Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Interesting that if Multnomah County votes weren't counted, Dudley would be Governor........
Once again Portland tells the state what to do whether they like it or not.
Rural Oregonians need to start having more babies to bolster their voter rolls. The effect will start being felt in the 2030 election, when those kids are old enough to vote.

You know what you need to do, Grant County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM

286 posts, read 521,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Interesting that if Multnomah County votes weren't counted, Dudley would be Governor........
Once again Portland tells the state what to do whether they like it or not.

I wonder how many residents of Multnomah county were around during or remember Kitz's last round as Governor?
Much to the chagrin of conservatives the bazillion square miles of empty land they control, just doesn’t make a difference.

Cities don’t elect Governors the states citizens do.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
"I wonder how many residents of Multnomah county were around during or remember Kitz's last round as Governor?"

I reside in Yamhill County, but I was here. He was called "Dr. No" because he vetoed everything. At the time, the Oregon Senate was controlled by right-wing ideologues who put forth bills like, for example, exempting farmworker housing from having to meet the state electrical code.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Was this really a surprise to anyone? Portland/Salem/Eugene blindly vote Democrat, no matter how bad the candidate. Oregon gets what Oregon deserves as a result - and the result is that state is about to take an even bigger nosedive.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Actually, Salem often votes conservative.

Sorry that whatever your experience living in Oregon was that has made you so bitter about it, and I certainly hope that things go well for you wherever you're at now.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Yes, I was going to say the same. Salem? Don't know Oregon as well as you presume to, Xanathos. Corvallis, Ashland, yes. But Salem (Marion) along with Albany (Linn) are two conservative islands in the mostly Democratic Willamette Valley.. And Oregon's liberals don't vote blindly. They know who they're voting for.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Kitzhaber won the vote in seven counties (noting the largest town(s) in each for those who aren't familiar with them): Clatsop (Astoria), Washington (Hillsboro; Beaverton; Tigard), Multomah (Portland), Hood River (Hood River), Lincoln (Newport; Lincoln City), Benton (Corvallis), and Lane (Eugene).

Dudley won the other 29 counties, including Marion (Salem), Linn (Albany), and Clackamas (Oregon City; Lake Oswego; Milwaukee).

Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Thanks for posting those results. Clackamas County doesn't surprise. And I'm sure Jackson & Deschutes voted the same way. Oh yeah, that's what you just said!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Based on all the Dudley signs in town, I fully expected him to carry Marion county. Salem tends to be quite moderate in its politics and swings from election to election.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
FYI to newbies to Portland area, who read this thread beyond the November 2010 election.

As I compose this post there has been an ongoing debate on replacing an aging bridge over the Columbia River connecting Vancouver WA and Portland on I-5. Portland liberals are opposed to the massive car capacity of the design of this bridge. Some of the offered Designs have few options for any mass transit solution to reduce car usage during rush hour. Vancouver chooses not to be tied into Portland TriMet System. Due to tax advantages of no State Income Tax. Vancouver is trying to make itself a bedroom 'burb of Portland (or at least some housing builders are.)

Currently there is a daily tie up of traffic on the bridge and along I-5 from the bridge to Downtown Portland; which naturally acts as a counter weight to the growth of suburbia housing for Portland commuters. This bridge is a much bigger issue with the voters in the City of Portland than many on this forum site gives credence to. Liberals want to keep the bridge traffic jams as a way to confine urban sprawl and reduce the dependence on foreign oil. (really long story.... don't ask.)

At my local barbershop, a week or so before the election, the feeling was Dudley was in favor of the bridge, and if he became Governor, Dudley could, and would, force the City of Portland's Mayor to go along with the bridge's design and force the funding of the Bridge. Thus, the three other men in the barbershop were gong to vote against Dudley, and I presume they did so.

Aside: The design of the bridge's budget estimates for constructions keep getting revised upward, and many voters feel the low-balling of the construction estimates would hang the State of Oregon and Portland budgets out to dry many years to come due to cost overruns, construction delays, and so forth. While of course the big money housing construction cabal in Clark County Washington (the deep pockets don't live there, that's only where the housing boom will happen) who are the big supporters of this commuter's bridge in the first place would only see their profits soar. The bridge's cost would not be as burdensome on the State of Washington, since the claim is the commuters crossing the new bridge would have to pay the tolls to cross the bridge, thus the State of Washington should not have to pay as much for their share of the bridge.

Oh, the short(er?) version---
Dudley didn't make it clear he was opposed to the rebuilding the I-5 bridge to some super wide 10 lane monster, so it was assumed (correctly of course) he would endorse it and force the City of Portland to pay up their share for the construction even though the people of PDX oppose this bridge so deeply.

As closely as the race was, if Dudley came out totally opposed to rebuilding the bridge for economic and fiscal responsible reasons **at this time**, he might have tipped the scale in the Portland voting. But of course, as the Republican Party candidate this year, he couldn't do that.

this is all just my opinion of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon