U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 AM

824 posts, read 1,176,661 times

Advertisements

I lived in LaGrande In the early eighties, Ive been through it and stopped in quite a few times over the years. It hasn't really grown much over the years which is probably a plus. I remember snow in June once I always liked Baker City a little better and may well look into retiring there myself. Another thought in that general area might be Enterprise or Joseph. I loved both when I visited a couple years ago. Scenic quiet, and peaceful are words that come to mind when I visit that side of Oregon.

Squidlo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,364,428 times
I was just through there and found it very charming, friendly and clean. Stayed over at a cute little motel. Definitely would think about living there if I was going to be in Oregon as a retiree! Also went through Pendleton and liked that city very much. Anyone know about it?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 PM

43 posts, read 80,882 times
I worked in Portland and once when I was talking about how different the far Eastern side of Oregon felt from the Willamette Valley a gay guy who worked with me told me that Eastern Oregon is Mormon country, so bear that in mind.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,364,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
I worked in Portland and once when I was talking about how different the far Eastern side of Oregon felt from the Willamette Valley a gay guy who worked with me told me that Eastern Oregon is Mormon country, so bear that in mind.
That would only be an asset. Thought it was Mennonite country though!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:38 PM

2,021 posts, read 2,971,852 times
Quote:
It's no wonder I can't find me a wife. The Mormon men are taking 'em all.

Last edited by karlsch; 08-23-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM

6,477 posts, read 6,162,335 times
Quote:
Hadn't heard about that, but it is extremely religious, some times to the point of being scary. There is a reason the Rajneesh were able to stick around for so long, and I've recently heard rumors of a similar cult looking to start business near there. (I'd love more info on that if anybody finds anything.)

One of my ex's was from Union which is just down the road from La Grande. I enjoyed the look of the town, but I personally couldn't live there for long. Too small, too far from anything, too hot in the summer, too cold and snowy in the winter.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 PM

2,021 posts, read 2,971,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Hadn't heard about that, but it is extremely religious, some times to the point of being scary.
Only in your imagination.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:44 PM

26 posts, read 92,535 times
While there are a lot of churches in La Grande (and surrounding Union county) and the Mormon church is certainly one of the largest congregations, most people have a pretty tolerant attitude. It's not at all "scary" - I'm not sure what you even mean by that.

Being that La Grande is a fairly isolated community, people have to rely on one another. What I appreciate about the town is that people don't really focus on one's economic status. I'm sure there are some who do but we just ignore those types ;-)

Haven't heard anything about a cult setting up shop. (By the way - the Rajneesh Ranch was located in Central, OR - more than 200 miles from La Grande - in a more barren and isolated area of the state)

Last edited by oldhippie; 05-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: add another comment

Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM

31 posts, read 61,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da nephew View Post
Boise only an hour away? How fast do you drive? It is closer to 2 hours. and about the same for the Tri-Cities. Lovely town -
Indeed...Boise is about 170 miles from La Grande. To get there in an hour you'd have to be driving...well, 170 m.p.h.

In certain parts of Montana you might get away with that for an hour, but not in NE Oregon, where the speed limit is 65.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
I am a single mother my daughter is 8. I have been trying to do as much research as I can. I will be attending EUO. I will also be needing a rental and a job. I am really hoping to move this summer. Can anyone give me any advise or direction? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon