Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 28,053 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to medford or k-falls I have a wife and one child that doesn't live with me. How hard is it to find work I'm a millwright and a good mechanic
Also how much is rent for about a 2 bedroom house. No apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenkathy View Post
I'm considering moving to medford or k-falls I have a wife and one child that doesn't live with me. How hard is it to find work I'm a millwright and a good mechanic
Those are two very hard hit areas for unemployment in a State that has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country.

OLMIS - Current Unemployment Rates

The bottom line is to secure employment before considering a move.

However maybe you can start your own shop.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Looks like there are 2 bedroom houses from about $600 to $1000 per month. Would have to check 'em out to find an acceptable house / best price.

Herald and News Classifieds

Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM

48 posts, read 188,517 times
Default Medford

K Falls is nice, but is more isolated, smaller and colder than Medford. Medford is the hub of Southern Oregon and far Northern California, so you'll find more opportunities there. Neither place is brimming with jobs, so keep that in
mind. In my opinion, there is much more to do in the Medford area because you have all the outdoor opportunities you'd find in K Falls, along with more shopping, civic and cultural activities.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Klamath Falls is sunnier but colder in winter, with a shorter growing season, but what crossed Medford off my list was the relatively humid summers and number of days above 100 degrees.

Not that I would currently recommend Klamath Falls at the moment (early in 2011), not until it's clearer that recovery in this town is possible or is going to happen at all. Right now we have no county sheriff services (we were told at a neighborhood watch meeting that unless it involved a body, we should use the web-based reporting and not even bother calling) and the closure of half the jail has driven crime up by more than 50%. The city still has a city police force, but the county virtually doesn't.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Klamath Falls is sunnier but colder in winter, with a shorter growing season, but what crossed Medford off my list was the relatively humid summers and number of days above 100 degrees.

Not that I would currently recommend Klamath Falls at the moment (early in 2011), not until it's clearer that recovery in this town is possible or is going to happen at all. Right now we have no county sheriff services (we were told at a neighborhood watch meeting that unless it involved a body, we should use the web-based reporting and not even bother calling) and the closure of half the jail has driven crime up by more than 50%. The city still has a city police force, but the county virtually doesn't.

Interesting to note that when a couple of fellows decided to take their truck swimming in Klamath Lake the other morning that neither the OSP or the Klamath sheriff's office had any officers on duty or on patrol.

Something has to give soon.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
In addition to wearing seat belts wear water wings?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 28,053 times
In the end I plan on buying cheap land and starting a business

Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
K-falls area probably has generally cheaper land than Medford, but there is usually a fair amount of variation even within a region and it depends how far you are willing to go out from town. The Keno area SW of K-falls sounds pretty good from what I've read. Passed through there briefly a pretty long time ago, but don't remember much directly.

PNW-type-gal, is the low to no county sheriff services a temporary political squabble / adjustment or is this a made political decision for the rest of the budget year and beyond unless something changes drastically to the economy / tax revenues? Is the impact mainly in the remote areas including yours up north or across the whole county?

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-04-2011 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
PNW-type-gal, is the no county sheriff services a temporary political squabble or is this a made political decision for the rest of the budget year or beyond unless something changes? Is it just in your area up north or across the whole county?
Budgetary issue in the entire county (except city limits, which is served by city police) with no resolution in sight. The sherrif runs the jail as well, and about half of it is now closed. If you read the local paper, they list the "police blotter" column. Pretty much every arrest that doesn't involve bodily harm (drugs, burglary, theft) is listed as "does not meet lodge criteria" and the person is released - hence burglary, theft and "failure to appear" are up over 50% within the last 6 months.

The Klamath County Museum is also close to closing for lack of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon