U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,395,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Conservative parts of Oregon:
1. Jackson County (minus Ruch/Applegate/Ashland)
2. Josephine County
3. Umpqua County (bit mixed)
4. Many parts of East Portland past 122nd Ave
5. Many parts of Gresham minus the Hispanic population
6. Deuschutes County (Bend is mixed)
7. Wasco County
8. Marion County
9. Washington County (mostly, minus the minority populations)
10. Most of Eastern Oregon

I'm not being racist here, but this is a true assessment. The minorities in the regions generally lean to the left and skew statistics of the area. Also, many ethnic groups are congregated into specific neighborhoods of these counties, so you will experience a different cultural and political leaning from one neighborhood to the next. My views are in the listed counties, the Caucasian population leans politically to the right, and they do comprise a majority of the populations in these areas. However, the mixed of ethnic groups do skew the statistics more than can be expected, giving people wrong view of the politics in the area.

In general, Oregon is a conservative state minus the liberals concentrated in West and Inner SE Portland were like 30-40% of the population of the state lives. Oregon's rising Hispanic and Asian population also has contributed to the more liberal political leanings. However, these populations generally live concentrated in specific neighborhoods and do not interact too often with people outside their ethnic group. Meaning, these may not be the people you find yourself interacting with if you live in this part of Oregon.
Eugene, Corvallis, Ashland, the North Coast, Hood River to an extent, and most of Washington County are pretty liberal... Bend, Salem, and Medford are pretty moderate, and most of the state really is a patchwork except eastern Oregon which is pretty darn tootin' conservative, as is Douglas (not Umpqua) County--actually the most conservative county in Southern Oregon by the numbers (if we count Klamath as Eastern Oregon--and I do).

And I wouldn't say most Hispanics in the state are actually liberal as White, North Americans think of it... Most are Catholic and socially conservative. They don't skew it nearly as much as the hippies and the ex-Californian yuppie types scattered about all over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM

286 posts, read 281,070 times
Quote:
...However, the mixed of ethnic groups do skew the statistics more than can be expected, giving people wrong view of the politics in the area...
I'm curious as to how the statistics are skewed more than expected?

Statistics are statistics. They portray the correct view of politics in the area.

Quote:
...In general, Oregon is a conservative state minus the liberals concentrated in West and Inner SE Portland...
I guess this comes down to how you define a state. Is it the geographic area or itís population?

States donít vote, its citizens do. If a large majority vote liberal, then itís a liberal state.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,999,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
I'm curious as to how the statistics are skewed more than expected?

Statistics are statistics. They portray the correct view of politics in the area.

I guess this comes down to how you define a state. Is it the geographic area or itís population?

States donít vote, its citizens do. If a large majority vote liberal, then itís a liberal state.
Demographics don't necessarily predict election results in Oregon. Policians in Oregon have a tradition of not buckling to the party line. You would rarely find a state senator or rep that would block vote, and most voters swing the same way.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:12 AM

132 posts, read 284,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
I guess this comes down to how you define a state. Is it the geographic area or it’s population?

States don’t vote, its citizens do. If a large majority vote liberal, then it’s a liberal state.

Well, demographically, Oregon is quite a conservative state. However, a small enclave that contains a majority of the population swings the vote in the state to liberal. So, I guess since west/inner SE Portland is liberal everybody in the state must be liberal now, or else . Oregon, is practically a swing state in most elections, politically. Socially, this state is quite conservative. Oregonians as a whole are reserved, self-conscious, polite and a bit dull. Pioneer and libertarian culture run this state for the most part. There are the California/East Coast transplants and other bleeding hearts who live in the inner and west part of Portland. You can drive for 30 minutes and those people are all gone. Beaverton is like Orange County in California, Hillsboro is like a mix between Bangalore, India, Tijuana and Wyoming. Gresham is a mix of East LA with rural Missouri. Even in PDX area you got a lot of conservatism, in the so-called "liberal part of the state".

Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Well, demographically, Oregon is quite a conservative state. However, a small enclave that contains a majority of the population swings the vote in the state to liberal. So, I guess since west/inner SE Portland is liberal everybody in the state must be liberal now, or else . Oregon, is practically a swing state in most elections, politically. Socially, this state is quite conservative. Oregonians as a whole are reserved, self-conscious, polite and a bit dull. Pioneer and libertarian culture run this state for the most part. There are the California/East Coast transplants and other bleeding hearts who live in the inner and west part of Portland. You can drive for 30 minutes and those people are all gone. Beaverton is like Orange County in California, Hillsboro is like a mix between Bangalore, India, Tijuana and Wyoming. Gresham is a mix of East LA with rural Missouri. Even in PDX area you got a lot of conservatism, in the so-called "liberal part of the state".
Quite conservative... Next to Louisiana? Mississippi? Virginia? I don't think so... And I know quite a few Southerners in Southern Oregon, Eugene area, and throughout PDX and its various burbs.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Quite conservative... Next to Louisiana? Mississippi? Virginia? I don't think so... And I know quite a few Southerners in Southern Oregon, Eugene area, and throughout PDX and its various burbs.
Last I checked, New Orleans and Jackson were quite liberal cities, just check the election statistics. Once again, I repeat: demographics, demographics, demographics..

Yeah, there are a lot of places in Oregon that can make a lot of places in MIssisippi seem liberal. Take a trip to Sweet Home if you don't believe me.. Beware all Tree Huggers..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM

286 posts, read 281,070 times
Quote:
Well, demographically, Oregon is quite a conservative state. However, a small enclave that contains a majority of the population swings the vote in the state to liberal...
Oregonians as a whole have voted Democratic in the last 6 presidential elections and this trend will continue as the state’s population grows. Where they're physically located in the state when they cast their vote is of no consequence.

Quote:
...There are the California/East Coast transplants and other bleeding hearts who live in the inner and west part of Portland...
These ‘California/East Coast transplants’ as you call them are also Oregon citizens. Just when exactly do they become Oregonians in your eyes? After living here for 5, 10 or 20 years? Or maybe only when they realize the error of their ways and start voting for Republicans?!?

Quote:
...You can drive for 30 minutes and those people are all gone...
On this you are correct. Urbanites have always been more liberal and educated, less homophobic and xenophobic than their country bumpkin cousins since they invented cities. This is true all over the world, including our most conservative ‘red’ southeastern states. Yet in these states they’re enough rednecks living in the sticks to outvote their rivals living in the cities.

When this starts happening in Oregon, you’ll be correct to call it a conservative state, don't hold your breath...

Last edited by Dual Citizen CA-OR; 05-13-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
On this you are correct. Urbanites have always been more liberal and educated, less homophobic and xenophobic than their country bumpkin cousins since they invented cities.
I love how you say more "liberal and educated". From what I see, a majority of the welfare recipients, homeless, gangs and high school dropouts all hail from your so-called "educated" liberal areas. I see a lot more uneducated, "liberal" panhandlers in Portland than I do in The Dalles. At least these people work for a living. Education, isn't just getting an A in gay studies or liberal arts. There are a variety of people educated in a great variety of areas of knowledge. I personally think your average auto-mechanic, despite the less years of education is quite a bit more intelligent than that person with a master degree in Art History or Poetry working at Starbucks. Just because they consider blue-collar or people in technical trades as less-educated, doesn't really mean they are truly "less educated".

Anyway, people in the city have their share of phobias. For example, religious people are attacked, mocked and even chastised for their beliefs. I was reading that some homosexual kids at a school in the bay area were mocking this girl for being Mormon, saying she has two mothers. When she said, "that was gay", she was expelled from school. She, obviously had no intention to insult anyone, but rather was just being setup to be attacked. Look at the double-standard? How come those kids didn't get expelled for attacking her religion?

Anyway, I haven't really seen a great deal of intellect concentrated in any liberal or conservative neighborhood. The liberals go to Starbucks get their coffee in a paper cup and throw it in the garbage, just like their so-called "uneducated" cousins.

FYI, I live in a liberal neighborhood in Oregon. I don't mind anyone as long as they mind their own business.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,779,544 times
Quote:
I love how you say more "liberal and educated". From what I see, a majority of the welfare recipients, homeless, gangs and high school dropouts all hail from your so-called "educated" liberal areas. I see a lot more uneducated, "liberal" panhandlers in Portland than I do in The Dalles. At least these people work for a living. Education, isn't just getting an A in gay studies or liberal arts. There are a variety of people educated in a great variety of areas of knowledge. I personally think your average auto-mechanic, despite the less years of education is quite a bit more intelligent than that person with a master degree in Art History or Poetry working at Starbucks. Just because they consider blue-collar or people in technical trades as less-educated, doesn't really mean they are truly "less educated".
You seem to be confusing smarts with "educated."

Education has nothing to do with intelligence, as Intelligence is subjective. Education is not subjective as it has measurable quantities.

But there is a direct correlation between Education and Liberalism. This is why cities with a large middle class tend to be Liberal especially in relation to surrounding rural areas.

This has been true throughout history and is directly related to the start of the Dark Ages, to the Reformation Period, the Renaissance, to the American/French/etc Revolutions, to the October Revolution, the protests of the 60's, Tiananmen Square, the WTO Riots, the Middle East today.

The names and exact roles (as has the degree of liberalism or conservatism,) have changed throughout history, but the "liberals" were the Educated Classes - those who attended Universities and Institutes of Higher Learning, or went out of their way to study. The Conservatives rarely are. You rarely see a revolution (of any sort,) started by rural farmers or factory workers, it's always the Educated Class.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Last I checked, New Orleans and Jackson were quite liberal cities, just check the election statistics. Once again, I repeat: demographics, demographics, demographics..

Yeah, there are a lot of places in Oregon that can make a lot of places in MIssisippi seem liberal. Take a trip to Sweet Home if you don't believe me.. Beware all Tree Huggers..
Jackson? Liberal? Are you kidding? And yes, I've been to Sweet Home... I am an Oregon native, thank you. I've been around the block, even if it's just one time.

Oh... And what hamellr said too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon