Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

I guess if you look at a map, Oregon is much more red than blue. That's largely irrelevant though, since the places where people actually live (I5 from Portland to a bit past Eugene) are purple to deep blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,581,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I guess if you look at a map, Oregon is much more red than blue. That's largely irrelevant though, since the places where people actually live (I5 from Portland to a bit past Eugene) are purple to deep blue.
That's a simplistic way of looking at it. Many Oregonians vote democratic because the Democrats are conservative and the Republicans are lunatics.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 PM

5,405 posts, read 8,089,696 times
This Gallup poll shows the USA as a whole to be politically center-right. This conforms to the results of many other polls. It also breaks it down by states & DC.

State of the States

Among the states & DC, Oregon is the 7th most liberal.

How Oregonians identify themselves:

Liberal - 26.3%
Moderate - 35.3%
Conservative - 34.5%

Democratic/Lean - 47.5%
Republican/Lean - 35.8

My interpretation is that while the country as a whole is center-right, Oregon as a whole is probably centrist. Also, being a Democrat doesn’t always mean that you are a hard liberal, and being a Republican doesn’t always mean that you are a hard conservative. In my experience, most Oregonians, whether they are Independent, Democratic, or Republican, are politically at the center, or at the left or right of the center - they aren’t at the extremes. However, the ones at the extremes make all the noise.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM

129 posts, read 581,625 times
It's funny, Oregon is a liberal state, because a 30 mi sq radius of the state is liberal. If anyone wants to know if living in Oregon is a liberal/conservative experience ( the original question), then you will be misleading them saying Oregon is a liberal state. Rather, to be properly informative, you will say Portland is a liberal city, but ORegon is a backwoods, libertarian, pioneer-descended conservative state. Remember, loggers and ranchers, not California yuppies built this state from the dust and now it is evolving due to the new types of people who have settled here. However, most of these liberal types settled in small parts of the state. It is like saying Louisiana is a liberal state, because it hosts the Mardi Gras.. Totally false..

Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
That's a simplistic way of looking at it.
How is it simplistic? It is a fact that the population centers of the state tilt are either pretty moderate (in the case of Salem) or very progressive (in the case of Portland and Eugene). And it's also a fact that Oregon is one of the (self-identified) most liberal states in the country. To pretend otherwise is simply absurd.

Quote:
It is like saying Louisiana is a liberal state, because it hosts the Mardi Gras.. Totally false..
No, it's really not like that at all. It would be like saying Louisiana is a conservative state because it votes for conservative politicians and enacts conservative policies.

I will never understand the desire of many of those on the conservative side of the aisle to paint the liberal side as less significant because it happens to be concentrated in urban areas, regardless of the actual populations or how people vote or causes people support.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 PM

512 posts, read 1,750,824 times
Reading some of these replies, you would think that conservatives are backwards, uneducated people. The types of conservatives I know are typically wealthier, more cultured, and more educated than the liberals that I know. That said, I'm a libertarian, so my type of conservatism is more of the Ron Paul type.

Of course, I like to remind people that the KKK was started by a bunch of Democrats.

Anyway, some of the pretentious attitudes of the liberals on this thread have me scratching my head. I thought they were all slow to judge others by the way they live.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM

286 posts, read 519,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
Reading some of these replies, you would think that conservatives are backwards, uneducated people. The types of conservatives I know are typically wealthier, more cultured, and more educated than the liberals that I know. That said, I'm a libertarian, so my type of conservatism is more of the Ron Paul type.

Of course, I like to remind people that the KKK was started by a bunch of Democrats.

Anyway, some of the pretentious attitudes of the liberals on this thread have me scratching my head. I thought they were all slow to judge others by the way they live.
Well I'd like to remind everyone the people that the KKK was started by were a bunch of conservatives. They left the Democratic party and joined the Republicans after America had the nerve to pass civil rights legislation.

And of course liberals have no monopoly on pretentiousness.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM

165 posts, read 138,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
It's funny, Oregon is a liberal state, because a 30 mi sq radius of the state is liberal. If anyone wants to know if living in Oregon is a liberal/conservative experience ( the original question), then you will be misleading them saying Oregon is a liberal state. Rather, to be properly informative, you will say Portland is a liberal city, but ORegon is a backwoods, libertarian, pioneer-descended conservative state. Remember, loggers and ranchers, not California yuppies built this state from the dust and now it is evolving due to the new types of people who have settled here. However, most of these liberal types settled in small parts of the state. It is like saying Louisiana is a liberal state, because it hosts the Mardi Gras.. Totally false..
So do you think votes should be based on land area, and not human beings? Cows vs. Cars?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Well I'd like to remind everyone the people that the KKK was started by were a bunch of conservatives. They left the Democratic party and joined the Republicans after America had the nerve to pass civil rights legislation.

And of course liberals have no monopoly on pretentiousness.
I like to then remind people that the Neocons of today are the chicken hawks who left the Democratic party in the 60's and 70's.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBeav View Post
So do you think votes should be based on land area, and not human beings? Cows vs. Cars?
Used to be, you had to be a large property owner to vote. There is something to say about a nation that allows massive amounts of dependents vote. Not saying I'm against it, but of course, certain liberal enclaves are going to have higher taxes against the middle class and wealthy if the majority of their constituents fall under the poverty line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon