U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 38,951 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've been researching this forum pretty intently and have read some discussion regarding allergies and pollen and air quality.

Both my husband and my son have reactive airways (another way of saying temporary asthma) when their systems are over-whelmed with pollen. It is usually bad here in March and April when everything is blooming AND the wind picks up and blows it all over the place.

I know that a lot of grass seed is grown near Corvallis but I'm wondering if it is a non-issue if there isn't very much wind?????

anyhow-we want to be sure to visit for a week during the peak allergy season so that we can determine if it is a deal-breaker for us or not.

Can you tell me when allergy season is at it's worst in the Corvallis area?

Is mold/mold spores an issue?

Anything you can share with me is highly appreciated!

thanks!
----lucia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,343,602 times
As an allergy sufferer, you know it all depends on what you are allergic to. I'm allergic to tree pollen, so my worst hay fever season is mid-February through March. I have friends who are allergic to grass pollen, and they seem to suffer the worst in mid-June. Yes, mold and spores are everywhere, but just like plant pollen, you have to ask which mold and which spores.

My wife has allergy induced asthma. She gets along fine with a dust gobbler running 24/7 in the bedroom and an occasional hit on an inhaler. She visits her allergist twice a year.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 PM

340 posts, read 926,084 times
I'm sure you can find info online but my family all have allergies and when it's bad,it's really bad.Willamette Valley can be considered one of the worst in the country at times.I'm sure the pharmacys are always busy.Also we are debating field burning right now which can be very annoying at times.So just beware and read up about it.It's something to sneeze about:]

Old 09-18-2007, 12:57 AM

26 posts, read 135,537 times
My opinion is don't go to the Corvallis area if you have allergies. I grew up there, developed allergies when i was 18 yrs old and was told by the allergy Dr that the Pacific Northwest is the worst place to be if you have allergies. he suggested the east side of the Mts. Less Pollen and mold spores. I was tested for 166 and came out 133 positive. I am now 44 and been almost allergy free for 10 or 12 years now, But the minute i go back to Salem Corvallis area i start in again, It does not matter what time of year it is. Oregon has some most spectacular spots to see. and can be a great place to raise a family, but it all depends on what everyone is allergic to, Allergy injections just might be your ticket. Although it takes a few years to go into full effect. Good luck!!! I'm not living there again. Lisa in Longview

Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 AM

4,224 posts, read 8,212,337 times
In Portland, for me, it's March - April - May - June. For the spouse it's November-March. I'm allergic to a bunch of plants and grasses, he's allergic to dust and mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon