U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 AM

415 posts, read 1,498,347 times

Advertisements

I recently had a chance to visit Eugene and Portland, and I was quite sad to leave and return to my "home" state.

It was definitely a culture shock, but in a very positive way. Whenever I asked someone for directions, instead of giving me a once-over, to check if I was a suspect, or not, they would do this:

a. give me a friendly smile, a genuine smile with smiling eyes. Enter my 'private zone' of personal space, as if I were a long lost friend. Give me directions. Wait patiently with a smile to see if I wanted more information.

The first time this happened, I literally stepped back to regain personal space.

When I went into a store, the girl cashier lit up with such a beautiful smile, I felt like I had just received a 15 minute massage, and I felt completely relaxed.

I also noticed the drivers drive at the speed limit, making me feel anxious, until I slowed down and realized it wasn't so bad driving 30 mph in a 30 mph zone.

Why are you Oregonians so friendly?! This is a serious question--I want to know!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 AM

11,042 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Let me guess: you are from the East Coast. In my travels I have found friendly people everywhere, but they are harder to find in large cities in the east. The most fun I ever had asking for directions was from the cook in a Chinese restaurant who didn't speak English. He knew where I needed to go, so came outside and made signs until I got the idea. I had a car full of people who watched this with amazement, and were then even more amazed that the guy's directions were right on.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM

13,740 posts, read 31,556,293 times
Gotta be East coast or Chicago area.

Oregon is stranger friendly because we have a laid back culture here. Honestly, people that come from larger cities struggle to slow down to the pace of Oregon but once you do, and you go back to visit the crazy pace, you wonder how you did that for so long.

It took me about a year coming from Chicago to learn to slow down in Oregon. When I moved out here 20 years ago I was getting out of my car and someone walked up to me to just had me a flyer for a fundraiser. I had a car jacking reflex and immediately got aggressive freaking the poor person out.

Oregon is just different.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 AM

893 posts, read 2,459,154 times
This smile how are you attitude that oregon also caught us by surprise, our home state of california use to be like that..Its nice and store clerks remember you too...
Now if the rain would turn to sunshine our smiles would all be bigger today , but thattssssss oregon..

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM

181 posts, read 380,057 times
I was just in Portland last week, and I was AMAZED by the number of drivers who stopped at intersections with no traffic signals or stop signs to let my boyfriend and I cross the street. This happened a handful of times. Crazy, rage-filled drivers really get on my nerves, so I'm looking forward to living in calm, pretty Oregon!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,862,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
I was just in Portland last week, and I was AMAZED by the number of drivers who stopped at intersections with no traffic signals or stop signs to let my boyfriend and I cross the street. This happened a handful of times. Crazy, rage-filled drivers really get on my nerves, so I'm looking forward to living in calm, pretty Oregon!

yeah, that is a nice gesture, but sometimes things would go quicker if people just took the initiative and went instead of all sitting around in a stalemate, waving each other to go.

people in oregon do seem friendly, maybe a little less so toward strangers in portland b/c it is a big city. but in general, yeah, they are. one of the many perks of living here.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,199,762 times
Once when I was in Ashland getting gas around dusk, I asked the gas station attendant if he knew where any good motels were.

He told me about the Super 8, told me to hold on, and came back with some coupons!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 AM

415 posts, read 1,498,347 times
I've returned to my home state, and it's almost unbearable. The people are way too loud, incredibly selfish, violently aggressive driving, and just unbearably primitive.

Also, I've been comparing the uv index and it's apparent that in every age group, Oregonians are healthier and younger looking.

People think it's normal to hate and stress. But now that I've met people who don't, I can see the very visible, and obvious effects on health.

I have to move and move soon. When I find a job in OR, that's it!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM

758 posts, read 2,032,962 times

Be nice, return the favor, and don't take advantage of it!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
It's the law they have to. It limits the former "open season" on pedestrians.

http://http://www.portlandonline.com/mayor/?a=248292&c=49521 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or