Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,340 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom relocating to the Albany/Corvallis area. I am moving from Atlanta. I have 6 children from 2 marriages, 3 are white and 3 are mixed as my last husband was African American. I am moving to be near my Father who lives in Albany. Yes, I have a job and I support myself. I am not coming to be a "drain" on the community. I say this up front because I see so many people on this forum commenting that you shouldn't move to Oregon if you don't have a job.

I have asked my father several times if race will be an issue, as I have read that Oregon is predominately white. He has told me that he has never noticed an issue with regards to race in Oregon. However, he lives a rather sheltered life, he is retired and doesn't get out much.

I have scoured this forum and have seen a few people mention that race might be an issue. I am prepared for the fact that my children will probably be in a predominately white school. However, I would hope that they wouldn't be judged by there slightly darker color.

I'm also wondering about the community in general. I am looking for a good safe place to raise my children. Will people there be looking down upon me if say, I am in the local grocery store as a single mom with 6 children, 3 of them being mixed? I'm used to the "My you have a lot of children" comments. It does bother me, but I've gotten used to it. I will get that comment wherever I live I'm sure. So, as you can see, I already face enough discrimination due to the sheer amount of children that I have. I don't need any more added on because of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
I don't think so, particularly in Portland but also in the college towns such as Corvallis. There are more people of many colors and cultures in those places, so the natives are more used to it.
Racism on the West Coast is generally more subtle. I think you will be just fine. I think your biggest concern will be can you handle the wintertime gray.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Honestly I think you will get more comments about being a single mother of 6 kids rather than racial comments. Albany is a smaller town and it tends to be a bit more conservative than Corvallis. I don't think you'd have issues in Corvallis. I have some mixed race friends there and they didn't have any issues there.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM

48 posts, read 188,504 times
Default Corvallis

Try and live in Corvallis. It's not only nicer than Albany, but is also much more accepting.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Corvallis would be much better than Albany for a single parent family.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
GHF

16 posts, read 43,742 times
I would recommend Corvallis for you. It is a much more diverse and inclusive town than any others around here. You will fit in and do fine there. It costs more, but you probably won't regret it. Their schools are good, for the most part.

If you do wind up in Albany, West Albany High is the best one and you'd want to be near it, especially North Albany in Benton County. But Corvallis might be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon