U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:46 PM

10,851 posts, read 18,116,894 times
Close to the Ocean is your biggest detractor. You may want to consider Banks, which is wonderful small town west of Portland, or Forest Grove. They get you closer to the Ocean.

The Willamette Valley is really great for families. Salem has many small towns surrounding it, if you want a more rural feel, Silverton is charming, and Sublimity has an excellent K-8 school. North Albany is wonderful too, Dave Patsch on this site could probably chime in on that as well.

Slow paced depends on your definition. I have been in Oregon for 16 years now, and coming from Chicago, Portland was sloooow. I've become accustomed to Oregon now, and I would still consider most of it slow, although Portland has some good energy now.

So I would look at Banks, Forest Grove, Salem, Keizer, Silverton, Albany (North is really nice), maybe Corvallis. There are some wonderful towns down south as well. Since you are talking family oriented here is the School Report Card Page so you can compare communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM

8 posts, read 28,327 times
Hi My parents are living in Florence, a mile from the ocean they walk on the beach every day. They are trying to talk me into moving up there but I still need info on the school for my son and jobs and rentals. Any good info? Good luch in your search

Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,609 times
My husband and I are moving to Salem, OR. Can anyone tell me about Salem? Thank you

Old 01-28-2010, 04:02 PM

10,851 posts, read 18,116,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingNVegas View Post
My husband and I are moving to Salem, OR. Can anyone tell me about Salem? Thank you
What do you want to know? Mamh (on this forum) and I both live here.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,099 times
I live in Wilsonville, Oregon and have been for a little over a year and can say that Wilsonville is an excellent city to live in only because of the low crime rate. But, being that Wisonville is a small city (only has two exits on Interstate 5), their isen't really anything to do in Wilsonville except for Bullwinkle's Family Fun Center and Fry's Electronics. What I usually do for entertainment throught my day is I ride WES (a commuter train that runs between Wilsonville, Oregon and Beaverton, Oregon) and either travel to Tualatin, Oregon, Tigard, Oregon. Beaverton, Oregon, Hillsboro, Oregon (via MAX Light Rail that runs from Hillsboro, Oregon to Gresham, Oregon), and Portland, Oregon (via MAX Light Rail). I go to Bridgeport Village in Tualatin, Oregon to watch IMAX, IMAX 3D, Real D 3D and 2D movies at a Regal Cinemas theatre. I go to Tigard, Oregon when going to Washington Square Mall and shop at their stores and eat at their food court. Portland, Oregon has a lot of things to do and is and excellent place to bring your child(ren) such as the Pittoct Mansion, Chinese Garden, Chinatown, Rose Garde, Rose Garden (Arena) (where the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA play), Memorial Colesium (where the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL play), PGE Park (where the Portland Beavers of minor league baseball plays now but will be taken over by the Portland Timbers of the MLS in 2011), Pioneer Place (a shopping mall simular to Washington Square), Lloyd Center (a shopping mall simular to Washington Square), Clackamas Town Center (a shopping mall simular to Washington Square), Jantzen Beach (a shopping mall simular to Washington Square), Oregon Zoo, Children's Museum, Portland Art Museun, OMSI, etc.

The cost of living in Wilsonville, Oregon is high. If you are planning to rent an apartmnet, plain on paying right around $1,000 for rent for a really nice apartment. I live in an apartment in Wilsonville and where I live, I pay $481/month rent. As far as I know, the apartment complex I live in is the only apartment complex in Wilsonville where you can pay right around $500, which is great considering what my income is for the month. If you are plaining on buying a house, except to pay between $250,000 and $350,000 or more.

Wilsonville, Oregon is about one hour east of the Oregon Coast. To get there, just take Wilsonville Rd to Highway 219 to Highway 99W to Highway 18 to Highway 101. Highway 101 runs north and south paraell to the Oregon Coast.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 12,099 times
I used to live in Salem, Oregon for about a year and a lot of the people who live in Salem, Oregon are either retired or working. If you are looking to have a fun time in Salem, Oregon, don't. There isen't really anything to do in Salem, Oregon. You could go to Salem Center Mall or Lancaster Mall, but those malls are so small, going to them once would be exciting but that is it. After about a year, I wanted to move out. The only reason I go back to Salem, Oregon is to visit my Aunt and Uncle, Grandfater and Grandmother, cousin and other cousin (with husband and three kids). Just about every day you hear about someone who has robbed a bank, grocery store, etc. or you hear about a shooting. If you drive about a half and hour to an hour north of Salem, Oregon, you will find cities in the Portland, Oregon Metro Area that are a lot better to live in.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,846 times
Do not move to salem so boring and depressing town and there is so many people here it is crazy and trashy not so many good nice neighbor hoods here i have been here for about 2 years and hate it not somewhere i want my son to grow up i live in independence oregon about 10 miles from salem its not so bad here very cute towns but again nothing to do here either i want to move back to Klamath falls oregon now there is a place to live love it there!!!!! grew up there from 8 years -17 years and my heart wants to go back there is alot to do there lakes rivers camping outdoor activites rec center skateland movie theater go karts train rides for kids and adult there is so much there i love it i plan to go back in about a year or so i just feel ALive there then i do hear in salem So do not move to salem unless you want to be depressed and bored.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,956 times
I live in Los Angelos and am looking for a change. I know this is probably impossible, but is there any city with warmer winters, like those in la? Also, is there snow?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,564 times
hi, any info would help dearly, me and my husband want to move to oregon we have 2 young children ages 5 and under, we are from orange county california so im sure you understand the life style we are use to... i love the amenities of having pretty much anything you want out here but the price of living is ridiculous and i feel if we don't leave now then we will never be able to give our children the life we want them to have... theres tons of violence as well but thats a given here in the areas where every city is connected to the next...... we are looking for something a bit slower more nature we love camping and fishing and all sorts of outdoor activities but i do want to stay within a 2 or less hour range of a big city like portland or something that way i can choose to do some city life stuff also being within 3 or less hours from the beach would be cool too. we are a younger couple early 30's so a town with a hip structure would be cool like music art a cute down town .... and most of all good schools education is very important... we dont have jobs lined up yet either so not a town thats soo small and away from everything that a job within means would be impossible..... i know it sounds like a lot but ive visited oregon a dozen times and love the beauty but really have no idea the actual living details so any info what so ever will help thanks soooo much ,

Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,564 times
Default california to oregon

hi, any info would help dearly, me and my husband want to move to oregon we have 2 young children ages 5 and under, we are from orange county california so im sure you understand the life style we are use to... i love the amenities of having pretty much anything you want out here but the price of living is ridiculous and i feel if we don't leave now then we will never be able to give our children the life we want them to have... theres tons of violence as well but thats a given here in the areas where every city is connected to the next...... we are looking for something a bit slower more nature we love camping and fishing and all sorts of outdoor activities but i do want to stay within a 2 or less hour range of a big city like portland or something that way i can choose to do some city life stuff also being within 3 or less hours from the beach would be cool too. we are a younger couple early 30's so a town with a hip structure would be cool like music art a cute down town .... and most of all good schools education is very important... we dont have jobs lined up yet either so not a town thats soo small and away from everything that a job within means would be impossible..... i know it sounds like a lot but ive visited oregon a dozen times and love the beauty but really have no idea the actual living details so any info what so ever will help thanks soooo much ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon