U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 PM

45 posts, read 47,999 times
StealthRabbit's advice is good for anyone who is feeling depressed for any reason. I would keep that in mind during and after your move to Salem.

If taking meds isn't working you should re-evaluate whether or not you should take them, they could be putting your liver through the works without providing any benefit to make that worth it.

My biggest advice would be to get outdoors, even on cloudy and rainy days (get good rain gear). You'll still get more exposure to the sun under the clouds than under your roof. The worse thing to do is to shut yourself inside on all the cloudy/rainy days because then your home will feel like a prison most of the time.

If nothing else works then you need to seriously consider what it would take to move to a sunnier climate because it just doesn't make sense to go through life with treatment-resistant SAD in this type of climate. We're lucky to live in a nation with many varied climates.

Last edited by Oregonian88; 06-03-2010 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Edited for spelling and style errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 817 times
Do NOT move to Western Oregon if you suffer from S.A.D. !!!! PERIOD !! You will experience depression worse than you could ever imagine!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 5,063 times
Larry is right. Light and drugs astern, you should reconsider the rainy part of Oregon. I am originally from the sunniest of places on the East Coast, and absolutely love the weather patterns here (as I blow the dust off our NWS alert radio).

It is concerning, however, the large portion of the population that suffers from depression in the greater Salem area, and more so the chronic suicidality.

Bringing coal to Newcastle, or in your case, SAD to the Wilamette Valley is asking for trouble. I would reconsider your move.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

758 posts, read 1,271,571 times
Well - it took me 15 years to get completely used to Oregon winters. I now accept that it's part of Oregon and it will pass in time. I deal with it by being outside. I walk at lunch, hike in the woods, go fishing, sit by the fire and read. I think about/try to do things that are unique to winter - for example, you can see more in the forests because the deciduous trees (mostly alder and maple) have lost their leaves.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 7,910,150 times
I love the rain. Our forests need the water to keep green & to help prevent fires.
Our waterways need the water for irrigation & to induce the spawning of our fish species.

Sometimes my ears get a bit cold so i just bought a full face ski mask & an army green hat which has the warm ear cover .

hohohohohoho

Have a Great Day...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM

378 posts, read 900,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I love the rain. Our forests need the water to keep green & to help prevent fires.
Our waterways need the water for irrigation & to induce the spawning of our fish species.

Sometimes my ears get a bit cold so i just bought a full face ski mask & an army green hat which has the warm ear cover .

hohohohohoho

Have a Great Day...
You are great!!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,128 times
Default Vit. D

Get your Vitamin D levels drawn in the fall when you start to suffer from SADS.

My husband and mother both were SADS sufferers.

Correcting their low D levels did much to improve their situations.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 701,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I'm guessing that you are a recent transplant to Oregon and have lived here less than two rainy seasons.

Let's talk in a few years when the novelty wears off and long cold rainy days become just long cold rainy days without all the drama.
Heh, just remembered this post. I'm right in the middle of my second Oregon winter and I'm loving it just as much as the first. Nice, gentle gray days.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,708,800 times
I was born in McMinnville and suffered from SAD my whole life. It made my teen and young adult years a living hell. Nobody had ever heard of it. I dropped out of college and got a job working construction. All I knew was that I felt better with lots of outdoor exercise.

About the time they invented Prozac (1987) I started to get a handle on the problem. I even tried Lexapro for a while, but it is highly addictive and I don't need antidepressants in the summer. For the last few years I have been getting along fine with St. John's Wort and half hour UV-B treatments three times a week. As I have gotten older, I have also gotten better at monitoring my mental state, and know when I need to get more fresh air and exercise.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM

2,370 posts, read 1,953,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyriser62 View Post
Get your Vitamin D levels drawn in the fall when you start to suffer from SADS.
My husband and mother both were SADS sufferers.
Correcting their low D levels did much to improve their situations.
Ditto this.
Next time you go to the DR get a blood workup.
If you live in the gloomy part of Oregon, try vitamin D.
It helps. A lot. It's cheap and it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon