destructive weather event to hit the northwest until the floods of 1996. The floods killed fewer people, but did more economic and physical damage.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Wow, Larry. That must've been pretty traumatic for you.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, I was playing a non-league football game at the Chemawa Indian School that afternoon. We won. The sky got really weird and some huge raindrops came down. By the time we went across the bridge in Salem, the storm had hit. We put our football helmets and pads on again, because we thought the bus might go over, but we made it to Rickreall. After that it was a tail wind all the way back to Amity.

Dolph Schutz and Marilyn McManimie were on Wallace Road when an oak tree blew over on their car. It was a bee tree, and they were stung to death. Dolph was the quarterback on Dayton's football team, and Marilyn was a beautiful and talented violinist.

The Leppins had a small dairy operation on 99W just west of Dundee. Their barn collapsed and killed almost the whole herd. Fortunately, the people were able to get out, but it was milking time and the cows were looking for shelter.

I knew Dolph and Marilyn. Rudy Leppin was one of my brother's classmates. Jan McManimie named a daughter Marilyn, after his sister.

That's very terrible Bro.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
I remember it well, the day before was my 12th birthday and we hovered in the back of the basement for the entire evening and night. No one in my neighborhood was hurt but a lot of houses lost their roofs - blown off and moved down the road, trees down, no power, couldn't get in or out of our area for several days. We always called it the "Columbus Day Storm".

Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Yeah, the Columbus Day storm. Now that it's no longer called Columbus Day I thought I'd just use the date. I think my parents must not have been believing what they were seeing because they let us stand by the windows and watch the storm. We saw metal garbage cans, pieces of fences, pieces of cars, parts of roofs, etc... roll by our window. I forgot about the roofs that were blown off houses. The trees in Irvington were really tall and a lot of them were lying across the streets with their tops crushing the roofs of houses. I think Holladay Park near Lloyd Center lost at least 1/3 of their trees.
Do you remember the Christmas flood of '65? My buddy & I went down to the Willamette near N. Russell Street & almost got sucked down into the mud. I think it was the worst flooding until '96.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon