Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

So? Someone's thinking about moving to the West Coast and is asking the same questions about the different states.

This is a relocation forum, after all.

To the OP...look up a site called Coolworks.com and look around there for work. These are mostly seasonal jobs at resorts etc. that usually come with room and board. Much better way to go about this than being homeless and working at McD's. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So? Someone's thinking about moving to the West Coast and is asking the same questions about the different states.

This is a relocation forum, after all.

To the OP...look up a site called Coolworks.com and look around there for work. These are mostly seasonal jobs at resorts etc. that usually come with room and board. Much better way to go about this than being homeless and working at McD's. Good luck to you.
I agree. I think the OP is just casting a wide net.

To the OP: you mentioned you would work at McDonald's or other like places just to have a job. This is another reason I would discourage you from coming to Oregon. Jobs like fast food or what may be considered "lower level" are difficult to come by because there is so much competition for them.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM

206 posts, read 466,315 times
Is it possible that you could re-enroll at the last college you attended and finish your degree there? If not, even if it means waiting until the fall, transferring to a new school and living at the dorms is a safe way to become established in a new area when you have no resources. You could also look into WWOOF (willing workers on organic farms--i.e. you volunteer for educational work four hours a day five-six days a week on an organic farm for room and board, possibly a bit of money, lots of locations on the west coast...) if you are interested. Moving somewhere new without a job, even if you have money and a temporary place to stay can be a huge gamble; in the recession, there is a higher failure rate than usual.

I would suggest finding someone to talk with about what it is in your past that is giving you problems, so that it doesn't turn up again to ruin your life in the future. Maybe you could even talk about it with people anonymously online, anything to make you feel better. Make whatever you can of the time you'll be spending in NC, and then try to leave with a reasonably stable outcome.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

24 posts, read 63,362 times
@Drakevonz

I think you should move where you feel comfortable, like the environment, get good vibes from the people and the general surroundings. You'll be able to pull yourself up bit by bit anywhere if you're willing to try.

Good luck to you!
Don't sign up for the Military just because you need a job. That's how the elite get the poor to do their dirty work ..... then they call them hero's while they have to fight for services when they return.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Every young man should do at least two years of military service.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM

206 posts, read 466,315 times
How about just the old men (and women) that decide to plunge the country into endless war do at least twenty years of military service? I don't think PTSD would mix well with the emotional difficulties that Drake is already experiencing. There are plenty of unemployed veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars that are in a worse situation than he is in right now.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
That my dear is the nature of war.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times

True. Back in the Civil War, $300 would get you out of the draft.

The old men and women who plunge the country into war should be issued weapons, taught how to use them, and sent to the front lines.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post

The old men and women who plunge the country into war should be issued weapons, taught how to use them, and sent to the front lines.
Not true - old men/women would make lousy soldiers. If we fostered lousy solders/military, we would then be living in a fascist or communist country.

A strong military keeps more peace than a weak one.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post

Take a look at the Vietnam Memorial Wall...the names that say the most about that war are the names that aren't on it. The names of the sons and the grandsons of those in Congress and the Senate who voted to perpetuate the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: