Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 36,524 times

Advertisements

My husband says that Newport feels isolated, like they're set off from the rest of Oregon. Does anyone else think this way? We might be moving to this area soon, and have our pick of Newport, Albany or Lebanon. He likes Newport and Albany the best, but thinks we might get lonely in Newport.

We currently live in Mesa, AZ and are moving to get out of the desert and the heat. Grants Pass and Medford are also on the list of possibilites, and we'll be visiting there next week.

I'm interested to hear what you think about any/all of these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
In coastal terms, Newport is not isolated at all. It's just a 45-55 minute drive to Corvallis. I live on the southern coast where I have a 2-hr. drive to get to even a moderate-sized city. Also, living on the foggy coast might be more sunlight privation than what you can handle. Even people from other parts of the Pacific Northwest have issues with the gloom on the coast. It's a nice place to visit on a hot day in the valley, but there's no real summer there.

Grants Pass and Medford will not necessarily get you out of the heat. Daily high temperatures over 100 are routine there during July and August. Temperatures over 110 have been known to occur. BUT...I came here from southern Arizona also, and I would say that southern Oregon's climate will probably seem more comfortable to someone from the SW because the humidity is lower (at least in summer). Also, summer overnight lows are in the 50's, and even on the hottest days in the 60's, so by Phoenix standards, it's really not very hot. Even on the hottest days, mornings and evenings tend to be quite nice. The Rogue Valley also has a more open feeling that may feel more "western" to you. Some areas of the Rogue Valley, like Table Rock, are reminiscent of the SW. Check out Jacksonville when you visit Medford. It's more or less the Jerome of Oregon.

Lebanon will probably feel as isolated as Newport and is quite small and lifeless. Albany is okay, but Corvallis is better by far and offers much more to do. It is also closer to the coast than Albany. Linn Co. in general is more blue collar and has never been able to build a stable economy after the collapse of the timber industry. Benton Co. has a better educated populace, a better economy and more public amenities.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
In coastal terms, Newport is not isolated at all. It's just a 45-55 minute drive to Corvallis. I live on the southern coast where I have a 2-hr. drive to get to even a moderate-sized city. Also, living on the foggy coast might be more sunlight privation than what you can handle. Even people from other parts of the Pacific Northwest have issues with the gloom on the coast. It's a nice place to visit on a hot day in the valley, but there's no real summer there.

Grants Pass and Medford will not necessarily get you out of the heat. Daily high temperatures over 100 are routine there during July and August. Temperatures over 110 have been known to occur. BUT...I came here from southern Arizona also, and I would say that southern Oregon's climate will probably seem more comfortable to someone from the SW because the humidity is lower (at least in summer). Also, summer overnight lows are in the 50's, and even on the hottest days in the 60's, so by Phoenix standards, it's really not very hot. Even on the hottest days, mornings and evenings tend to be quite nice. The Rogue Valley also has a more open feeling that may feel more "western" to you. Some areas of the Rogue Valley, like Table Rock, are reminiscent of the SW. Check out Jacksonville when you visit Medford. It's more or less the Jerome of Oregon.

Lebanon will probably feel as isolated as Newport and is quite small and lifeless. Albany is okay, but Corvallis is better by far and offers much more to do. It is also closer to the coast than Albany. Linn Co. in general is more blue collar and has never been able to build a stable economy after the collapse of the timber industry. Benton Co. has a better educated populace, a better economy and more public amenities.
+1

This is an excellent summary.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
+1

This is an excellent summary.

I Agree.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,144 times
I'd agree in very large part with Brenda's post - except that I'm a little more optimistic about Linn County than she is with regard to the economy. Albany has been growing (for the most part) - although there has been some recent struggle. Wah Chang, Pacific Cast, and some new tech oriented companies are still thriving...and there is still some growth going on (recently opened restaurants, the new Lowe's is moving forward, and a few other things as well)...signs point to a positive future as we ALL work through this financial challenge.

The schools in Albany are excellent and my children have thrived (my oldest just graduated in June from West Albany, and my youngest starts there next year). While Linn County (Albany specifically) is a little more conservative/blue collar/agri-centered than Benton County, I would NOT characterize any differences in "educational status" to anything other than the high density of academics in Benton County as a direct result of the location of Oregon State University in Corvallis.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
GHF

16 posts, read 43,737 times
Linn County has a high % of reg. sex offenders and meth production. It is mostly in the eastern and southern parts, but the stats are just not good. Jobs are scarce, too. We have lived in this area for a few years and have seen many businesses shut down.

If you choose Albany, try to get into the West Albany High district, it is better than South Albany and your resale will be better because of that, if you don't have kids. The medical care we have received in Albany is excellent. The hospital is wonderful. It's a clean town and seems to have low crime. North Albany is nice, it's in Benton County and there is a mix of new subdivisions and older homes on large lots, even acreage lots. It's friendly and would be a nice place to live.

Corvallis is a great place to live with lots to do and see. It's more expensive to buy there, but probably worth it.

The coast is very rainy most of the year. I was born and raised there and like the valley much more. It can get depressing after awhile to have it be grey and wet every day. Things tend to cost more there because of the cost of shipping off the main freeway system. Housing is high because of all the valley people who have second homes there. No jobs, either.

Southern OR is drier and can get hot in summer, cold in winter. It's nice there, though. Probably no jobs.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 21,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnyman View Post
My husband says that Newport feels isolated, like they're set off from the rest of Oregon. Does anyone else think this way? We might be moving to this area soon, and have our pick of Newport, Albany or Lebanon. He likes Newport and Albany the best, but thinks we might get lonely in Newport.

We currently live in Mesa, AZ and are moving to get out of the desert and the heat. Grants Pass and Medford are also on the list of possibilites, and we'll be visiting there next week.

I'm interested to hear what you think about any/all of these areas.
I am from the Albany/Lebanon area originally and I have been to Newport plenty of times. It is really not secluded or closed off at all. It is beautiful there, but never really gets that warm and being Oregon, rains a lot.

There are nice areas of Lebanon, but there is really not much in that town to do, and to find anything you need to drive to Albany, which has a little bit more to do. And I agree that it is far more isolated than newport is.

Albany is my hometown, I love it there, but I will say that you should find a house in either north or south Albany, they tend to be better neighborhoods. Anything in town can be iffy. Stay away from the mall or Santiam Hwy-while it is not crime-ridden or anything, its just not the best part of town. We lived way out in the country outside of West Albany, between W.Albany and corvallis and it is a great area out there.

I know someone mentioned corvallis but honestly, I dislike it there. Granted, it is a bigger town than Albany and there is more to do, but it is also a college town and you do not want to be there on a Beavers game day.

I actually also lived in South Salem for about a year and I liked all that salem had to offer, and South Salem is a really really great area, very low crime rates and houses are fairly reasonable.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
I have to agree with Brenda-By-The-Sea, especially concerning the Grants Pass-Medford area. My wife and I have a second home in Grants Pass and think it's a very nice area, particularly for someone who comes from a warmer, dryer climate.
Check it out. It may be just right for you.
minorbrew

Old 01-02-2011, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,245 times
Keep in mind the large amount of rainfall that one may experience in the Willamette Valley and coastal region. Besides this, the percentage of days without sunshine is pretty high, I believe it is about 130 or so days of sunshine in the Willamette Valley. In that sense, southern Oregon in the Rogue Valley may be more appealing. It has the same accessibility to the coast and the outdoors at your backdoor. The heat can be warmer in the summer, but the lower level of precipiation and relatively low humidity makes it pleasant. Just a thought, you might look for information from the visitor center or C of C from these towns, too.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
We lived in the NW, Seattle area for over 30 years; moved to NM and do not like it(very cold)too much snow etc.
Visited Corvallis last year and will BE MOVING BACK to the NW in 2011.
Love Corvallis, Newport etc.
Happy trails,
HW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon