U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 AM

11 posts, read 23,173 times

Advertisements

Hello Oregon posters. I'm looking for recommendations on cities to check out. We're seeking moderate temperatures (not too hot / not too cold) and plenty of sun. I like four seasons, but I'm tired of the bitter winters in Wisconsin and could be happy without ever dipping below 30 degrees again. We don't like really humid weather either. Ideally, I'd love to find California weather without CA prices and politics. I've heard southern OR is beautiful (well, all of OR is beautiful, but weather-wise this is supposed to be pretty nice?), so I'm wondering if there are areas to research further. We'd love a college-town, and of course, someplace with decent cost-of-living. Is it possible to find all of this together? I welcome any and all advice! Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,952,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment98 View Post
We're seeking moderate temperatures (not too hot / not too cold) and plenty of sun.
Even native Oregonians are looking for this! Simply stated, Oregon is a cloudy state. Even the "sunny" areas in Southern and Central/Eastern Oregon are cloudy and grey in the winter compared to other areas of the US.

That said, Ashland and La Grande are both college towns in the sunnier areas of the state. Bend is another choice--a larger city, but I wouldn't consider it a college town (even though it has an extension of OSU there). None of these cities will come anywhere close to the climate you would get in CA though.

I knew someone who moved to OR from Toronto, thinking he and his wife would be escaping harsh winters. He lasted 2 winters and decided he'd rather have the sun and oppressive cold of Toronto over the (relative) warmth and oppressive clouds of OR.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 AM

3,023 posts, read 4,990,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Even native Oregonians are looking for this! Simply stated, Oregon is a cloudy state. Even the "sunny" areas in Southern and Central/Eastern Oregon are cloudy and grey in the winter compared to other areas of the US.

That said, Ashland and La Grande are both college towns in the sunnier areas of the state. Bend is another choice--a larger city, but I wouldn't consider it a college town (even though it has an extension of OSU there). None of these cities will come anywhere close to the climate you would get in CA though.

I knew someone who moved to OR from Toronto, thinking he and his wife would be escaping harsh winters. He lasted 2 winters and decided he'd rather have the sun and oppressive cold of Toronto over the (relative) warmth and oppressive clouds of OR.
I'd have to agree here. Bend probably wouldn't be a good choice for you either since we definitely have quite a few days where the temperatures can drop below freezing. Summers are absolutely phenomenal in the PNW, but other than that, the sun only comes out as occasional "sun breaks," a term this Colorado native never heard of before moving here! True, we do get more sunshine in Bend that the west side of the Cascades, but even then, temperatures are cool and winters can be pretty long.

From what you're describing, I'd recommend either California, Arizona or possibly New Mexico. You'd have to deal with extreme heat in the latter two though. Really coastal California may be your best bet if you can afford it. You really can't get California weather without living in California (well, maybe Mexico?!?).

Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM

714 posts, read 1,710,381 times
I'd recommend Tempe, AZ. It's a college town, sunny and moderate temps 8-9 months out of the year.

(Western Oregon is not sunny and Eastern Oregon is not moderate. You need to choose a different state.)

Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM

758 posts, read 1,384,784 times
I guess my first question is, do you need to have a job, and if so, doing what?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,120,130 times
Quote:
Hello Oregon posters. I'm looking for recommendations on cities to check out. We're seeking moderate temperatures (not too hot / not too cold) and plenty of sun. I like four seasons, but I'm tired of the bitter winters in Wisconsin and could be happy without ever dipping below 30 degrees again. We don't like really humid weather either. Ideally, I'd love to find California weather without CA prices and politics. I've heard southern OR is beautiful (well, all of OR is beautiful, but weather-wise this is supposed to be pretty nice?), so I'm wondering if there are areas to research further. We'd love a college-town, and of course, someplace with decent cost-of-living. Is it possible to find all of this together? I welcome any and all advice! Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Probably the Grants Pass YMCA Jacuzzi Pool area,

Here is a LIVE WebCam of the Rogue River.
Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue River Web cam

Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Bummer - so even the areas close to the CA border are cloudy? Does it rain a lot or is it just a cloud cover that hangs there? What about the Medford area? I had a past co-worker who swore she would retire there because the weather was so wonderful.

I guess there's give-and-take, but the question is whether we would end up like the couple from Toronto and miss the sunshine enough to stomach the cold...

Is it a humid or a dry climate? Someone on another board had said that it's the humidity that makes the cold so bone-chilling in Wisconsin. Any thoughts on that?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
I guess my first question is, do you need to have a job, and if so, doing what?
I can telecommute, so not a huge deal for me. My husband works in the non-profit sector, and he would look for a new job. Hospital or college foundation, most likely. We'd like to narrow in on a part of the country first. But great question!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM

4,247 posts, read 8,300,764 times
Medford/Ashland can be below freeing in the winter and above 100 in the summer (those are not averages, though). From my point of view (living on the dry side), it's humid in the summer there. The spouse, who grew up in Florida, laughs at me when I call it humid.

There really isn't anywhere in Oregon that can be called "sunny" - there are just parts that are sunnier than others. Where I live we have about 220 days of sun (partly sunny or better, not "30 seconds of sun counts as a sunny day") and that's about the sunniest it gets in the state. We have a cold and snowy winter here, though, and the recession has taken a struggling town and smacked it around hard.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,952,840 times
Quote:
Bummer - so even the areas close to the CA border are cloudy? Does it rain a lot or is it just a cloud cover that hangs there? What about the Medford area? I had a past co-worker who swore she would retire there because the weather was so wonderful.

I guess there's give-and-take, but the question is whether we would end up like the couple from Toronto and miss the sunshine enough to stomach the cold...

Is it a humid or a dry climate? Someone on another board had said that it's the humidity that makes the cold so bone-chilling in Wisconsin. Any thoughts on that?
You know, even Northern California has pretty cloudy winters. It's not until you get to Central CA around the Bay Area/Sacramento before the winter climate really changes. And the Sacto/San Joaquin Valleys sometimes have winter fog.

Oregon winters are characterized by clouds and frequent rain. The rain may stop, but the clouds will linger. And generally the rain is steady--not cloudbursts but hours of steady rain that gets heavy and lightens up. Today is a good example--it hasn't rained today, but it's been consistently cloudy, with the occasional sunbreak (as Delta described).

Regarding the humid/dry question, it depends on the time of year. It's humid during the rainy season, but Western OR doesn't get the bone-chilling cold of WI so you might not feel it so much. Lately its been in the mid-40s and rainy, but I don't think it's uncomfortable. For the most part our summers have very low humidity--not Arizona dry, but generally maybe 30-40% relative humidity or drier, especially east of the Cascades. It can be humid right at the coast, but the coast is cool in the summer. To sum it up, people rarely complain about humidity in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon