Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:28 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am curious if you have had any heat waves yet? Ihave been watching the weather.com forecasts for Portland and a few more towns and it doesn't look too bad lately.

In Colorado Springs we have had some hots days reaching in to the md 90s. Also we took our son to the Denver Zoo for his birthday on June 30 and it was 101 degrees - definately too hot for the zoo.

- Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
I'm at the coast. We may have had one day where it got up to 70 degrees but that's all. Most of the summer has been in the 60's. I will say it has been gloomier than usual this summer.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 PM

Waterlily,

Wow, only one day in the 70s by mid July. That seems a bit odd to me and really perked my interest. So I did a lookup on weather.com and city-data to check annual average temperatures. The funny thing I found out about the Oregon Coast, I'll use Cannon Beach as an example, is that June and July are 'not' the warmest months on average. For June the average high is only 65 and July it is 68 degrees. Then things warm up a bit in August (69) and September (70).

Portland on the other hand experiences its warmest months in July (79) and August (79) which is more consistent with the rest of the country.

So I guess the folks on the coast look forward to August and September for more warm and sunny days. Has June and July been mostly cloudy this year on the coast? Or has it just been cooler with some sun popping out here and there?

Thanks,

Derek

Old 07-14-2007, 09:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Waterlily,
So I guess the folks on the coast look forward to August and September for more warm and sunny days. Has June and July been mostly cloudy this year on the coast? Or has it just been cooler with some sun popping out here and there?
October can be gorgeous on the Oregon coast, particularly the first half of the month.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
Yes more toward the fall season is best on the coast. We do look forward to it.
What I meant to say was that it seems there are more clouds this summer than usual. Sure there has been some sunny days but the last few have been gloomy. I don't remember having so many gloomy days during summer.

If it's going to rain I wish it would. I hope to see the sun again soon. The temperatures are probably about normal for here.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,837 times
It reached 104 just recently in Medford, Oregon.

I enjoyed getting down to the coast on one of the hot days. At 11am or so, 3/4 of the way to the coast, I watched my truck thermometer show a drop from about 85 degrees to 60 degrees in 15 minutes just prior to reaching the redwoods.

How I love the coastal weather.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 PM

mdvaden,

That is a great 'beat the heat' escape plan. Here in Colorado Springs we drive up into the Rocky Mountains to do the same thing. But I would love the option of being able to hit the coast when things get too hot inland.

Thanks for that perspective.

- Derek

Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 AM

240 posts, read 1,284,484 times
Here along the southern coast of Oregon, in Brookings, we had a brief hot spell that lasted for close to a week where the temperatures right along the coast got into the mid-80s and farther inland (a mile or so), up into the 90s. That was in mid-June, if I recall correctly (if I wasn't feeling lazy, I'd get up and check my daily journal for the exact dates). Since then, temperatures have hovered around the mid to high 60s and low 70s.

There have been more grey overcast days this year than last, or so it seems. Usually we'll get a day or two of foggy or overcast weather, and then the skies will clear and be sunny and cloudless for several days. This pattern of fog/sun repeats throughout the summer. Often, here along the coast, the days start with fog that dissipates by early or mid afternoon.

Indeed, the latter part of summer and early fall brings the warmest temperatures to the coast. Personally, I prefer temperatures in the 70s to the 80s but when it gets 'hot', that is, into the 80s and rarely the 90s (along the coast), I recall the many years I lived in Southern California and the constant high heat, and realize how wonderful this climate is and how fortunate I am to live here.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
It hit a hundred here in the Portland area for a day or two, spent a couple days in the 90s and now it's back in the 80s, where it belongs. Yesterday was also sticky humid, which is unusual, but then we had a big thunder/lightning storm the night before, which is also unusual.

You lose your "hot climate" acclimatization when you move to Portland and get used to temperate weather. I could have tolerated 100+ once, but not now. I'm fine up until about the mid-90s, and then I wilt. Unfortunately, after nearly 25 years here, I've never really developed a "35 degrees and raining with a 40 mph east wind" acclimation, which is why I shouldn't have moved into a heavy Gorge-wind influenced area.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Unfortunately, after nearly 25 years here, I've never really developed a "35 degrees and raining with a 40 mph east wind" acclimation, which is why I shouldn't have moved into a heavy Gorge-wind influenced area.
That's some of the nastiest weather in the world. I have been in Midwest blizzards that were warmer. When the rain has ice in it, and the wind is driving the ice water right into you, there is no way to stay warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon