Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,083 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are contemplating on moving to Oregon. I have visited the Eugene area once around 2 years ago and loved it. We are from Southern California and are sick of the high cost of living here, especially here in Santa Barbara. We have an online business, so we aren't too concerned about the high employment rate. Here are our likes/dislikes in finding a place to live:

Would like a house with a separate workshop or basement to setup our business.
Prefer to have acreage.
Must have high speed internet. What is the major cable provider in OR? Is Verizon FIOS available?
Prefer to live in the "country", but still be close to a major city(within 20 minutes).
Budget of around $1000 for rent.
Don't like snow/ice.
Close to a decent community college.

With these requirements, which area would you suggest we look into?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed View Post
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are contemplating on moving to Oregon. I have visited the Eugene area once around 2 years ago and loved it. We are from Southern California and are sick of the high cost of living here, especially here in Santa Barbara. We have an online business, so we aren't too concerned about the high employment rate. Here are our likes/dislikes in finding a place to live:

Prefer to have acreage.
Must have high speed internet. What is the major cable provider in OR? Is Verizon FIOS available?
Prefer to live in the "country", but still be close to a major city(within 20 minutes).
Don't like snow/ice.

Thanks in advance.
The first place you should look is the Verizon web site. Get a map of FIOS service areas. Then look there. I think Comcast is the major cable provider, but that doesn't mean they serve all areas. I hear some areas in Corvallis have 40 mbps available.

Acreage with FIOS or cable is going to be rare. Adding acreage that you can rent for $1000 will make it even tougher to find.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Within 20 minutes of a "major city" will be somewhat limiting...many people don't believe that Oregon even has one major city...

If that's a chief factor, you're going to be looking within a 20 minute radius of Eugene or the Portland metro area...

Medford, Ashland, K-Falls, and Bend would probably qualify as Oregon major cities...Bend would be out if you don't like snow and ice.

A couple of places that come to mind since you're been to Eugene and liked it---Cottage Grove, Junction City, Marcola...

Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Verizon sold its operations in Oregon (and other states) to a company called Frontier. We have FIOS, and the transition went pretty smoothly. Look at frontier.com for coverage areas in Oregon.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Acreage properties in they valley often have slow internet issues. I know several people around Salem that can only get dial-up. I totally agree that you will be limited by high speed internet on rural properties, and renting acreage for $1,000 a month? I just don't see that happening easily. Since high speed internet is a must for acreage property for you, that will determine where you look.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed View Post
Hello all,

Prefer to have acreage.
Don't like snow/ice.

Thanks in advance.
eugene or medford is probably your best bet. Bend is nice but not for anyone that doesn't do snow and ice and country living in your price range is an hour drive from down town portland.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
"Don't like snow/ice"

How are you with rain?
If you are OK with it, the Willamette Valley is a nice place. Rental housing is a bit more difficult to find than in most of CA as people tend to buy places (temporarily this is less true due to the housing crash).
Acreage is a bit hard to find; bandwidth can be too, though there are small local providers who do wireless internet. It took us ten years to get service where we live - too far from a switch for DSL, not facing the right direction for satellite, near a local wireless tower but too many trees.

If you consider Eugene a major enough city, then Medford would qualify, but nothing on the coast really would except maybe Coos Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon