Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 16,226 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably OR) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have a vehicle
- I won't have NO place to stay
- I don't know anyone there

I'm well aware that I will have a VERY hard life if I were to make this type of move, but I'm optimistic and determined to make it. A little background about me..I went off to college in August 2005, to a school that I couldn't afford and I ended up being left with a balance after two years (May 2007). I was out of school for a 1.5 years because of the balance, in which I finally was able to pay off and transfer to another school in January 2009. All was fine until August 2009, when some history about me got out and caused be to totally shutdown and as a result I stopped going to class. I was able to transfer to another school in January 2010 after the most hellish 4 months of my life. I thought everything was fine, but it wasn't..I was still suffering from the what happened to me at my last school and as a result I didn't go to class at my new school. I decided I couldn't take it anymore and came back home in April 2010--a month before the semester was over. As a result, I was left with a balance for the semester of money I owed due to the fact that I didn't go to class. I finally got a job in a October 2010 and was doing well, saving money for school. Then in early December 2010, I stupidly quit my job because I thought some co-workers knew of my "past" and I was afraid rumor was going to spread all over again and mentally I couldn't take that so I ran like I do best. I ended up moving to NYC from December 2010-January 2011 with the money I saved. I had never been there before and knew no one, had no job or no place to stay. I ended up living in shelters until my safety was being threatened so I moved back into a hostel until I went broke and came back home in January 2011. So I've allowed myself to completely set my life back for 18 months because of something stupid. Instead of graduating from college in December 2010.

OK...sorry to totally go off like I did, but I felt like I needed to fill you guys in on some background info. The main reason I want to leave is because as long as I stay home, I'm going to be lazy and not amount to anything. I feel that if I was put into a situation where I was forced to push so that I could survive, then I'd flourish.

What I want to accomplish in 2011 is..getting a job, my own place, paying off school debt, re-enrolling in school and finally enjoying life instead of running.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,460,366 times
Don't move here..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,194,371 times
No. I don't think you should do it.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
No. With no job, no education, no transportation, no financial resources, and no one to lean on, you'll quickly find yourself living on the streets with all the other young people who flock to Oregon because they think it's the one place in the country where you can be an unambitious, unemployed failure and still be okay.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,314,680 times
Because you are lacking in the things you have mentioned, you need to find a place where you would have a better chance to improve yourself. Portland is not an easy place to start if you have nothing. Why make it more difficult for yourself? Do some research and find a city where your opportunites will be better.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,252,600 times
Smells like Troll to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,569,721 times
You should pick a city with mild winter weather so sleeping on the street is not so uncomfortable. Take a look at El Paso, Texas. You can learn a second language while picking up extra cash in the drug industry.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Smells like Troll to me.
Yes it does, but on the off chance that it's not a troll, we should discourage him from coming. We already have a big enough problem with perpetually unemployed leeches who wind up on the streets begging for money so they can go get their next fix.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,384,064 times
Perhaps you should look in to Military service? You'll get a paycheck, college assistance to finish up that college degree, and be taught skills that it sounds like you need.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,252,600 times
Interesting .....

Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Views: 171
Posted By Drakevonz
Guys I really really appreciate the advice. I...

Guys I really really appreciate the advice. I will work at McDonald's, just as long as I have SOME income coming in. I'm taking everything in baby steps after the huge leap from coast-to-coast. My...

Forum: Washington Yesterday, 06:56 PM Replies: 8
NC to WA?
Views: 79
Posted By Drakevonz
Thanks.

Thanks.

Forum: California Yesterday, 06:53 PM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
Thanks. I needed to hear all of this. BTW I...

Thanks. I needed to hear all of this. BTW I shouldn't have mentioned the actor bit--that's not why I'm moving to CA. And I'm not looking for a handout or sympathy from anyone, I'm going to make it...

Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
Guys I really really appreciate the advice. I...

Guys I really really appreciate the advice. I will work at McDonald's, just as long as I have SOME income coming in. I'm taking everything in baby steps after the huge leap from coast-to-coast. My...

Forum: Washington Yesterday, 06:56 PM Replies: 8
NC to WA?
Posted By Drakevonz
Thanks.

Thanks.

Forum: California Yesterday, 06:53 PM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
Thanks. I needed to hear all of this. BTW I...

Thanks. I needed to hear all of this. BTW I shouldn't have mentioned the actor bit--that's not why I'm moving to CA. And I'm not looking for a handout or sympathy from anyone, I'm going to make it...

Forum: Washington Yesterday, 04:32 PM Replies: 8
NC to WA?
Posted By Drakevonz
Hmm..thanks for the advice.

Forum: California Yesterday, 04:05 PM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
I'm not being a troll dude, this is my real...

I'm not being a troll dude, this is my real ****ing life!

Forum: Washington Yesterday, 03:48 PM Replies: 8
NC to WA?
Posted By Drakevonz
NC to WA?

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably WA) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have...

Forum: Oregon Yesterday, 03:47 PM Replies: 8
NC to Oregon?
Views: 84
Posted By Drakevonz
NC to Oregon?

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably OR) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have...

Forum: California Yesterday, 03:40 PM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
I'm not looking to go out to Cali so that I can...

I'm not looking to go out to Cali so that I can make it big, I just want to be settled and live comfortably--eventually. I know things will be tough at first, unless I get a big break...

Forum: California Yesterday, 05:09 AM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
From NC to CA..should I?

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably CA) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have...

Forum: Washington Yesterday, 04:32 PM Replies: 8
NC to WA?
Posted By Drakevonz

Forum: California Yesterday, 04:05 PM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
I'm not being a troll dude, this is my real...

I'm not being a troll dude, this is my real ****ing life!

Forum: Washington Yesterday, 03:48 PM Replies: 8
NC to WA?
Posted By Drakevonz
NC to WA?

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably WA) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have...

Forum: Oregon Yesterday, 03:47 PM Replies: 8
NC to Oregon?
Views: 84
Posted By Drakevonz
NC to Oregon?

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have...

Forum: California Yesterday, 03:40 PM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
I'm not looking to go out to Cali so that I can...

I'm not looking to go out to Cali so that I can make it big, I just want to be settled and live comfortably--eventually. I know things will be tough at first, unless I get a big break...

Forum: California Yesterday, 05:09 AM Replies: 18
From NC to CA..should I?
Posted By Drakevonz
From NC to CA..should I?

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably CA) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: