U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 AM

9,986 posts, read 12,175,865 times

Advertisements

I do think German heritage is quite common on most of the West, but only slightly above Irish, and people have intermarried so much it really is no longer clear. Kind of a bum rap for the German-American folks, most of them came here nearly a century before the Nazi a$$holes made German a four letter word. But still noone is likely to say "kiss me, I'm German!" Not sure what the origin of people is down here in Ashland, but the darn town is overrun with good looking, big blond kids. It's like the "Sound of Music" or something. I would guess many are of German, Dutch, English, or Scandinavian extraction, but mostly they are Californian expats whose parents rode the equity tsunami into town. Where they came from before that, I have no clue!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 12-03-2010 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 AM

9,986 posts, read 12,175,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
You mean the Atlantic Archipelago?

Dictionary - Definition of Atlantic Archipelago

Atlantic Archipelago? I like it. The damn Brits have gotten too much air time for the last 400 years or so. The Irish have centuries of reasons to not want to be lumped with the Brits. Also, another thing I hate is the term "Anglo-Saxon" as if one Germanic tribe were not enough (and if butt-kicking is all that counts, what about the Romans, Danes, and Normans!). Truth be told anywhere in the Archipelago has been a mixture or Celtic and Germanic influences for at least a millenium. And they are really mostly hispanic anyway! Apparently the original megalithic inhabitants of the Isles who gave the fair skin, freckles, and weakness for alcohol came north from coastal Spain long. long before the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Norwegians,etc. arrived. They are all just touch up paint on the base coat. It is true all the groups that left a linguistic heritage were Celtic (of several tribes) or Germanic (of several tribes), but their common origin is much deeper. Although it too is inaccurate, I would much prefer the term Anglo-Celtic, which would rightly describe the tremendous influence of those two cultural traditions in recent centuries. Scotland, Ireland, and Wales have some serious cultural mojo and have for centuries. All this uber Germanic stuff is harkens back to 19th century racist justifications for treating the non-English like crap. I think the Isles have dominated the world culture of the last 400 years so precisely because of the cultural hybrid vigor of those great cultures. So, I repeat, Anglo-Celtic, though Afro-Celtic makes for better music and HispanoCeltoRomanoAngloSaxoDanoDalradioNorwegian might be more accurate!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 12-03-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM

6,466 posts, read 11,992,810 times
Oregon grew (and continues to grow) on word of mouth. Thus we've been inundated with waves of residents from one ethnic group or another as newcomers wrote home and got their families and friends to come join them.

It's even harder to track down because this happened in micro areas. For instance, Lake County was heavily hit with Irish Sheep herders in the 1870-1900 time period.

But in that same time period Columbia County was second generation Maine settlers who came from Norway before that.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM

14,398 posts, read 13,952,286 times
There was a big influx of Basque sheep herders into the Jordan Valley area after 1900. There was also a big wave of immigrants from the Great Lakes region after they cut down all their forests. That was a mixed group, but had a heavy Scandinavian component.

Southern Oregon was a big destination for southerners who had been carpetbagged out of their land after the Civil War. That's how the KKK came to dominate state politics for so long. Most of those immigrants were pretty uniformly of English ancestry.

Oregon is still very uniformly white. Exclusion laws did not start to break down until WWII brought black workers into the shipyards in Portland. Even in the 1950s, I remember a Chinese man who wasn't allowed to live or own property inside the city limits of McMinnville.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM

4,037 posts, read 6,227,689 times
There is at least one Scot celebrating Christmas in Portland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbfD9OKwqBs

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

478 posts, read 679,604 times
HAH Karlsch

My surname is Scottish and I love Oregon.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 PM

10,309 posts, read 17,543,136 times
Me: English from before the Civil War - covered wagon variety, Norwegian (2nd generation) with some German (via PA mid 1800s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon