Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,831 times

Advertisements

Hi Oregonians!
My family is thinking about re-locating to your beautiful state and have a few questions. I know most of the same ones have already been asked and I have been reading, however I thought I'd start a thread of my own!

I think I have narrowed down my search to Medford/Ashland area because of the sun, schools, crime rate, etc., however making a move is, to say the least, very scary! We have kids from elementary through college age, and really all I want is a place which feels like "home". I am from Anchorage, Alaska and while I love my home state, the winters are just not for me, and the city has grown in a way that less than desirable. It is just too cold and dark, and I can't picture my 6 year old becoming a teenager here.

I don't mind winters, but need milder ones; I don't like extreme heat and humidity but am in desperate need for more sun and outdoor time! However, with that I am aware that there is probably more bugs - yuk! I am curious about how bad the bugs, critter, pests and wildlife are! We mainly have mosquitos, moose and bears...oh my! Others too, but those are the worst.

I really want a place that feels safe and where most people are happy and true friends can be made. I love the historical feel, where the atmosphere holds values that speak right to you. As cheesy as it may be, I am a Gilmore Girls fan and love that environment!!!

I know the economy is bad everywhere right now, but how do you guys feel about it there? My husband is a maintenance tech now, and as excellent as he is at it, he is getting older (50) and would like to look into something with less intensive labor. How's the HVAC or need for transmission repair, etc., he really is a true "jack of all trades". I am starting an internet business so I hope I'll be fine. My son-in-law works for Alaska/Horizon Airlines, so a short commute to something of the same would be nice, however he is also going to school to work on big machinary.

I know there's so much more to ask...even though it seems I went on and on...lol! But I truly do appreciate any and all info regarding your state - and please don't forget the critters and bugs!!!

Thank you so much,
Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 12,490 times
Well I no longer live in So Oregon I can honestly say after moving to SE Missouri I would take Oregon any day over this place when it comes to bugs and critters. We have chiggers, fleas, ticks, (normal sized and seed ticks), copper head snakes, cotton mouth snakes, katydids, mosquitos, tarantulas, recluse spiders, wolf spiders, black widow spiders.
ICK ICK ICK!!!!

In Oregon, we lived in Grants Pass. My dogs never had a flea problem and never ever had a tick on them. I lost one of my labs here due to heartworm. Didnt worry about that back there either.

So. Oregon is a beautiful place. The area you have chosen is awesome. We are even talking about moving back, after being here only 4.5 years.

Good luck to ya!!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
We don't have moose in the wild west of the Cascades, at least none that I have seen.

We do have black bear who from time to time interface with humans. Call Fish & Wildlife and they will move the bear to a better neighborhood (for them). Bear do get lost in the spring. Humans have been encroaching in their territories, not visa versa. Some years ago a bear evidently walked from the Coast Range along the ridge of forest south of the Columbia River until it came to W. Burnside street in Portland. The joke among the locals is that it wanted to go to lunch at Henry Thiele's. Shortly thereafter a cartoon appeared in the New Yorker to similar effect. If your home doesn't back up to forested land you are unlikely to see a bear in your lifetime.

Mosquitoes are another matter. They aren't a major issue but some people (like me) they view as prime target. Avoid areas with stagnant water particularly if wind sheltered. Most counties have a 'vector control' office. Seek them out to see if there are neighborhoods to avoid. Along this same line, if mosquitoes bother you do not go to Alaska in the spring. There they refer to them as the state bird.

The 'pest' we do have are raccoon and possum, their only predators are cars. Don't leave your pet's food outside.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks for your quick responses, I sure appreciate it! How are the spiders and other wildlife there? Years ago here it was rare for those in the city to see moose or bears, but now the moose are a way of life, and I saw a bear in front of my house for the first time earlier this winter! I think we now have recluse or hobo spiders, but I haven't seen them either, but can sure have other, non-poisenous, spiders. I'm not a huge big fan of bugs even though they are a part of our natural world. I just want to be able to comfortably let the kids play outside, and only having an occasional scare I've lived with lot's of bees and wasps (well, I guess "lots" may be an understatement for some elsewhere). Raccoon's and possums, like you said, can be made less of a nuisance. It's better than coming face to face with an animal that can trample you to... I know there's things anywhere to get used to, but I'm very interested in the daily experience of life. And how about the jobs I mentioned, or the need for or opportunity to make them work. I sure appreciate cool people like you guys answering to a stranger, and any feedback is needed and appreciated...I'm trying to talk my husband into a "road trip" around the area, but the thought of moving is scary to him, so anything I hear to pass along, (such as less snakes or spiders in the attic or underneath the house, financial security and cost of living as well), to excite him at least enough to take the trip is awesome! Thank you both, and to hopefully many more responses to come!!! I'm ready!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 PM

We have spiders but none to be concerned about. Spiders can be your friend in the garden.

There are rattle snakes on the east side of the Cascade Mountains but human encounters are very rare.

Don't get all wound up about risks from critters, make sure your kids stay well back from the surf at the beach unless it is a mild day, insist that they buckle up in the car, wear helmets when bicycling or skiing, look both ways when crossing the street. With that guidance they will grow up to be obnoxious teens, finish school, get a job (or start a business), move out to start their own families. Then you can sit back and enjoy your grandchildren.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM

48 posts, read 188,461 times
Default Bugs

I live in Medford, and the things to look out for are black widows, brown recluse (sp?) spiders, rattlesnakes and scorpions. Basically any place that has tons of dry shade (your woodpile, under materials stacked in your yard, etc) have the potential of having one of these charming creatures.

We have ticks too, and some minor bear and cougar issues. Really though, compared to most places in the country, we're pretty darn safe!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Another reason for good house (or yard) keeping.

Don't stack wood next to your home for another reason: carpenter ants. They don't consume wood like termites but they do make their home in it and can be expensive to treat if they try to make your home theirs.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 PM

So, it seems that it is really no more than here, just different. We have to bundle up all year and fear walking down the street when it's momma and baby moose time! I don't mind the occasional encounter that comes and goes, I just don't want it to be a part of daily life, if you know what I mean! But you guys are right, pre-planning and preventative maintenance can help a bunch. I just want my little one and grandson to be able to be outside in the weather, in the grass barefoot and as carefree as possible! My husband is from Georgia where he grew up with more, so he loves Alaska for that reason alone, and I am a "fraidy cat" when it comes to bugs. But as I'm weighing out the pros and cons, Oregon's winning so far! You guys rock for responding! Cougars, wow...but they aren't out to get you, so to speak, I'm hopefully sure.....

Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricelessTreasures View Post
I don't like extreme heat
What's "extreme" in your book? The Rogue Valley isn't the best place in the state for heat sissies -- it's one of the worst. If you don't want to see temperatures in the low 100's on a regular basis in summer, the Rogue Valley isn't the part of the PNW you should be looking at. Yes, it's a dry heat, but it does get hot.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 AM

I'm ok with that, especially without the humidity. By extreme I mean weather such as California or Florida where it's the norm. I love all four seasons, but mainly can't stand the long, dark winters. We need the summer just to re-coupe, and even though it's rare, last year we only had two weeks total of sunshine. So, a couple of months of high temps and a couple of months of lower temps are ok, and I love the idea of truly having the experience of all seasons. One of the main reasons I'm looking there is because of the amount of sunshine in general compared to other places, and it overall seems to have what I'm looking for. I just want to make sure...I think the entire state is beautiful, as is mine, but even though I really like the Portland and surrounding areas (we visited there last year) the overcast is a little too dreary, and here the winters are way to long for me. I love this way of communication - I have done quite a bit of research, but there's nothing greater than hearing from the people who actually live there...I'm trying to convince my husband to take another trip so we can see for ourselves, but he's on the leary side of the whole "moving" idea. It is scary, but so many things worthwhile are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon