U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM

33 posts, read 71,322 times

Advertisements

Hello -- I've been poking around the Corvallis threads and thought I would start one that was specifically focused on life there for families with young children.

If you have done this, or are doing it currently, what do you think? The town seems to rank quite high on the lists of Best Places to Raise a Family, etc., but I thought it would be good to have some input from real people.

So what are the biggest pros and cons to Corvallis in general, and for kids in particular? How does it compare to other places you have lived or visited? Specific comments about the schools, in your experience? Also, is it really rainrainrainrainrainrainrainrain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM

965 posts, read 1,648,697 times
America is rapidly graying and the biggest portion of the populace is now beyond child-rearing age. If there is a kid-friendly city anywhere in the state, it's Corvallis. The schools are well supported and high performing, with lots of extracurricular activities. There are bike paths everywhere. Boys and Girls Club and many other activities for kids. DaVinci Days and Fall Festival have lots for kids. The city is very safe. There are lots of parks. 82% of the residents of Corvallis have at least some college education, one of the highest rates in the western U.S.

Pros and cons will be different for different people. If you are an automobile addict, and don't walk or bike much, you won't enjoy many of the distinctive advantages of Corvallis. Some of the pros of Corvallis for me: location -- (lots of places to visit in all four directions, being off the I-5 corridor is also nice), college town, "gold" rating for bicycle friendliness, abundance of locally-grown fresh food, First Alternative Coop, good restaurants, lots of public open space and hiking. Cons: good jobs not easy to come by, lots of competition for housing, weather is typical Willamette Valley grunge for seven months of the year.

I'm sure you know that there is no rain from June to September. Summers are very mild and sunny. Fall, winter and spring have abundant rain. The main complaint isn't actually the rain, but the cloudiness -- more than 90% of the time that it's overcast, it's NOT raining.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,964,203 times
As a former resident whose kids were born at Good Samaritan Hospital, I'm in 100% agreement with Brenda's assessment. We only moved because of the employment situation, otherwise we would still be there.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM

9,263 posts, read 6,160,048 times
Fantastic town to raise a kid. One of the very best in the country, IMO.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,710,891 times
Good Choice, IF YOU HAVE A JOB.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM

49 posts, read 69,547 times
We have been in Corvallis for almost 3 years now and we love it better than any other place we have lived.
It is just a fantastic place to live, IMO, and, BTW, it does not rain all the time.
I had heard the same stuff about how it is cloudy and rainy all winter long bit that is really not totally true. There are a good number of sunny and mild winter days. In fact we're experiencing that right now in the middle of January!
Average annual rainfall is 45 inches which is not really all that much. It is just that it mostly rains lightly and intermittently so it is more spread out.
I am an avid bicyclist, one of the main reasons for moving here, and I bicycle year round with only a few days off when it is too cold and rainy for my tastes.
Realty check: I am retired so do not have to compete in the job market and we own our home. I hear rental housing is very tight right now.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 AM

48 posts, read 94,618 times
Default Corvallis is fantastic

I went to college there and loved it! Corvallis is a highly educated, beautiful, fun, progressive town. It is close to Newport on the coast, Salem and Eugene are around 35-40 miles away and is an easy drive to Portland. Corvallis takes pride in it's public schools and public library as well. Housing can be hard to find, but there's almost no true "bad" part of town. Locals will joke about the southern end of town, but it's fine. The weather is better than Portland (less ice storms), but it is gray too much of the time for me. That's mostly why I moved from there.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,456,939 times
Corvallis has possibly the best school system in the state. The university parents are highly educated and involved in their children's education. If you have reasonably bright kids, they will have their freshman year of college (paid for by the school district) out of the way by the time they graduate from high school. If you want to give your kids a leg up on life, it's the place to be.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 AM

33 posts, read 71,322 times
Thanks for all the comments -- keep 'em coming!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:53 AM

146 posts, read 278,178 times
Is there a "McMansion" attitude in Corvallis? Is there a lot of problem with what I would call "flash" ie showing off in Lexuses and BMWs? I'd really like to find somewhere with a great school system that is also down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon